zedington

Using Golden Heavy Body

2 posts in this topic

I've recently inherited several hundreds of dollars worth of Golden Heavy Body Artist Acrylics that I'd like to add to my mini paint collection. Obviously these are a lot thicker than Vallejo or Reaper, so I'm curious to see if anyone had suggestions on how I might thin them to a more fluid consistency, without diluting the pigments too much. The cadmiums look amazing, and I hate to see all these tubes of paint go to waste.

I assume a good starting point would be Golden's own brand of Fluid Matte Medium, but thought I'd ask here in case anyone's had experience with this. Thanks in advance!

Congratulations.  Golden is my favorite brand of acrylics.  Their heavy body acrylics are excellent quality, really beautiful paints.  

I use Golden's matte fluid acrylics for miniatures, occasionally supplemented with heavy body acrylics for colors outside that range, such as Pyrrol Orange.  When I use a thicker acrylic paint on miniatures I thin it with water and matte medium, generally.  So your instincts are good.

Cadmiums are gorgeous, and far more opaque than most pigments.  They were what I used for reds, oranges, and yellows when I was a kid.  You definitely won't have the notorious "coverage" problems most other reds and yellows have.

You should, however, use reasonable precautions with cadmiums as they are a family of hazardous heavy metal pigments.  You shouldn't eat or drink while painting.  Light protective gloves are a good idea.

2 people like this