Tjrez

Wet Palette?

27 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

You guys ever use a wet palette? I usually make a new one each project. It really helps your paint from drying out on the palette if your painting over a period of time. I made mine out of an old plastic container with a lid. You just line the bottom with a wet paper towel or sponge and place parcement on it. The moist parchment keeps the paint more stable. 

18596308_1688788711148945_485823739_o.jpg

18597035_1688788707815612_592200518_o.jpg

Edited by Tjrez
4 people like this

Yup, I use one very similar to yours, a sandwich container with a cheap sponge and a square of baking parchment. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

just curious :) When I did a search nothing came up except an comment three years ago from someone sayiñ that someone would mention one.. that was three yrs ago :)

Edited by Tjrez

There are probably at least half a dozen topics on wet palettes in the last 12 months.

2 people like this

I see 1081 threads that use the phrase "wet palette" and 14 that use it in the title.

^_^

You might want to take a look at your search preferences. I think the default might be last 30 days, but that can be changed.

4 people like this

lol yes Thanks Doug , it was in my search preference. I never noticed that lil pull down :) That im sure will help a ton

5 people like this

Yep, I use mine all the time and love it. Parchment paper over top of some foam in a plastic container. And a copper penny in the bottom to prevent mold buildup.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Wet palette?  The answer (since the time I learned how to make one) is yes--like, always.  My current one is made from a hinged plastic container that some fresh herbs came in, parchment paper, and some sponge/foam similar to what metal miniatures are packed with (but mine's beige-ish).  Works GREAT!

Edited by BLZeebub
1 person likes this

Ironically my answer is "No."  At least in part because I have no dedicated painting space, and I'm not sure I want to put one in the cupboard with my paints.  On the kitchen counter seems like a bad idea.  <shrug>  

1 person likes this

My only "problem" with using a wet palette, and I absolutely love it for the most part, is that some paints do better on it than others.  Just for a long sitting, I haven't had problems with any brands but I sometimes leave my paint on the palette for days and some eventually turn chunky while others don't.   They end up quite thin and watery but since I thin my paints quite a bit, it's not a problem.  Warcolour and Vallejo Game Color eventually get chunky while Vallejo air, while it separates a bit, can be mixed back in seconds and is ready to use again.  Haven't tried with reaper yet as I don't have many reaper paints right now. 

2 people like this

1 hour ago, LittleBluberry said:

Ironically my answer is "No."  At least in part because I have no dedicated painting space, and I'm not sure I want to put one in the cupboard with my paints.  On the kitchen counter seems like a bad idea.  <shrug>  

I keep mine in the fridge.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Pragma said:

This sounds like a good idea when painting a yeti. Could help you to sneak up on them. 

6 hours ago, Tjrez said:

You guys ever use a wet palette?

Love using a wet palette. I don't paint as often as I'd like and they help. When there's a break for a week or two between painting sessions, the paint is usually still perfectly usable. They make thinning and mixing colors pretty easy, too.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Pragma said:

My fridge is full of food.  :;):  

I'm not really complaining, I'm pretty good at just mixing about the amount of paint that I need and it doesn't bug me if a drop or two gets wasted.  We've got four kids at home at the moment, so space limitations dictate a lot of things, not just painting.  I guess I just felt like someone needed to be the one to put their hand up and say, "Not me!"

4 people like this

14 hours ago, Pragma said:

And a copper penny in the bottom to prevent mold buildup.

never heard of that, but i dont use  sponge. Seems my paper towel drys in bout  6hrs... I live in a desert environment tho

1 person likes this

With paper towel, there's not much need for anti-fungals, at least as long as you're painting regularly and throwing away the wet stuff regularly.

I used to use the Masterson sponge, though, and then it was important to add copper (though I used wire rather than coins).

5 people like this