Tjrez

Wet Palette?

26 posts in this topic

I had a masterson wet palette but I didn't paint for over a month and forgot about it.

 

I called the new colony I accidentally created LV-486.

Edited by Guindyloo
8 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

With paper towel, there's not much need for anti-fungals, at least as long as you're painting regularly and throwing away the wet stuff regularly.

 

I used to use the Masterson sponge, though, and then it was important to add copper (though I used wire rather than coins).

I also use a Masterson's, but I have a piece of copper foil that knarthax rescued from work. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had similar mold issues.  I final decided that it was just easiest to not worry about keeping paint.  I now just use a smaller piece of parchment paper that gets tossed nightly.  I then drain the pallet/squeeze the water out of the sponge every night as well.   Made a world of difference. 

Edited by hdclearman
3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Rahz said:

My only "problem" with using a wet palette, and I absolutely love it for the most part, is that some paints do better on it than others.  Just for a long sitting, I haven't had problems with any brands but I sometimes leave my paint on the palette for days and some eventually turn chunky while others don't.  Haven't tried with reaper yet as I don't have many reaper paints right now. 

 

Reaper paints settle and separate on my wet palette after a couple days, but they mix back together easily.

 

6 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

With paper towel, there's not much need for anti-fungals, at least as long as you're painting regularly and throwing away the wet stuff regularly.

 

I used to use the Masterson sponge, though, and then it was important to add copper (though I used wire rather than coins).

 

I too use copper wire around the outer edges of my "sponge". I'd love to find a piece of copper foil, but I have yet to locate any locally. What I have found so far is either aluminum that has been anodized to copper color or copper coated aluminum. The price of copper has increased a lot in the last several years, and it's apparently getting harder to find for hobby uses.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, RouterMike said:

I'd love to find a piece of copper foil, but I have yet to locate any locally. What I have found so far is either aluminum that has been anodized to copper color or copper coated aluminum. The price of copper has increased a lot in the last several years, and it's apparently getting harder to find for hobby uses.

 

You might consider copper tape. It's commonly made with conductive adhesive (that we don't care about for this purpose), but it's a pretty common electronics supply. I've seen it at the usual big-box home stores.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Doug Sundseth said:

 

You might consider copper tape. It's commonly made with conductive adhesive (that we don't care about for this purpose), but it's a pretty common electronics supply. I've seen it at the usual big-box home stores.

 

I have some of that stuff. Used it to shield the cavities of a couple electric guitars. I thought about using it in a wet palette a few times but wasn't sure if the adhesive would be a problem during cleaning. I occasionally spray the palette box with watered down bleach. Not sure how that would affect the glue or the copper. :unsure:

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CorallineAlgae said:

 

I have some of that stuff. Used it to shield the cavities of a couple electric guitars. I thought about using it in a wet palette a few times but wasn't sure if the adhesive would be a problem during cleaning. I occasionally spray the palette box with watered down bleach. Not sure how that would affect the glue or the copper. :unsure:

 

Fair point. I think, since you have it, you have an obligation to test the question.

 

For Science!

 

::D:

 

(My intuition, based on not much at all, is that anything that might be dissolved from the back of the tape would be dilute enough not to be a problem. But I'd first try dropping it in and spraying and immersing it and see what happens before using it for painting.)

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got a wet palette on the CO folks' recommendation. I opened the lid to dry out while I am on road trip. Sure hope it goes dry instead of moldy. Forgot the copper. 

 

In the little bit of painting I got to do with it, I liked it. Still getting used to the different thinning ratios though.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's open and you're not running a humidifier flat out, I'd be shocked if you had a problem.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also find the separated "water" from the paints convenient to use for thinning other paints. The tupperware container I use fits two sponges, and I'm too lazy to cut the parchment paper to the exact size, so the paper "buckles" and forms wells I use for the paints. Parchment paper is cheap, so I just toss it out between projects, or after I've used it for metallics (the last step in my armies).

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now