haldir

mirrors for miniature scale

10 posts in this topic

Anyone make any? If not what size/scale would I need to look for in doll house items? Mainly looking for full length ones but over the dresser style would work as well.

thanks!

If you end up having to make your own miniature mirror, consider buying something like plastic mirror sheets.  They should be easy to cut to size, and usually available at craft / hobby / sewing stores.

Also at the scale you're working, you'll probably want the mirrored surface on the top surface (like a polished metal or chromed surface), rather than behind the glass/plastic.  Otherwise it will look out of scale.

3 people like this

Standard dollhouse scale is 1:12 (one inch = one foot), which is a lot larger than miniatures scale.  

You might be able to find compact mirrors for dollhouses, although most would look pretty large (great, however, if you're outfitting the palace of Versailles).

For people with less space, there are apparently 1/4 scale dollhouses (1:48, or one quarter inch = one foot) which are pretty much at miniatures scale, as close as makes little difference.

If you Google "1:48 dollhouse mirror" or "1/48 dollhouse mirror" (both give the same results) you will find a lot of little gems. (Holy cow, will you ever!  Those remind me of why I was interested in dollhouses in the first place, before I switched my hobby interests to the more action-oriented D&D miniatures around age thirteen.).  Apparently 3D printing has liberated a lot of tiny furniture enthusiasts.

Then there are 1:144 scale dollhouses -- essentially dollhouses for dollhouses -- and you can sometimes find furniture sets for them that would include mirrors, although if they had mirrors they would be more CAV scale (approx. 10mm) than 28mm.

2 people like this

I don't know of any specific mirror miniatures, but I have previously found sheets of mirror finish vac metal plastic in model train stores that can be easily cut to shape.

1 person likes this

1/4" scale, if you can find it. But if you're going cheap, for some kind of tabletop game get a sheet of the plastic mirror stuff at a craft store. You can make frames out of card stock or clay.  If you want to get a bit fancier, hit the bead and jewelry section  and look for mini picture frame charms. Usually several in a pack with fancy borders, about an inch high. Cut mirror plastic to fit. 

Warning, superglue will fog mirror plastic so be careful. 

Ral Partha  IronWind Metals has a 25mm scale standing oval mirror with a snake frame. I don't know how you'd find it on their website. You should probably email them and ask. I will see if I can find the picture of mine. 

2 people like this

5 minutes ago, Inarah said:

... If you want to get a bit fancier, hit the bead and jewelry section  and look for mini picture frame charms. Usually several in a pack with fancy borders, about an inch high. Cut mirror plastic to fit. 

Thank you for the reminder!  I've seen packs of just that sort of thing in the jewelry section at Michaels.

1 person likes this

Silvered mylar (of the sort used in emergency* blankets) works pretty well to create a miniatures scale mirrored surface. It's a bit translucent, so you will probably do best to use a black surface before you attach the mylar. And if you can manage to use up an entire blanket's worth, I will be seriously impressed.

* Which I still think of as "space" blankets. This might say something about my age. Nothing good, I'm afraid. ^_^

5 people like this

Dungeon terrain items from Ironwind. They were selling these at Gencon. IIRC the square tiles were about 1.25". DSCN4336.JPG.5ee651260edebc28388c22e2887691a7.JPG

4 people like this

Scotia Grendel 10027 Magician's Accessories

10027_magicians_accessories.gif

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

51 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Silvered mylar (of the sort used in emergency* blankets) works pretty well to create a miniatures scale mirrored surface. It's a bit translucent, so you will probably do best to use a black surface before you attach the mylar. And if you can manage to use up an entire blanket's worth, I will be seriously impressed.

* Which I still think of as "space" blankets. This might say something about my age. Nothing good, I'm afraid. ^_^

The kind used for party balloons is even better.

For smaller, hand held mirrors, mylar confetti works well, and comes in all sorts of interesting shapes.

It is even possible, with an LED and some careful back painting, to make a 'Magic Mirror' that has a face when the LED is turned on.

The Auld Grump - I learned that a long time ago, making a haunted dollhouse for my then girlfriend. (I also made her a trailer home dollhouse - complete with exploded tire planters....)

Edited by TheAuldGrump
5 people like this