Jordan Peacock

FIRE! 77202 & 77058 for Iron Kingdoms

8 posts in this topic

the_reclaimer_and_his_strange_companions

One of the PCs in my ongoing Iron Kingdoms Full Metal Fantasy campaign is a priest of the Old Faith (a Khador-based offshoot of the worship of Menoth).  Menoth's four gifts to Mankind include civilization/law, architecture, agriculture, and ... FIRE!  Priests of Menoth tend to be best known for the latter gift -- especially this one.  It's also impacted the sort of oddball companions he's picked up along the way in this adventure.

The "dancing flaming firebrand" on the left is actually the flaming sword from Reaper Bones #77058, "Almaran the Gold, Paladin," carefully carved out from his hand so that I can give the guy a suitable replacement later on.  This used to be "just" a flaming sword that the priest had acquired, but the adventurers had ventured into the ruins of a collapsed academy where magical research was being undertaken into an anomaly that caused inanimate objects to spring to life (creating such menaces as junk golems and animatons, among others).  After having the flaming magical effects of his sword apparently negated by the peculiar magic-scrambling effects of some animatons, the priest figured that the sword was desecrated and no better than a crowbar when it came to trying to pry open the warded hatch that led to the chamber at the center of the anomaly.  He only managed to get the hatch partway open, exposing the blade in the process.  It was some time later when the sword started inexplicably getting out of his scabbard and then being found in odd places....

On the right is Reaper Bones #77202, starting from a base figure that I've found a number of uses for.  (Next on my agenda: give it two heads and use it for an Argus.)  I used threads of Apoxie Sculpt epoxy putty to make "flames" for the mane, tail, shoulders, and "fetlocks" (ankle areas) to turn this into an "Urcaenhound."  ("Urcaen" is the name of the spirit world in the Iron Kingdoms setting, whereas Caen is the name of the physical world.  "Urcaen" fills the role of both Heaven and Hell in the Iron Kingdoms cosmology -- it's just a matter of what part of Urcaen you find yourself in.)

12 people like this

Firewolf!!!

Love it!!!

Very nice sculpting and painting both!  So the flaming lupine is a companion?  I can just imagine trying to bring it into town.  "Pardon me, adventurer, but we have a no smoking pets rule here,"

1 person likes this

love the backstory, and some nicely painted figures. I carved that flaming sword of the paladin as well.  :) 

15 hours ago, InvisibleThumb said:

Very nice sculpting and painting both!  So the flaming lupine is a companion?  I can just imagine trying to bring it into town.  "Pardon me, adventurer, but we have a no smoking pets rule here,"

Yeah, it was actually not entirely planned.  One quirk of the character is that he serves Menoth, who is the Creator of Man.  And dogs are Man's Best Friend, so surely dogs are holy to Menoth, right?  For similar reasons, horses.  The player hopes to eventually, when he reaches Epic level, get some sort of awesome mount like THIS:

32126_Feora_The%20Conquering%20Flame_WEB

Anyway, this all happened when the PCs were visiting the Cryxian pirate port city of Blackwater.  The priest was disguised, as HIS KIND weren't exactly celebrated in such a place ("Cryx" is an evil faction that's heavily into undeath and "necrotech" -- and piracy), and in a place called the "Carnivale Macabre," a giant colossal monster the PCs had escaped earlier was on the prowl, retracing their steps -- and slowly but assuredly catching up with their ship.  In the process, it had started tearing up this place, and started a fire.  I had called for Detection checks, and nobody else noticed anything going on (they had other things to worry about), except for the priest who -- despite rolling ones and twos for most of the night, happened to roll double-sixes -- a critical success -- on this particular check.  He saw a dog, on fire, on the loose.  The priest, alas, is MUTE, and nobody else in the group had bothered to learn sign language, so he couldn't exactly say, "Help!  There's a flaming dog!"  So he basically charged down the alley on his own, and blundered right into a big scene of destruction.  He evaded several escaped animal exhibits from the carnival's "zoo," outpaced the colossal monster, and focused on his original mission of either putting out the fire on that poor dog or putting it out of its misery.  I asked him to roll an Animal Handling check -- a skill that he didn't have, and something he had a penalty to because (again) he can't talk, so he was almost guaranteed to fail ... except that he rolled box-cars (a critical success!) right in front of us all.  At first it was going to be a case of a panicking dog attacking anything that got too close, making the priest's good deed all that more of a challenge.  But with a roll like that?

