Tjrez

Reapercon classes

15 posts in this topic

Do you guys record and make these classes available on dvd or anything?

Man I wish!  But no. The classes are considered to be a convention exclusive.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I would like to go but I dunno how my service dog would take it, would be super long days for her .

Edited by Tjrez

Posted (edited)

Well you certainly know best for your dog. It may be worth coming for just one day like Saturday. Then picking up a couple of classes that are still available and see how it goes. If your animal does well then maybe next year you could invest more time. If you came on Saturday, you could still enter into the paint contest and stay for the awards at the end of the day.  :D  

*** I see now that your a Colorado resident. So it would be a major investment of time and travel to come.  Well, I hope that you can make it some time.

Edited by DixonGrfx

Posted (edited)

Heres an idea... VR... Virtual Reapercon for people who cant attend but would like to attend the classes. hehe i dunno, just hoping i guess;) . 

23 minutes ago, DixonGrfx said:

* I see now that your a Colorado resident. So it would be a major investment of time and travel to come.  Well, I hope that you can make it some time.

ya it would be, but i think it would be worth it. I may only be two states away but our international friends will probably never get a chance to attend or see .. which is unfortunate. I see blizzard does this virtual thing for its shows. May not only be beneficial to the artist but also may be good marketiñ thing. just sayin ;)

Edited by Tjrez

6 minutes ago, Tjrez said:

Heres an idea... VR... Virtual Reapercon for people who cant attend but would like to attend the classes. hehe i dunno, just hoping i guess;) . 

ya it would be, but i think it would be worth it

There has been some talk this year of live streaming some events. Not all, and not even very many, but some.

Classes are not included in this mix, unless one of our video presenters decides they want to offer a livestream class independent of the offerings on the schedule.

6 people like this

I'm not really certain what your dog's needs are, but if it is a matter of breaks and the like, consider the following:

The ReaperCon day is typically 9:00 to 6:00, with the hall open until 10:00 to 11:00 (this is past event information, subject to change)

You could schedule all 10:00 classes, come from 9:30 to 12:30 and return to the hotel to let your dog have a rest.  At the hotel you can practice what you learn.  Then return to the conference at 6:00 for dinner and the evening painting with people.  That way you'd still get a class a day and give your dog a break.

(We also paint and play at the hotel after hours as well, usually until the wee hours, with everyone bowing out when they need to. )

I guess my point is that ReaperCon is a pretty relaxed atmosphere, so you might be able to come with some personal schedule adjustments.

If you are worried about rides and such, there are shuttles to and from the hotel, and plenty of us with cars who would help, me for instance.  I'd be willing to take you and your pup back to the hotel any time I'm not teaching.

Just a thought.

Andy Pieper

11 people like this

Ya know...  The BONES conversion classes would make a great test if you ever thought about streaming classes on a case by case basis. Or even if you did a panel on the properties of BONES, like the dos and don'ts of priming, how to "reset" the pose of a figure, that kind of thing.  That might go over pretty well as a marketing / promotional broadcast.  You could make a point of possibly taking questions from those watching via the internet.  Just a thought.

2 people like this

I also could be available for transport (schedule permitting).  I'll have my wife's transportation (I'm not supposed to use the word that implies small and passenger / cargo vehicle) and we have three dogs at home... so I am sympathetic.  I will be there all days, so once classes start becoming available and I can pin down my schedule, send me a PM and we can work it out if you want to come.

3 people like this

There's at least one other person who regularly attends with a service dog I believe. Though of course every dog is different and you are the person to best be able to judge what you and and your dog can cope with.

Some of the artists teach at other conventions, some have teaching projects via Patreon or other companies, or sell DVDs. Many of us either fund our ability to attend conventions or our income through teaching as much or more as by selling painted miniatures. So there is a reasonable concern that to make what we do too freely and too widely available would reduce our ability to do what we do. (I have traveled to 2-4 conventions a year for 12+ years and paid for many, many classes, materials, DVDs, etc. to learn to be able to do what I do, and then a lot of time on top of that creating handouts and painting examples to be able to teach what I do.)

There's also the issue that, just as with attendees, many of the artists are super introverted, or would feel highly uncomfortable with being filmed for other personal reasons. 

I get the impulse for why people would like it to happen, and I completely understand the frustration of not being able to travel to events, I'm just shedding a little light on some of the other POVs.

12 people like this

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Wren said:

There's also the issue that, just as with attendees, many of the artists are super introverted, or would feel highly uncomfortable with being filmed for other personal reasons. 

That came to mind after I posted it that some people wouldnt want to be seen on tv. 

3 hours ago, Wren said:

So there is a reasonable concern that to make what we do too freely and too widely available would reduce our ability to do what we do

I wasnt even consideriñ you guys would do it for free. Maybe i was thinking you guys' commission would be compensated by online virtual ticket sale. I dunno it was all just a thoûght, had to throw it out there. I thiñk ill have to work this into my 2018 vacation tho. Is this held in Denton at same place every year?

Edited by Tjrez

Before I was an attendant, they held it at the Reaper factory. 2014 and 2015 they held it at the Hilton hotel. In 2015 it was in April? May? In 2016 it was in October at an event building (I have forgotten, it wasn't a memorable name for me to remember). Reapercon keeps growing each year and Reaper has to alter locations to accommodate the attendees.  

--- edit ---

The places they have held the convention have been close to each other driving wise.

3 people like this

PEC I believe was the name.  Premiere Event Center.  Not sure Premiere is the correct word for the building or area but it was a nice size and still in the same location.  Better than it being out of state and I either don't go or have to travel if I want to go.

2 people like this

If you are ever able to make it to Total Escape Games for the CMPA monthly meetup (coming up this weekend), we have some great resources that come about every month--some of them have taught at ReaperCon, so you do have "local" resources you could get part of the experience of the classes.  We have Michael Proctor and Gene Van Horne here--not to mention numerous others.

4 people like this

On 5/16/2017 at 8:25 AM, hungerfan said:

PEC I believe was the name.  Premiere Event Center.  Not sure Premiere is the correct word for the building or area but it was a nice size and still in the same location.  Better than it being out of state and I either don't go or have to travel if I want to go.

Yup PEC is correct!

http://premiereventcenterlewisville.com/

Just don't google or go to the Lewisville Event Center. It's inbetween the HGI  & PEC. First trip there last year (Weds MnG) I used google to get us there & only put in Event Center. It's a old abandoned Best Buy.

1 person likes this