12 posts in this topic

WOOF ALERT!!!!

R.I.B.B.I.T. Navy spotted!!!

Very cool stuff!!!

2 people like this

100 guns? Methinks someone is overcompensating for something...::P:

Great little Navy, Froggy!

2 people like this

Froggy, very nice. So six ships total in the Navy?

Any thoughts on flags or banners?

1 person likes this

Evidence is that the colors are white and red. 

1 person likes this

I know a way to make pennants, streamers, or flags out of colored masking tape and coffee stirrers...

1 person likes this

Nice job on these!  The only way I found to keep the rigging taught is to make it live.  Small holes drilled in the hull and in the masthead allow you to use knots and keep constant tension on all the lines.

Waxing the lines by running them across a beeswax candle also help them keep their shape.  It's a lot of work to make these look good and you've done a great job!

1 person likes this

16 hours ago, TGP said:

I know a way to make pennants, streamers, or flags out of colored masking tape and coffee stirrers...

Ooh.  Do tell?

"The Mouse Afloat?"

Very nice work. I would not have spotted those as cardstock. They look much more detailed.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

On 5/22/2017 at 3:15 PM, TGP said:

8 hours ago, Froggy the Great said:

Ooh.  Do tell?

Raw materials:

IMG_971.jpg.a30b553c4cc4251ce95b20d92986b7cf.jpg

A) Coffee Stirrers

...with Sir Forscale and a handy sheet of Quadrile graph paper to give the measure of things. The Orange one is an unused drinking straw from a typical fast food joint, but the rest are intended to stir coffee, except for that one cocktail skewer. Stirrers exist out in the wild in numerous sizes. 

s-l1000.jpg

B) Painters Masking Tape

I had no idea this was available in red. I knew about the blue and green. 

Method:

Take an unused cocktail skewer (serves as an armature) and wrap it with a coffee stirrer. Ideally a coffee stirrer can be found that matches the size perfectly and fits snugly. But if not, take two of the smaller stirrers and slit them length-wise. Snap one over the skewer. (A gap will exist where the slit is.) Snap the second over both the skewer and the first stirrer covering that gap. Take a piece of tape slightly more than twice as long as the eventual length of the streamers. Put the wrapped skewer right at the center then fold the tape around it tightly until the tape touches sticky side to sticky side. Then stick & smooth down the tape to itself. 

Should end up a big rectangle of tape wrapped around a hollow tube (which will slide right off or back onto the skewer).

Final steps are: 1) apply paint, 2) Nip into little sections a few mm tall, 3) trim to a point with scissors if pointed pennants are desired. 

Hoped for end result:

Removable / swappable streamers that could be used to indicate nationality and in quantity they could be used as damage indicators to show the status of the ships during a battle. 

Edited by TGP
&
3 people like this

Another way to keep them tight is to use elastic. Games of War now ships black elastic string with their ship models to use for rigging.

2 people like this