vegascat

02766: Arrius the Black, Skeletal Champion (Vegascat rolls the bones again)

I finished my current semester of school a few weeks ago and wanted to ease back into painting with something simple and something from my shelf of shame.  I'm not real pleased with the highlights on the cloak, overall I'm happy with him as he ended up in a nice muted tone.  Feedback welcome and wanted.

DSC_0030.JPG

DSC_0031.JPG

• Like 20

Really nice work.  I like the color of the bone. 

• Like 2

Thank you everyone, for the likes and the comments!  

@Taskmaster99, The shading is actually green, not black, not that anyone can really tell in the picture.  I've become a fan of using complimentary colors for shading as it makes the colors more interesting.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Adrift
      More work on getting my groove back. I've never really attempted an aged bronze, and I really enjoyed the gemstones.

• By Guindyloo
      Hello fine people (and other assorted things) of the Reaper forum!

Continuing in our project of teaming up to show you two different methods to go about painting the same miniature, Buglips and I decided that we would do a WIP thread for Con Crud, Convention Zombie from the 2017 Reapercon swag bag! He's a great little figure, sculpted by Gene Van Horne, that we thought we could have some fun with.

This will be our second shared WIP thread in this series of ours, in case you missed it, check out our first one where we painted Thanis the Bonecaller:

As with that one, I will be covering my usual method of painting for display, and Buglips will be approaching the figure with his own usual "fast-but-decent method." As with the last one, Buglips' method will be much faster than mine will be and you'll get to see where our two styles diverge. We will be sharing our own issues, thoughts and methods with you in the hopes that someone will find such things useful.

So on to the mini!
      Here's my Con Crud, fresh out of his blister:

I prepped him in my usual way, with some diamond files to grind off the mold lines and bit of flash that you can see on his outstretched foot and hand. He has some notable mold lines through his hair and back and down the left (his left) side of his face. I'll show you throughout the process how I'll tackle those.

So here he is after I primed him with Reaper's Brush-On Primer in white, thinned down with some water. As usual, I only did one thin coat so as not to obscure the details on him and I took a couple of additional shots from different angles so you can see some of the mold lines that I'll need to work on a little more down the road.

• By buglips*the*goblin
      Want more WIP threads like this one?  Check these out!
      01614 Con Crud 

Hello again, friends and neighbours! 

Several years ago, after the Bones I kickstarter, I made a thread to help people who had just signed up for a ridiculous amount of Bones minis get used to painting and encourage them to just jump right on in!  This thread was even more successful than I thought and, much to my astonishment, brings new people to our hobby even today.  I thought it was time for a fresh update that might be just as helpful, and maybe give us something to point new people to when they first decide to pick up a brush and become One of Us.

Often when new people come by and have no idea where to start, the first general question is: what are your aims and requirements?  This basically breaks down to: do you need pieces done for a game, or do you want to paint just to paint?  The idea behind this WIP is to give us something to show people the difference in practice.  So with the able assistance of Guindyloo, I will be painting Thanis in my usual fast-but-decent method and she will show us how nice things can be when you spend some time on them. 

There are, of course, many ways to paint a mini so this thread is just an example of our present working methods and by no means serve as the only way to do it, or the final word on the matter.  Those of you just joining our hobby may have your own ideas about how to do things, and by all means you should use your own best judgment!  All we do here is just give you some things to think about.

So on to the mini you came in here to see, and I hope this thread proves useful! 

Here's my Thanis, fresh from her blister pack:

• By TheOldGuard
      Greetings!

I kind of finished this diorama a few years ago but have recently finished it for good with some newly aquired basing materials.

I originally bought Isabella Von Carstien just to paint up as a single miniature but as her pose seemed to infer a commanding stance, I decided to expand things into a diorama by giving her an elite skeleton guard to command using a pack of GW skeletons that I had.

For the actual terrain, I was inspired by a favourite old Ray Harryhausen film of mine, "The 7th Voyage Of Sinbad" where Sinbad swordfights a skeleton on a spiral staircase (which, famously, doesn't go anywhere!). It's a great scene & I wanted to create a spooky ruined spiral stone staircase for Isabella to lead from.
      The stonework is made from air-drying clay. I made the staircase by cutting out rolled flat wet clay "cookies" using the plastic cap off a deoderant can to create circles. I then scored lines into each wet "cookie" to create quarters & when dry, I snapped the clay into 4 quarters & tidied them up. I then glued each quarter on top of the last one leaving a eighth of the previous step showing, I repeated this until I got to the required height - I'm very pleased with how this worked out! . I then filled in all gaps between the steps to make them look like they were carved out of the stone & added some sand for texture here & there, I also pencilled in then scored some fish-scale tiles into the base.

C & C are always welcome - Thanks for looking!

• Who's Online   15 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)