Zchidzo

The value of a vampire pledge

20 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, i hope one of you guys can help me. I wrote to Reapers help desk but they said they have no easy way of helping me. 

My problem is that my minis from the first bones kickstarter, a vampire level pledge without any addons, have been ruined. 

Ruined, you say? Well yes. They are coated in a noxious mix of rotten seals blood and dirty melt water. I had them stored in my shed. The shed shares a wall with a neighbours shed, and under that wall the nasty gunk had seeped. 

Now I'm insured against this sort of thing (against flooding destroying my stuff in generel, not against seal blood invasions specifically, but still.) the problem is, I've never sat down and figured out how much the minis are worth.

I need to give the insurance company a figure for the damages claim, and it needs to be the value of replacing the minis today, not the price of the pledge then.

Now then, reaper doesn't have an easy way of figuring the value. Has anyone here ever figured out how much those minis would cost if bought individually? 

Apparently reaper didn't think to seal blood proof the minis. Why they even claim that this is a problem they hadn't encountered before. 

Of course we all know the seal blood related perils of miniature gaming. :)

I've tried to figure it out and i guesstimate that it might be about 700-1000 dollars to replace, does anyone have a more precise figure? 

Thanks in advance Rasmus.

Posted (edited)

You can easily find what the current market value of a Vampire pledge is by searching the completed sales for them on eBay.

Edit:  Just looked.  It seems ones have sold in the past few months for between $130 and $260.

Edited by Chris Palmer
2 people like this

Yeah, but I need the "new" value. 

If i was to order the entire pile from the reaper website what would the price of that be. 

I know I could just make a dry order, but I  figured maybe someone already did that, just cause they had to know. 

Posted (edited)

I'd just try to wash the gunk off instead of going through all of that, put them in a big 5 gallon bucket of warm water with probably about 2 cups of simple green cleaner mixed in. Then let sit for a few days to remove the gunk, remove with gloves on so you don't get the dirty water all over yourself, rinse off. After that, I'd put them all in a pillow case or a delicates net and stick them in the washing machine with a mild detergent and wash at warm or cold water (not hot as too hot of water will allow the weapons and little bits to bend too easily and stay bent) to double-wash them and make sure they are santized. 

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
4 people like this

I really don't wanna deal with that. There was plenty of other stuff that we might try cleaning. These I'll just claim as damaged to insurance. I think I'll just send them a pic of the minis, and a link to Reapers Web shop tell them I estimate the value at about 5 $ per mini, at about 200 minis that's a thousand bucks and then I  haven't  even included the price of p&p to Greenland. They're getting a fair deal. 

Ah, but what if you could wash the gunk off AND get your insurance to buy you a new set?  'Tis the hobbyist way.

5 people like this

:wacko:  There maybe comes a time when the work involved in trying to wash rancid seal's blood (and whatever lingering smell it may have) out of a load of Bones minis is not worth it.

Most of the human-sized Bones minis run about $3 each.  There are some bigger minis in the Vampire pledge, like the Storm Giant which retails for $10, which would boot the average up a bit.

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

Download this spreadhseet and a little excel magic should get you the number you need pretty quickly:

IIRC, Sophie was a Kickstarter exclusive, though, so use the higher of $25 or the eBay price.

Note: The spreadsheet is for Bones I, Bones II, and pre-KS, so you'll have to leave some empty, but the SKUs are all monotonic within their product line so it shouldn't be too bad.

Edited by etherial
7 people like this

I seem to recall Reaper was selling some of the surplus on the webstore a long while back. I want to say for $400.

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, JackMann said:

I seem to recall Reaper was selling some of the surplus on the webstore a long while back. I want to say for $400.

Yeah, I remember that as well. That was like 2 years ago now tho. 

1 person likes this

You could just get on the Reaper website and put the individual figures into your shopping cart, it will automatically total it for you. It may take an hour to look them all up but it shouldn't be that onerous. You've already spent more time than that waiting for someone else to give you an answer. 

4 people like this

Inarah's suggestion is probably the correct one if you don't mind the work. It'll probably work out for more cash at the end of the day (I want to say I've seen $500 as the value of the pledge).

Ultimately, it's supposed to be whatever you would need to spend to be "made whole." That can be an after-market price, but only if you can easily purchase the item in the same quality you had before it was damaged/destroyed. The Vampire box is not readily available. It's difficult to come by even on the aftermarket, so your resolution would likely be to buy the minis individually.

The downside is that you may need to show some documentation. It's possible you can get a statement from Reaper explaining that the miniatures are not available at the price you originally got them for, and it would cost X dollars to replace.

2 people like this

Were they still in their original packaging? ...Little plastic bags...

1 person likes this

I feel like people are overestimating Zchidzo's desire and willingness to dig through rotting seal's blood for tiny plastic men. I know would be writing them off as a loss at that point.

4 people like this

Our official suggestion was to put the items in a shopping cart.

This would allow the cart to be printed and thus document the replacement cost. It would take a person a good amount of time to complete however, it is the most accurate way.  

5 people like this