EvilJames

Gencon 50 looms ever closer

32 posts in this topic

Gencon event registration opens tomorrow. Who's going this year? What events are you planning?

1 person likes this

I'm going.  My brother and I are running 4 fantasy miniatures games with vsrious rules (Dragon Rampant, Ringbearer, and Chaos Wars, I think). I've got speed painting on my wish list, but, other than that, I'm taking it easy. ::):

2 people like this

I'm going!  It'll be my first time at GenCon but I have family in Indy so my brother and I are staying with them.

Some friends are doing an escape room and one of the charity D&D sessions, so I'll probably tag along on those.  Then I'll do a couple miniature painting classes and leave some time open for pick-up games of Magic or whatever else strikes my fancy, and visiting the artist area to get some of my cards signed for my cube.

1 person likes this

I'll be there, running 2nd Ed Talisman, with painted minis (surprise!). Can't miss the 50th year during my 50th year.

6 people like this

As it's a local event to me, I'll be going.  Most likely, the events I have on my wishlist will be filled within the first five minutes after registration opens tomorrow, but that's okay.  Generic tickets were invented for a reason.

It will be a relatively light year, spending-wise.  I've got pretty much all the rpg stuff I need, and board games are a bit limited until my sons get old enough (seven is okay for Ticket to Ride and Blockus, but not so good for Betrayal at House on the Hill . . . ).  Miniatures are well-stocked, so while I may pick up a couple that catch my eye, my biggest expense will likely be food or parking.

4 people like this

Everyone get into the events they wanted? Got most of mine except for the main seating for the "They Might be Giants" concert. General seating it is then. Doing Speed paints for Impact and Darksword on Saturday with Mrs Evil. Doing the Pathfinder special on Friday and then the first Starfinder adventure immediately after with one more Pathfinder game on Thursday morning. Also doing a brew bus tour and the Orc stomp.

Got most of mine.  Reaper speed paint, They Might be Giants concert, and Dr Who rpg are the main highlights.   

I missed out on the escape room, but I'm not super worried about it. Going to do a charity Pathfinder event, Hickman's Killer Breakfast and some playtesting, along with the aforementioned artist stuff. 

I was surprised that I was only closed out of 1 of the speed paints I'd wish listed...I may have to throw one or two back just to be fair.  I had a tolerably early number, though, under 3000.  That still wasn't enough to get me into an NMM painting workshop.

#1 Son was up in the 7000s somewhere, and missed all of the small-table-sized RPGs he wanted to be in.  I'm afraid the family taste runs to the exotic (at least in GenCon terms: Castle Falkenstein and Traveller are both rare birds).  

Hey Rob, are the events you're running full?  I might check those out seeing as we're both from Murrlyn.

I also missed out on the NMM workshops, but I may drop by with some generics and see if there's a spot that opened up.

Posted (edited)

My brother is monitoring all of that right now, but our Wednesday free day event hasn't been reposted (and therefore has no sign ups); our Chaos Wars and Ringbearer game are currently full.

Edited by Rob Dean

I was hoping to go for a couple days, but the PFS schedule is jacked up on Sunday because there are no later games that are open.   If I could take more vacation I'd see about Friday.. but I'm not sure $55 for a badge to go shopping and play one round of PFS is worth it.. much less $90 for a full pass...

1 person likes this

My brother in law missed out on most of the small games he wanted into. Those tend to go quick. What he was sad to miss the most though was the homebrew Calvin and Hobbes game someone was running. They were only running it once though.

I'm pretty shocked by how many things are already sold out. I have no idea what RPGs I want to do, so we haven't signed up for those yet. Almost all the painting stuff is already sold out... maybe I'll do the green stuff workshop, or one of the mold making/using workshops.  We just signed up first thing for a couple of big panels that we didn't want to miss, Critical Role and Dice Tower.

1 person likes this

Most of the minis events that I wanted to do only had one time slot, and are sold out.  My second-string events are still open, though I haven't finished filling my cart yet.  I am bummed that I did not get into the Orc Stomp 5k though.