EvilJames

Gencon 50 looms ever closer

43 posts in this topic

On 5/31/2017 at 9:00 PM, warlordgarou said:

Most of the minis events that I wanted to do only had one time slot, and are sold out.  My second-string events are still open, though I haven't finished filling my cart yet.  I am bummed that I did not get into the Orc Stomp 5k though.

You can try to get in with generics or do what I did last year and just run anyway. Accidentally resubmitting my events after I had them cost me a few last year including Orc stomp. They don't really care if you run along with the stomp they just wont give you a number or a t-shirt (unless you manage to get in with generics)

Is anyone else going to enter the miniature painting competition?

Most of my daytime schedule blew up due to a personal internet snafu, but I will be there, in Indy.

Right now, I am debating whether to offer some of my spare time to a miniatures company, or just wander around looking for random events. (Leaning towards the former)

...although if anybody can sneak me into Paizo's Friday night special for Pathfinder society, I'd appreciate it. :upside:

I wasn't planning to enter any competitions. The word competition itself kind of scared me away. I'm a competitive person in general, but I'm not sure I feel skilled enough for a painting competition. How intense are they?

On 6/9/2017 at 9:13 PM, Pineapple said:

I wasn't planning to enter any competitions. The word competition itself kind of scared me away. I'm a competitive person in general, but I'm not sure I feel skilled enough for a painting competition. How intense are they?

Depends, are you talking the speed paints? They aren't too bad over all, only reaper does theirs as an actual tournament with rounds. All the other you are only competing with those at your table. I've never placed so far but my wife placed and advanced to the next round at the Reaper one many years ago. I mostly do it because it's a quick fun paint and it's 2 dollars to get a mini that generally would cost more than 2 dollars. I've posted my speed paints from previous years before if you want to see what kind of competition I am.

However, if you mean the Gencon Miniature painting contest, then that's a significant increase in competition stiffness.

1 person likes this

Cool, good to know, thanks!  It'll be my first time at GenCon, so it's safe to assume I don't know what I mean.

2 people like this

Ah, ok, then I totally recommend a speed paint if you can get into one or at the very least got to the paint n take, that runs all day and is free (sometimes a bit of a line though). Also just so you know, attendance for this one is unprecedented (It could theoretically sell out of tickets this year.) So bear that in mind. Most years aren't quite this crowded, it's just had a bit of an uptick recently, and this being the 50th and all.

1 person likes this

So apparently Gencon has officially sold out of 4 day badges. There  are still single day passes left but they are likely to sell out as well. Looks like no one will be getting tickets at the door this year.

1 person likes this

So there is now just one week before my Gencon vacation starts. Gonna be hard to focus this week. Got lots to do to get the house in order before we go and still have projects to get done for Gencon. One project I mentioned in another thread is shelved until next year. Just could manage my time well enough to do it and everything else.

1 person likes this

My troops are all mustered and loaded to embark on the trip; my packing list will be checked again today. ::D:

IMG_1914.thumb.JPG.9bcc6c41abb83496771657fb2b046bba.JPG

1 person likes this

The only packing I have done so far is getting everything lined up for the auction and consignment store.  Tomorrow and Tuesday, I need to finish a couple miniatures (well, get them to the point where they are assembled and primed, at the very least), finish boxing up the auction items, and read rules to the games I am actually playing.

I have a couple things that need to be finished painting and then clothes to wash and pack, then I should be ready. No new costumes or anything of that nature this year, so nothing that will keep me up late the night before leaving like usually happens.

It's day (-1) of Gencon. ::D: With a day zero game to run tomorrow, it's off to Indianapolis today!  I'll be in Reaper Speed paint rounds 4 and 5 on Saturday at 1400 and 1500. I wonder what the subject(s) will be...

2 people like this

9 minutes ago, Rob Dean said:

It's day (-1) of Gencon. ::D: With a day zero game to run tomorrow, it's off to Indianapolis today!  I'll be in Reaper Speed paint rounds 4 and 5 on Saturday at 1400 and 1500. I wonder what the subject(s) will be...

Have a great time, Rob!    Be sure posts some pics on your blog!

1 person likes this

Finishing up packing so this is the last I'll be on till  I return on Sunday. See everyone there.

Packed up and ready to go.  First time doing the entire con so looking forward to 4 days of not working and having fun!

1 person likes this