Malekus, The Burning Truth

Baldur8762

Good evening all,

I started a WIP yesterday for a new project, but felt like I needed to finish this particular project before I continued with the new one. I want to be very clear about this mini; I hate it.  I really hate this mini.  It was a pain to work on, has caused me grief and I just wanted to get it done so that I could play this week. I am not that pleased with how it has turned out, but I am starting to develop the "good enough" mentality.  This mini has TERRIBLE mold lines and weak details.  The little blue accoutrements were that obscure on the model before it was even primed. I am certain that in the hands of a greater capable artist, it would have been much nicer.  The only reason I am even posting it here is because I spent so much time on it, I need some sort of affirmation of the work.  I also, like a fool, didn't seal this mini before I did the base.  I have a bad feeling that when I do apply sealant, something will go wrong, like it has for every step of this mini.   Please let me know your honest opinions and any suggestions

Malekus 1.jpg

Malekus 2.jpg

Malekus 3.jpg

Malekus 4.jpg

• Like 18

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually think you did a pretty good job here.  Malekus is pretty infamous for some of his issues (i.e. mold lines, gaps, etc.) and the fact that the gaps are not noticeable here is a pretty good sign (you obviously took care of some of them.  Your whites are pretty good too (I hate painting white!) so you should be proud of that too.

As a final note, while I too am still a beginner, I have found that certain models just run into that "nothing's going right" mode.  Personally, I don't think that its because we're beginners, I know even long time painters who run into it occasionally.  Try to focus on the parts you like and then just move on to the next model.  All in all though, I think you did a great job.  I love the book, and the freehand on the menofix is really good (I've tried and tried to freehand menofixes and just can't do them justice).  Now take him out and burn some heretics!

• Like 2

It is a shame about the mold lines, but some are on details that would be a pain to remove. The white looks like it went on a little thick...I have that problem with Menoth's color scheme as well. I really like the cast iron/brassy look of the boiler and staff end. 

Best of all it is done and ready to game with. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, YellowSign said:

I really like this, though the mould lines are bugging me. The darker purple contrasts nicely with the bone white. It's a good job you should be proud

Thank you! Trust me, the mold lines are driving me crazy!  I tried really hard to take care of what I could but I know that I'd wind up destroying more of the mini by going crazy on the mold lines. 

13 hours ago, Gargs said:

I actually think you did a pretty good job here.  Malekus is pretty infamous for some of his issues (i.e. mold lines, gaps, etc.) and the fact that the gaps are not noticeable here is a pretty good sign (you obviously took care of some of them.  Your whites are pretty good too (I hate painting white!) so you should be proud of that too.

As a final note, while I too am still a beginner, I have found that certain models just run into that "nothing's going right" mode.  Personally, I don't think that its because we're beginners, I know even long time painters who run into it occasionally.  Try to focus on the parts you like and then just move on to the next model.  All in all though, I think you did a great job.  I love the book, and the freehand on the menofix is really good (I've tried and tried to freehand menofixes and just can't do them justice).  Now take him out and burn some heretics!

Thanks! I did, it took a lot of care to try and deal with all those gaps!  I am glad to know I am not the only one who has this issue with this particular mini.  As far as the menofix, I just took my time and REALLY focused my shaky hands as best I could!  I had planned on going today to play, but had to skip it to do some family things.

12 hours ago, KruleBear said:

It is a shame about the mold lines, but some are on details that would be a pain to remove. The white looks like it went on a little thick...I have that problem with Menoth's color scheme as well. I really like the cast iron/brassy look of the boiler and staff end. 

Best of all it is done and ready to game with. 

Believe it or not, the white didn't go on that thick! This particular mini had some really shallow features that looked like the should have been more pronounced. Especially on the main armor plate. There is a mold line that literally runs through the miniscule menofix on the top of his shoulder pads that I tried to remove, but actually cut out part of the feature.  I have not painted too many minis yet, but this one had the worst mold lines out of any I have seen yet. 

• Like 2

I agree with all the above.  It looks better that you give yourself credit for.  The fact that you took the time to freehand in the book says something.

I can't tell from the picture, but if the model was plastic, I can understand your grief regarding mold lines.  I've pretty much given up on cleaning all the mold lines on plastic.  The majority of my plastic models are for practice, so I can deal with that.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, hdclearman said:

I agree with all the above.  It looks better that you give yourself credit for.  The fact that you took the time to freehand in the book says something.

I can't tell from the picture, but if the model was plastic, I can understand your grief regarding mold lines.  I've pretty much given up on cleaning all the mold lines on plastic.  The majority of my plastic models are for practice, so I can deal with that.

Thank you, I really do appreciate the praise!  It is indeed a hard plastic model. I removed some lines, but I also know that I am the kind of person who will obsess over the "perfection" of my work and that would include the removal of lines.  I also know that I'd inevitably screw it up and leave a giant scar on the face of the mini.  Ill get there one day, but since this mini is mainly for table play, I am less concerned. 

• Like 3

I've never seen this figure before, either 'naked' or painted. I'm not at all a fan of the sculpt, but I agree with the others above when I say that you did a very good job with it. Definitely nothing to beat yourself up about.

Also, something else to think about; did you learn anything while working on this piece? If so, than you can count it as a success for that reason alone.::):