I'd planned to have an "Urcaenhound" show up eventually, but I hadn't done the mini up yet.  Here, however, it just felt like "Menoth's will" with those crazy die rolls, so -- behold!  This isn't merely a dog on fire.  Rather ... it is a fiery dog!  So at that stage, I'd painted up and based the model, but as a mere oversized white dog/wolf/thing (since its unusual size was good enough to justify why it'd be in a "zoo"), but I handed over stats for the priest's new buddy.  The Urcaenhound's "guard dog" ability actually proved vital to keeping the priest alive as he sought to escape the confrontation (not least because of his do-gooder urges to rescue two random people -- one of whom had actually tried to attack him a round or two ago in the panic before being picked up by the colossal and thrown across the battle area and knocked out).  So, now he's got a magical fire-dog sidekick.  So far, especially since he has no real way to go, "Here boy -- FETCH!" or "SIC 'IM!" the dog mostly just stays by his side, giving him a slight defensive bonus, and an extra target for enemies to divide their attention across.

But more importantly, having a big flaming dog just LOOKS COOL.  I'll try to have a suitably challenging opportunity to find a flaming horse if our campaign lasts long enough for the PCs to reach Epic level.  I'm not willing to buy the Feora model just so I can pull the rider off and put a copy of this priest model in its stead, so it will likely involve some kitbashing of a Reaper model -- say, 77029, Silverhorn, since I could see turning those fetlocks into flames.

3 people like this

Awesome story!  I'm sure the flame hound is more valuable to the character than some random magic item or weapon too. Will this companion need to be lost in order to gain the fiery steed?  That would be hard.

39 minutes ago, InvisibleThumb said:

Awesome story!  I'm sure the flame hound is more valuable to the character than some random magic item or weapon too. Will this companion need to be lost in order to gain the fiery steed?  That would be hard.

No, I'm not running this like Skyrim or Fallout where you can only have one companion at a time, and the old one has to go before you can pick up a new one.  ;)  In fact, in my original plan, he was going to have a chance at getting TWO dogs: a White Cadejo and a Black Cadejo.  There was also going to be a bit of a "boss-fight" sort of situation, to prove his worthiness, and the priest wouldn't be able to use his typical means of solving problems ("PURIFY IT WITH FIRE!") because he'd be up against something immune to fire.  Now, I think I'll save that basic idea for the horse: If he's going to have an epic fiery horse, it's not just going to trot up quietly and let him saddle it up.  Some sort of challenge should be in order.  (I shudder to think how much of an anticlimax it would be if the priest doesn't "pass," but perhaps it's something he could try again later, after a bit of training and meditation, if the first attempt doesn't go well.)

But we're still a long way from "Epic" level, so I've got a while to hammer out the details (and work on a conversion).  Alas, there's no canon to go by on what EXACTLY it is that Feora is riding in that model example, and how one goes about picking up a flaming horse, so it looks like it's up to me to make stuff up.  I have a couple of "nightmare" conversions I could easily use as a starting point from some old d20 campaigns, if I don't just start fresh with Silverhorn; a deciding factor will probably be the bulk and size of the fiery horse mini, as Warmachine/Hordes minis get upward into the bulky side of things.  I've got a spare Kreoss or two (I've gotten some grab-bag deals where apparently someone got the idea of buying extras of the Menoth starter kit just for the stompy robots, and didn't need an extra Kreoss) that I can use for the rider, but I want to make sure the horse-and-rider combo isn't ridiculously top-heavy.

I don't know if I'll try to replicate the armor look entirely of the Feora model's mount -- even if I were to pretend that I COULD.  In particular, those "exhaust pipes" are kind of awesome, and kind of ridiculous, and of dubious functionality.  :D

1 person likes this

Great work on the conversions, and the painting!