Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Rob Dean

Veteran miniatures

Recommended Posts

Ah yes, Bakshi's Latino Aragorn. :wub:  

 

For 1974 figures those first two look great!  I'm thinking it must be your paint job because I've seen raw Minifigs.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Pingo said:

For 1974 figures those first two look great!  I'm thinking it must be your paint job because I've seen raw Minifigs.

 

 

Thanks!  I've been working on techniques to make the most of what is there on the old Minifigs. My near term intention, since a bunch of them have fallen back into my hands, is to build Dragon Rampant war bands with them. The next challenge (as in, I primed them recently) is going to be a group of the hobbits from that range, which are both tiny and primitive.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Rob Dean said:

 

 

Thanks!  I've been working on techniques to make the most of what is there on the old Minifigs. My near term intention, since a bunch of them have fallen back into my hands, is to build Dragon Rampant war bands with them. The next challenge (as in, I primed them recently) is going to be a group of the hobbits from that range, which are both tiny and primitive.

 

Yep.  I possess a couple of identical old Minifig hobbits carrying polearms, still connected at the base.  They are tiny and their faces seem to be little more than gouged out eye sockets and smiles.  Definitely a challenge!  Good luck.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pingo said:

Ah yes, Bakshi's Latino Aragorn. :wub:  

 

For 1974 figures those first two look great!  I'm thinking it must be your paint job because I've seen raw Minifigs.

I never really thought of him as Latino (until now) but rather craggy and sun-baked. 

 

Beautiful job on the figures Rob!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MiniFigs have a certain charm all their own. The Valley of the Four Winds & their Eighteenth Century are the ones with which I am most familiar, but these are also fine examples of their style.

AND you have made THE MOST of that style & brought out all their charm WONDERFULLY. The little Folk are all BEAUTIFULLY  painted & based creations. I am especially fond of the Hobbits...I'm normally not a big Hobbit Fan. VERY WELL DONE!

Edited by malefactus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These are awesome.  I really love the old school figures.  My collection only goes back to the mid to late eighties Grenadier and Ral Partha. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah yes. Rider's Hobby's in Ann Arbor MI. It was my store, and were most of my hard earned allowance was spent growing up. Though the Meijer's across the street took some of it as well, back in the day when they sold D&D (1st ed, books and modules). 

 

(Though I wasn't in the habit of going to Rider's in 1975... I was only 2. :lol:)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's very strange to think of these minis as older than me...and by 13 years! You did a wonderful job! I actually really like the mask, and the shield looks like something a goblin would totally fancy xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Pingo said:

 

Yep.  I possess a couple of identical old Minifig hobbits carrying polearms, still connected at the base.  They are tiny and their faces seem to be little more than gouged out eye sockets and smiles.  Definitely a challenge!  Good luck.

 

I recall helping with the ID at one point. I think you have the D&D Hobbits. I have a few, so here's a comparison with two of them on the left, and the strip of three hobbits from the ME range.

IMG_1822.thumb.JPG.ba4e6dab26c729a6de904e67395d7bbd.JPG

 

The sculpting is similarly primitive, but the D&D hobbits are better fed. ::D:

 

15 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

Ah yes. Rider's Hobby's in Ann Arbor MI. It was my store, and were most of my hard earned allowance was spent growing up. Though the Meijer's across the street took some of it as well, back in the day when they sold D&D (1st ed, books and modules). 

 

(Though I wasn't in the habit of going to Rider's in 1975... I was only 2. :lol:)

 

I was an undergrad at Michigan from 1978 to 1982, so the Rider's I usually visited was the original store on Liberty just past Main; I only visited the outlying stores later. In 1975, Rider's meant convincing my father to make a special trip to Ann Arbor, since we lived in Dearborn Heights, 25 miles away.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, malefactus said:

MiniFigs have a certain charm all their own. The Valley of the Four Winds & their Eighteenth Century are the ones with which I am most familiar, but these are also fine examples of their style.

 

Thanks! The VFW figures weren't much seen in my local hobby shops, and I didn't have any of them back in the day. I'm much attracted to them now; the whole Bosch thing is pretty unusual, even today.

 

18 hours ago, hdclearman said:

These are awesome.  I really love the old school figures.  My collection only goes back to the mid to late eighties Grenadier and Ral Partha. 

 

...which is about where mine ends, at least temporarily. ::P:

 

1 hour ago, Glamberry said:

It's very strange to think of these minis as older than me...and by 13 years! You did a wonderful job! I actually really like the mask, and the shield looks like something a goblin would totally fancy xD

 

I'm glad that young people are still coming into the hobby. ::D:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Rob Dean said:

 

I recall helping with the ID at one point. I think you have the D&D Hobbits. I have a few, so here's a comparison with two of them on the left, and the strip of three hobbits from the ME range.

IMG_1822.thumb.JPG.ba4e6dab26c729a6de904e67395d7bbd.JPG

 

The sculpting is similarly primitive, but the D&D hobbits are better fed. ::D:

 

I have two of the one on the far left, standing on one long strip of lead.  I am half tempted to paint them up as Brian from "Knights of the Dinner Table".

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The round face & more robust build is the way Mini Figs evolved. It's their own signature style & the style I came to love.

I still have a couple of the Valley of the Four Winds minis kicking around in The Vault...now I'll have to find them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×