Followers 0
Baldur8762

77134: Hajad the Pirate

16 posts in this topic

nice job

1 person likes this

Still looks great. 

1 person likes this

Awesome! Love the mini and this is a take on him I have not seen 'floating around' (arr arr) anywhere else. Good job.

1 person likes this

Thanks @Tjrez @hdclearman and @Maglok !!!

I am really proud of this mini, I have it sitting next to the first one I did a few months ago and I am so pleased with my progress. It is mostly the paint scheme demonstrated by @Wren through her amazing instructions from the Learn To Paint Kit: Layer Up!  Her guidance was so helpful and has made me a better painter!

4 people like this

first off, for your second mini I think you did a fantastic job. I like how your clothes/fabrics came out , which I assume was the main part of the layering lesson along with the skin. You also hit the mark as well on the dark skin-tone. And now for a few (hopefully helpful, and please don't take as hurtful) suggestions. The wood grain on the chest you could try a blackish  brown wash (very diluted) to enhance the wood. Secondly since the mini has no hair I think you could get away with larger pupils on the eyes so he has less of a surprised look on his face. NMM I'm like you, it gives me nightmares all I can say is keep at it. Here's an effect to try split your blade in half (length-wise) and give the one half a light shade the other a dark shade. Again well done and I'm sure it also looks better in person than the photo's, I know mine do. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

13 minutes ago, kazmania7 said:

first off, for your second mini I think you did a fantastic job. I like how your clothes/fabrics came out , which I assume was the main part of the layering lesson along with the skin. You also hit the mark as well on the dark skin-tone. And now for a few (hopefully helpful, and please don't take as hurtful) suggestions. The wood grain on the chest you could try a blackish  brown wash (very diluted) to enhance the wood. Secondly since the mini has no hair I think you could get away with larger pupils on the eyes so he has less of a surprised look on his face. NMM I'm like you, it gives me nightmares all I can say is keep at it. Here's an effect to try split your blade in half (length-wise) and give the one half a light shade the other a dark shade. Again well done and I'm sure it also looks better in person than the photo's, I know mine do. 

Thanks!  Actually it is my 6th mini, but compared to my 1st, its a lot better. I did a wash on the chest, but I think the metallic paint overpowers it in the photos.  I feel the same way too, I think they always look better in person, but after I purchased a light box, my pictures come closer to capturing it as best as possible. Thank you for your suggestions! They are not hurtful at all and I want real critiques so that I can improve!

Oh and the eyes...this one was a major problem. I actually had to wash the mini in simple green after badly painting eyes one too many times. Eyes remain a struggle, despite all the advice I have received. <_<

Edited by Baldur8762
1 person likes this

I have found that a magnification visor helps immensely with getting good eyes, as does a good kolinsky sable brush. The "Bette Davis Eyes" tutorial on the forum also helped a lot, because it allows you to do the strokes in an order where you can be a bit less perfect with your strokes and clean up as you go along.

And keep practicing, no one mastered eyes after only 6 minis!!! You're doing great so far! ^_^

2 people like this

I think it's a very good job!

1 person likes this

Thanks @LittleBluberry and @Xherman1964!  I appreciate your praise, I am really proud of this particular work.

2 people like this

Very nice work, especially for a relatively new painter.

One hint on the eyes: the iris will normally intersect both the top and bottom eyelids, leaving only an approximately triangular area of off-white in the corners (and it's much closer to a light skintone than most people think). This can actually be easier to paint than a dot in the middle of white.

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Very nice work, especially for a relatively new painter.

One hint on the eyes: the iris will normally intersect both the top and bottom eyelids, leaving only an approximately triangular area of off-white in the corners (and it's much closer to a light skintone than most people think). This can actually be easier to paint than a dot in the middle of white.

Thank you!  I am really proud of this, it has become the pride of my fledgling collection!  Yes, I actually tried that originally, and messed it up over and over.  The result you see it the "best" of several attempts and to be honest I just didn't want to chance ruining more so I stuck with what I think is passable.

1 person likes this

No piece of art is ever finished, just abandoned.

::D:

It really is quite nice.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Just seen this guy on cool mini or not, gave it good rating :)

Edited by Tjrez
1 person likes this

I can't help you with NMM, but I think you did a great job on him!