Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Coldfire

2715: Sir Justin, Templar Adventurer

I feel I've been painting just long enough now to see through the simplicity in the colors into just how much work and artistic skill goes into a mini like this.

I can see people looking at this and just thinking "Meh, just a green shirt and brown backpack?", without noticing all of the subtle color changes, not just one or two tones, but tons of shades!

Spectacular work, I am in awe.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Dr.Bedlam
      At the school where I work, the librarian has been most accommodating towards my kids' fantasy gaming and interest in fantasy topics. Furthermore, said librarian is a bit of a closet fantasy fan herself, actually having sat in on a few gaming sessions with the kids, and provided resources, and so on. I wanted to do something nice for her for the end of the school year, and I find that a neat little surprise does wonders for anyone's attitude of a Monday morning... particularly a Monday in which one is looking at the horrible grind of that Last Week Of School With Kids. So I whipped up a little thank you surprise.

One begins with a stock Mouseling, painted, a little cakestand display I got when the craft joint clearanced 'em after Christmas, a wooden disc for a base, some simple basing materials, and a pewter charm. She Who Dances With Mouselings is into beading, and happened to see this little sign among the beads and charms at another hobby crafting place, and promptly said, "You're buying this. Or rather, I'm buying this. You can do something with this." The charm is as shown; all I did was paint it. You see before you perhaps twenty minutes' work, not counting the time it took to paint the mouseling.

So She Who Dances With Mouselings looks upon it and says, "I WANT ONE OF THOSE! We're going back to the craft store and get ALL those little signs! There was one about kissing frogs; that'd go with the Princess mouseling, right? And what other ones were there...?"

So I guess I'll have to start work on another one next weekend...
    • By Joe the Revelator
      Howdy Reaper! I haven't posted in a very, very long time, so I figured I'd get back in touch with my mini painting roots. Last night I finished my kitbash fighter. I wanted to try making a weaponmaster (great weapons) with swappable weapon parts. With magnets. The answer is always magnets.

With the exception of a few oversize weapons from old warhammer variants I had rattling around in my scraps bin, the Reaper minis I savaged for this project were: 77382: Vernone, Ivy Crown Knight, 03447: Weapons Pack 7, and 60113: Technic League Captain.

And yes. I made fun screaming sounds under my breath when I detached their heads with my wire cutters.

Magnets were socketed with super-glue.

Plumber's putty for the base, with flat metal inserts for the magnets. Although, on reflection, Greenstuff would have been less crumbly.

My base coat was yellow (not show) so it would have a slight sepia bleed-through. I washed with a black mix, mostly water, so he would look grungy. Very grungy.

And lastly, the weapons (which affix to the raw metal shards at the base) are differentiated by having brass parts. All the other weapons (static parts) are from the assortment pack.

It's all about the accessories, right?

Anyway, thank you Reaper for being awesome and having so many great models, although I'm slightly sad I cut the head off a Bobby Jackson sculpture (that's why I bought 2!) And thanks to the painters here who showed me everything I know. I'm still growing.

Warm Regards,

Joe
    • By sirgourls
      I had some time to paint over my spring break. Said time may have come at the expense of lesson planning, but whatever.  It's been awhile, unfortunately. There's plenty I'm not thrilled with here, but I wouldn't die of embarrassment from him hitting the tabletop, so that's something. I haven't had time to practice consistently, so I'm think he looks decent considering. 

• By DankDungeonMaster
      Finished my first metal mini. Took some time to get the chain mail the way I wanted.

• By Benwlundy
      I finished my first miniature...sort of...maybe...The Templar Sergeant...In my effort to leave him looking dirty, his tunic just turned out looking like a crappy dry brushing...I need to let him be for a few days and just look at him and see if it grows on me, or if I'll go ahead and correct the tunic...struggled with his buckles, too...very small...Overall I'm really happy with my first miniature effort...and I'd definitely say I've got the bug...really enjoying the process! I really did nothing with the base, as this is not his final resting place...
      Thanks   Ben

• Who's Online   17 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)