Tjrez

Metal purist attitude slowly fading

44 posts in this topic

I hadn't really considered the time value per mini and I can certainly understand that if you're investing so many hours to make something look great, you want to start with the best materials. Still, for me right now, Bones means I get more minis to paint, so as to hone my skills. If there is one bit of advice that seems to be completely agreed upon by everyone here is that, to get better, you need to keep painting and learning.  Bones provide that for me on my paltry income. One day when I paint like Wren, I will be standing on hundreds (probably thousands) of bones minis who had willing been sacrificed  with bad paint jobs to get to that level.

15 people like this

I started with bones and now that I've played more with them and felt like it was worth working on more expensive minis (and because of the anniversary event) I've started picking up some metal minis and I was really astounded how much painting metal made me feel like my skills had leveled up.

So I'd definitely say that metal is easier to paint well... but bones are good fun to practice on and I love them for getting multiples for gaming. I think a lot of us are GMs who use bones to torment challenge our players.

11 people like this

I wanted to add that for many of the reasons already stated, I do very much recommend Bones to new painters, and I especially recommend the Learn to Paint Kits. When I was new to the hobby, I found metal miniatures very intimidating due to some of them being in so many parts and the drilling and the pinning. It still intimidates me sometimes, to be honest and pinning is one of my least favourite things ever. But Bones don't generally require much assembly, if any, and thus also rarely any drilling or pinning. IMO, that makes them perfect for beginners, younger painters and painters who don't have steady hands. Anyone and everyone should be able to enjoy painting....no one enjoys stabbing themselves with a drill bit.

13 people like this

I paint everything!!!

*** Looks at neighbour's cat***

7 people like this

Im going to paint the anti paladin as my first one for Matthew Clarks contest. Looks like we have all summer

1 person likes this

I personally like metal better too! I tried some of the smaller bones figures and they just didn't turn out as well as i think they could have been (but i also have little experience painting bones). That being said I rarely play with my miniatures, most of them are for display only. Therefore I don't have to worry about them getting handled a lot or transported. I do have some bigger bones pieces and i think those are just fabulous! The detail is great and the weight on very big "minis" can actually add quite a bit to an already full and heavy rpg bag. And well the price is ofc a huge factor. Price for a large model plus international shipping (most overseas retailed don't stock many larger models) and customs....is just a little too much for my wallet. The big bones models seem easier to find here and are more affordable. But I think I will stick to metal when it comes to smaller ones...for now at least ^^.

6 people like this

I still prefer metal miniatures over Bones.  It's partly because I've painted metal for 30+ years and partly the unique properties of the material.  Don't get me wrong, I've invested heavily in Bones - primarily because it's the only way some figs are being released - but it isn't my preferred medium for miniatures.  And this extends to even the largest figs.  Given a choice, I'd rather save up the cash for a pricier metal or resin cast than opt for the cheaper Bones version.  YMMV.

The Egg   

2 people like this

I dont have too many Bones, as I prefer metal still, but I fully appreciate the fact that you can drop a figure and it won't break or chip. I just had a metal dragon I had glued and pinned, but of course dropped it and now he's in three separate pieces. 

1 person likes this

And I should also mention I was extremely thrilled to see the female elf blacksmith and the female hobgoblin archer come out in metal. I snatched those right up and hope someday to add them to the queue.  

4 people like this

Considering that the cat 'helped' Maashaf onto the floor (finished, but not sealed or anything), earlier today and nothing came off or even chipped, I'd say it's a selling point for the Bones.

... but, dangit, I like the weight of the metal. :/

Even if I suspect that metal Maashaf would dent my floor. o.O

9 people like this

I have to add something. People tend to complain a lot about the bendyness of the weapons, but honestly tin bends a lot too. And tin breaks if you bend it enough. At least with the bones versions, your weapon isn't gonna fall off because it bends a lot. I've got two PC minis that have swords held over their heads and transporting them safely is a constant concern of mine. In fact, any of my minis with staves or polearms or weapons that just stick out, give me worries.

Thats another reason I do tend to prefer the less dynamic, one piece mold minis: they don't have as many bendy parts. Maybe one day I won't have to transport my minis to the gaming site and they can sit in a cabinet being pretty. But until then bent tin weapons are a nightmare.

7 people like this

Personally, I am starting to kinda hate metal. My plastic minis stand up to use and abuse, while my metals fade and chip constantly. My bones get stored in a crammed little box, my metals need soft wrapping and careful protection. My bones are easy to mod, and if I mess up a conversion easy to replace.

I don't paint art though... I'm a passably good painter but I'm never going to be in it for a competition. The quality difference is not on my radar.

7 people like this

The ones I go to to see what a skilled painter can do with Bones vs. Metal are Adrift's comparison threads:

5 people like this

Some of the recent Bones dragons are simply wonderful - taking advantage of the material to achieve poses that just would not work with the heavier pewter used for the metal figures - Knarthrax and the dragon from Dragons Don't Share II being excellent examples.

As for why Bones have become my main figures for use... a couple of weeks ago one of my human sized figures survived the ultimate challenge - an excited kitten!

I think the figure had covered every inch of a kitchen floor before we finally managed to subdue the miscreant feline. ::P:

The Auld Grump - and bounced off of every wall, at least once....

12 people like this