Sharkbelly

Desert Thing

8 posts in this topic

I picture this fellow camped out on the sea floor. Here it is with a little primer on it.

image.jpeg

I'm thinking about a pink/purple color scheme.

5 people like this

Good Idea!

Here are pictures of the first dry brushing and then a flesh wash on top.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Sharkbelly
5 people like this

Good Progress.

You could put a little fish or aquatic familiar between those tentacles to give it a underwater feel.

That's a cool idea. I'll have to see what I can dig up...

I made a base for the critter, flocked the edges, and painted the sand.

image.jpeg

3 people like this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Pochi
      This is my used artifact merchant. I am very happy with the paint job on him. I am less happy with the fight he and I had over being pinned.

I have had him finished for awhile but when I went to pin him on a different base, the pin popped out the side of his foot, chipping the paint and making me mad at him. He was sent to time out in a tupperware for a few months until I took him to paint day today to be based.

I touched up the chipped paint (when his pin broke, I dropped him so he had a few scuffs) and made a new, simple base for him. I used the Bones jars as an accent on his base. His foot is a little wonky and I didn't want to do any more harm to him trying to straighten it so I will live with it.

Besides the pinning accident, he is a very fun little guy to paint with lots of character. I was not keen to attempt more freehand than on the stripes on the pants but for someone with more confidence, his vest begs for a design! Hope you like him!

• By chaoshead
      About twenty years or so ago a game came out that I fell in love with, a game that touched my inner Ork and spoke to me in a nice simple language that I could easily understand.

A game of Orks and vehicles, white knuckle speed and vicious combat, mutants and huge explosions all set in an arid desert wasteland.  What's not to love, right!?!?

That game is GORKAMORKA!

Anyway, my son, who is younger than the game by a few months, recently watched a few videos of the game on the mwg youtube channel and decided "Hey Dad, we should play a Gorkamorka campaign."

"We have no terrain or vehicles for the game anymore." I said calmly, trying to hide my interest and excitement thinking this would just make the subject go away because even though I love the game, this immediately raised a red flag of me building a ton of terrain and vehicles while everyone else just got to play in the end.  "We would literally have to build everything we needed.  So unless you are going to help with every single step along the way, its not happening."  I figured that would be the end of it because he is not a big fan of the building process, just the playing process.

There was a VERY brief moment of silence and then, "Okay....what would we have to do?"

We sat down that night with the books, looked at game pics and desert pics on the web, watched some of the videos on youtube from the mwg guys and made a list of scenery that we would need to play the game.

Flash forward about two weeks to two days ago when we find ourselves in one of the local home improvement stores and end up coming home with most of what we need as far as the main supplies go.  Two 2' x 4' x 1/4" sheets of mdf and one 4' x 8' x 1" sheet of insulation foam.

That night we laid out the rough ideas we had for the two cliff faces, this took quite a while actually as I kept going back and forth between depth of protrusion onto the board and playability.  I wanted them to not take up too much room but still have enough space on top to maneuver small and medium vehicles while larger ones may only be able to go in a straight line.  Each cliff also needed a single ramp for vehicle access.

The following day we sketched out the bases for the rest of the larger terrain pieces.  I had to remind him that we didn't want to waste the material so we needed to cram as much as we can onto each board.

Today we were both off so we decided to spend it working on terrain.  First thing we needed to do was to cut out all the bases.

An extra piece of mdf from an old project was also turned into a dune.

Next we laid out all the bases onto the foam and traced all the shapes, making sure we had enough space to get everything on took some rearranging but we managed it.  By a very huge bit of dumb luck when I scored the sheet of foam and broke it in two, so we could get it in the van and home, I made one piece slightly larger than the other.  While at the time I was a little bit upset at myself for not bringing a tape measure, this ended up working perfectly.  I am not sure had it ended up in exactly half that we would have been able to get everything on the two sheets half sheets.

We then cut out all the foam shapes and laid them out onto their respective bases to see what we ended up with.

And the extra dune.

The space shown is a 4' x 4' chunk of the game table, I think we did pretty good on not wasting the mdf.

The bases without foam are not getting a full level, just a small ring around the edge and will represent the tar pits, mine and chem pool.

The dunes were all attached to their bases with liquid nails, weighed down and left to dry for the night.

That's where we are now, not too bad for one day really.

We both had fun and he is already talking about getting a trukk and chopping it up to make it into a lower riding trukk to run over my grots...because I guess that is what I am playing again...probably, I like the little underdogs.
    • By empi2k
      Hi folks,

I finished another dragon last week. I have been waiting for the Pathfinder Dragon to be available as a Bones miniature for quite some time, because I needed a nice blue dragon miniature. Yes, like many others in this forum playing D&D, I think a dragon with a single horn on its nose must of course be a blue one. And as such, I gave him a desert base.

I'm not too proud of how it turned out. I guess it's okay for tabletop. I tried different options with his wings, but in the end the color differences are too subtle. Also, I way too lazy to paint the scales individually, so the contrast/shading could be better, especially on the arms. But again, it was suitable enough to scare my players at Xonthal's Tower :)

C&C welcome!

• By Darcstaar
      Hi everyone.
      This is my version of Danar.
      Sculpted by Dennis Mize.
      I originally modified this figure to match my character in Flamehawke's PBP.
      It was a desert ranger specializing in sword and spiked shield two-weapon style.
      I chopped off its arm and spliced on one of the goblin's arms from Bones 6 pack of goblins 77030

I wanted light colors which would do well in a desert.  I was pleased with both the white and yellow.
      The region in Pathfinder he comes from has a flag which is white, yellow and red.  So, I painted the Celtic knot red to break up the all white cloak, and put red under the shield.
      This was an attempt at TMM on the sword and shield, but I was very unhappy with it.

I also am not quite happy with the sand color, but it was an experiment.  It was my first use of Pumpkin orange!
      I think it looks less Arizona desert, and more Martian landscape!

I was hoping to add to the base with a barrel cactus, steer skull, and scorpion, but put that on the back burner while I work on other projects.

Enjoy.
    • By Pochi
      Yes, Jafar has an evil twin. He decided that "phenomenal cosmic power but itty bitty living space" wasn't his thing so he decided to go a different route to achieve his fame and fortune. His name is Aziz and he has been working on ways to call forth the dead.

I am running an Egyptian based Earthdawn game and realized I paint lots of pretty girls and hardly have any guys (good or bad) even though I do buy males. So, for the past couple weeks I have been working on all male figures - mummies, merchants, a cat...hey, it's a boy cat!, and Aziz. Now I am trying to get everything on bases.

So, I had considered putting Aziz on a desert base or a temple floor base but I didn't have what I was looking for so went searching through a friend's box of goodies. He tossed me this base and said "Here ya go, make it lava." Well, I didn't "see" lava when I looked at him but thought I could do something to match the green of the flame coming from the skull. I then had the idea of a hand reaching out of the....goo?....slime?....stuff? So, we started digging through the rest of his stuff and found some arms and heads (also bodies but I didn't want the whole thing) so I chose what I wanted and went to work on his base. I also used Chaoswolf's tutorial on making stringy blood to make dripping goo off the zombie guy's hand. Pretty pleased with how it turned out!

As for the pictures, the green is bright (Valejo Fluorescent Green) but not quite as bright as the pictures make it look. In the base there is actually some yellow and white swirled in and then I mixed some green ink with realistic water and poured that over everything. You can't really see any of the details in the photos. I might try different photos with lights angled differently or something.

Anyway, here he is! Questions, comments, critiques welcome and encouraged!

• Who's Online   70 Members, 5 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)