So I just dropped nearly 100$ at my FLGS on reaper master series paints, only to discover upon closer inspection that they are actually pigments. I'm a beginner/moderate painter, so I didn't quite realize there was a difference. After conversing with one of my more hardcore painter friends, i'm even less sure than I was before. He tells me that the pigments are different from the paints and that pigments are usually only used to tint paints, but then i went to the website and saw that everything there comes in the same kind of bottles with all the same names. It seems strange to me that reaper would sell only pigments and not paints, and now I'm very very confused. So let me just pose this simple question:

I purchased this bottle, and many others like it:

18816902_10212072579546268_1563614515_n.18816615_10212072808311987_822259545_n.j

Can I paint my Bones minis with this and some water?

and as a follow up question:

Did i just bone myself out of 100 bucks?

Edited by rubberbandman
  • Like 1

Not only can you paint your Bones with those paints, they are formulated for just that!  ::D:

I'm not sure what your friend told you, but to my knowledge all paints contain pigments.

• Like 1

Thats what I thought. From what my friend told me there are paints (which contain pigments) and then there are pigments, which are the chemicals which give paint their color. I was under the impression that you could buy paints and pigments separately: paints being used for painting, and pigments being used for... I'm not sure, tinting existing paints slightly? Mixing with some kind of medium to make paint? I was confused because all the bottles I see online have slightly different labels, but this is the only one I've seen touting the "high density pigment" label.

But as long as I can paint with these bottles, then I'm fine.

• Like 1

The answer is yes. All Paints, for hobby purposes,  are made from pigments. Everything Reaper produces is paint which is pigment suspended in a binder just like every other hobby paint manufacturer. In fact all hobby paint suppliers use liquid pigments to make their paint, this does exclude some fine arts paints which I'm sure Pingo will be able to explain. You are looking at the label for the HD paint line which includes more pigment, to obtain one coat coverage, than the regular Reaper masrpter series.

• Like 2

To perhaps clear things up:

Reaper HD paint has a higher pigment density than their regular paint lines. (More pigment per quantity of binder.) So this is noted on the label.

You can buy pigments separately from binder (all paint manufacturers do this), and it can be used to make paint or directly for various applications including weathering.

To my knowledge, Reaper does not sell such pigments except in paint (or possibly inks; I don't know whether Reaper inks are pigment-based or dye-based).

Pigments are fine dry powders.  While I know of one or two places that sell pigments in water for specialty purposes, pigments are almost always sold dry.

The Reaper label is identifying that it has a high density of pigment in its paints.  Reaper does not sell pigments.  It sells paints.

Pigments are used to make paints.  I have made my own paints for decades using pigments.  It requires some serious specialty equipment, but some of us enjoy it.

Pigments are also used to make crayons and chalk pastels and for special effects on certain types of model.  

Dry pigments are a serious lung dust hazard and should be handled only with appropriate safety equipment.

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, rubberbandman said:

Thats what I thought. From what my friend told me there are paints (which contain pigments) and then there are pigments, which are the chemicals which give paint their color. I was under the impression that you could buy paints and pigments separately: paints being used for painting, and pigments being used for... I'm not sure, tinting existing paints slightly? Mixing with some kind of medium to make paint? I was confused because all the bottles I see online have slightly different labels, but this is the only one I've seen touting the "high density pigment" label.

But as long as I can paint with these bottles, then I'm fine.

Reaper doesn't sell pigments separately. What you are holding there is paint. It says "High Density Pigment" as a selling point to tell you what the paint contains.

Kind of like when a bottle of Coke says something like "Now with Natural sugar!"

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now