NecroMancer

Weathering Bones

8 posts in this topic

Ok guys I am back with need or more help or ideas.

I am working on my DDS2 and I am wanting to add some statues (shout out to @Pochi).  Anyways I want mine to have a real weathered look like this one:

tumblr_npqwauQLyW1un0kico1_500.jpg.6eb3f33e45e376f052dab366280ebf2b.jpg

Any ideas on how to create the eroded look?  I thought about maybe cutting off some pieces to give the appearance of it being broken but am afraid it will just look cut instead of broken or eroded.

If it helps I will probably use the Caryatid Columns (if they fit how I want them to)

77378_w_1.jpg.55f8c80bada5ac2ed251e6c64215461c.jpg

1 person likes this

I think I'd use a sanding stick to get that look on PVC, though if you intend to remove any significant volume, it might be best to cut most of the material away before sanding.

I don't know how much actual texture you're going to see from sanding at that scale. You might benefit more from cutting chunks out and leaving the remaining surfaces smooth so that you have a better surface to paint the texture on. Either way, I'd do some tests on a different Bones figure first.

2 people like this

It might be easier (and more fun) to literally abuse them to get that weathered texture. You know, drive over them a few times, pound them with rocks, etc. If you combine general abuse with Guindy's suggestion of cutting off noses with a knife it might come close to what you want.

Alternatively, you could cut off bits and then add on putty and texture the putty. This would be easier to control the results, but less opportunity for venting aggression. :;):

3 people like this

1 hour ago, LittleBluberry said:

It might be easier (and more fun) to literally abuse them to get that weathered texture. You know, drive over them a few times, pound them with rocks, etc. If you combine general abuse with Guindy's suggestion of cutting off noses with a knife it might come close to what you want.

Alternatively, you could cut off bits and then add on putty and texture the putty. This would be easier to control the results, but less opportunity for venting aggression. :;):

So violent!!! ::o:

Actually, that sounds so fun!!! :devil:  I agree that you can cut them and sand them and abuse them: FOR SCIENCE!  Make sure you let us know how they turn out.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, LittleBluberry said:

Yeah after reading Guindy's suggestion I thought about cutting them and using a mixture of sand and PVA glue to give the texture.

I like the idea of beating it up though, not only fun but might prevent a "manufactured" look and make it look more natural.

I might have to buy two sets and tryout both!

3 people like this

Sand and glue is good for larger texture, where material has landed and crumbled at the base. If you want to add texture to the actual parts of the statue where they have broken or fallen away, get a pot of liquid greenstuff and stipple it to the location with a very stiff, short brush.

1 person likes this

Could cut pieces off and then mix a bit of dust or extremely fine sand/grit with the basecoat of paint to get some texture.  I like the idea of abusing them with rocks for texture too.