7 posts in this topic
Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
By Ash Adler
I had a really good time with this kit, and I feel like I learned a lot from it, too. Win-win!
This is probably my best paint job to date, and it was pretty cool to see those highlights and shades build up layer by layer. Similar to the skeleton in the first kit, this one was quite fun to work on despite being a fairly simple model.
If the wizard was the best paint job, this one was the most fun. Sadly, something about the posture just confounded me when it came to trying to take good pictures of it. Also, those lips
I was a bit sloppy with this one, probably because I wanted to just finish with the kits and get on to doing my own minis again. Nevertheless, it was a neat challenge to try doing so many layers of colors for this one, and if nothing else, that left eye is probably the best eye I've painted (right one's a bit of a mess ).
On the whole, I'm very grateful for all of the people who suggested getting the LTP kits. Definitely a great couple of learning tools. Many thanks!
Idk if this is a KS model or one I randomly bought to fill out our need for giant monsters that are not cardboard cutouts. Anyway, he's done. He was going to maybe go in a desert diorama but I decided against (he didn't end up fitting). I might go back over his claw bits again tho, they seem a lot darker in the pic than they do IRL but theyr'e still just not quite right. Anyway, he's based on a couple of RL pics, mostly going for a shiny red carapace kind of idea. He's not in my WIP thread, so just a quick note, I undercoated him mournfang brown (a red brown GW colour) and then built up to the red with reaper's bloodstain red and later clotted red (my absolutely fave triad *ever*)
By Ash Adler
Intellect devourers were always one of my favorite D&D monsters, so I'd been planning on painting this mini eventually, but I never got around to buying it since it was kind of plain compared to most other minis. As fortune had it, though, I got it as a bonus with my last order from Reaper, so I decided to just do it. Color scheme was based on a mixture of the AD&D 2nd Edition Monstrous Manual intellect devourer, the more "realistic" 3rd edition version, and a smattering of actual crabs.
As usual, the process of working on it is on my blog: link
Unfortunately, I wasn't sure how to handle holding a mini without a base that I could stick on top of a shot glass. I held it by unpainted parts for as long as I could, but in the end, I held it by the brain to finish off the talons. Sadly, that led to some of the paint getting rubbed off (probably could've avoided at least some of that if I hadn't been squeezing it so hard, but it's easy to forget my strength at times). Aside from that, though, I'm rather pleased with how it turned out . It was a simple mini, but I enjoyed it. C&C welcome (especially any tips for how to avoid damaging finished paint on baseless minis, short of varnishing a completed area to hold it by for the final parts).
By Ash Adler
I'm glad I got talked into checking out these kits. Having someone walk me through what exactly to do really helped me to focus on what was happening with the mini without getting distracted by thinking about the next color choice or whatever.
Honestly, the skeleton was probably my favorite of the 3 minis. Sure, it doesn't have as much going on with it as the other two, but the simplicity makes it good for learning, it's the one that seems best suited to "drybrush EVERYTHING" approach to highlighting, and besides, the dopey look of it is rather cute
This one, on the other hand, was kind of a nightmare. It's not so much that there was anything particularly difficult about the model itself (it's actually posed to make things pretty easy to access all around), but it was just horrible trying to drybrush it with any real sort of cleanliness (not talking so much about how I clearly overdid it in some areas as stuff like the random brown smudges on his skin, metal sparkles on his leather parts, etc.). Well, that, and I had a hell of a time getting the brush to survive banging into the spikey bits no matter how careful/gentle I tried to be with it when doing the leather bits.
Getting more eye practice is never a bad thing, at least. I even managed to keep the black outline all around the whites this time!
This one annoyed me to start out because I just couldn't get the sword to set straight no matter how much I overbent it in the other direction while doing the whole hot/cold water thing. Once I decided to just give up and go with it, though, it was pretty smooth. Probably the best looking of the three in the end.
All in all, it was a very valuable learning experience. Hoping that the learning keep going on through the next kit as well!
Who's Online 41 Members, 5 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)
- Mad Jack
- Dilvish the Deliverer
- Chris Palmer
- The Operative 1
- Lidless Eye
- Darsc Zacal
- Knight of the Dinner Table
- Paradoxical Mouse
- Thes Hunter