14 hours ago, Sergeant_Crunch said:

I bought a laser cutter.

That sounds inexpensive.

5 people like this

:lol:

4 people like this

23 minutes ago, Thes Hunter said:

That sounds inexpensive.

You know what, I was really pissed off about some stuff yesterday and totally misread that. And yeah, it was so inexpensive I started a business to help pay it off.  That last part hasn't worked out yet.

9 people like this

Posted (edited)

19 hours ago, TGP said:

June 16th -

What is your most innovative, inventive, or inexpensive piece of Hobby Kit?

June 17-18 :: Weekend Quest: clear and tidy your Hobby Area and post a picture documenting the Unexpected Act of Tidiness.

Or as a fallback/fail option find a picture on the Internet of a [tidy?] Hobby area you aspire to have someday.

Hubby won't drink unflavored water, so we buy a lot of off brand Crystal light. The lids make great throw away pallets, for stuff like primer, liner, and varnish. They're also great for mixing glue and snow stuff or grass stuff and putting sculpting putting on a clean surface. I also discovered that I can put them over any paint that I have out and they'll keep it from drying as quick, so if I need to take a quick break I can.

Weekend: I might tidy up my area, but it's not terribly likely.

Edited by redambrosia
Almost forgot weekend quest.
6 people like this

1 minute ago, redambrosia said:

Hubby won't drink unflavored water, so we buy a lot of off brand Crystal light. The lids make great throw away pallets, for stuff like primer, liner, and varnish. They're also great for mixing glue and snow stuff or grass stuff and putting sculpting putting on a clean surface. I also discovered that I can put them over any paint that I have out and they'll keep it from drying as quick, so if I need to take a quick break I can.

I think about half my table is covered with caps of different sorts. Round shapes are a pain to make on your own when scratchbuilding.

6 people like this

13 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

June 17-18 :: Weekend Quest: clear and tidy your Hobby Area and post a picture documenting the Unexpected Act of Tidiness

I accept the challenge

IMG_20170616_165550.thumb.jpg.5dcc52454f9ec7d168629c88880bcfae.jpg

I've seen worse, but this is pretty bad for me tastes.  The big pile of plastic bags on the left is all Bones 3, and the airbrush station on the right needs to be straightened up.  Stay tuned for after shots.

7 people like this

19 hours ago, TGP said:

June 16th -

June 17-18 :: Weekend Quest: clear and tidy your Hobby Area and post a picture documenting the Unexpected Act of Tidiness.

Or as a fallback/fail option find a picture on the Internet of a [tidy?] Hobby area you aspire to have someday.

I'm really drawing a blank on this one. Anything I mention, I've stolen ( the idea ) from someone/somewhere else.

Quest: not gonna happen this weekend. Can I post a picture from the last time that I did clean it?

7 people like this

20 hours ago, TGP said:

June 16th -

I know I have some things that I have used that might be considered innovative & cheap...cheap is a given considering available cash for most of my life, but I can't seem to come up with anything. I's a matter of being caught up in the craft for SO MANY years that nothing is new.

NEED clutter to be productive. SO you can stick the tidy suggestion in your ear.

6 people like this

20 hours ago, TGP said:

June 16th -

My wet palette, probably. It's a sandwich container from the dollar store, as well as some paper towel and then parchment paper. Doesn't cost that much.

As for cleaning up my hobby area, my weekend has been too chaotic to give me enough time to sort through things.

6 people like this

21 hours ago, TGP said:

June 16th -

Nothing innovative here but tons of my basing and terrain materials are inexpensive. Sand, rocks, leaves and twigs for free. Containers and cardboard are left over from various food products. One thing that's new for me and I like is using left over Kraft parmesan cheese containers for holding flock and sand. We eat a lot of it and have two different sizes. Being able to sprinkle the sand and flock is so much handier than trying to dip a base with wet glue on it into a tub. Over the last couple of months I've sorted several grades of sand and my most used flocks into them.

I might tidy up my area but no promises. My wife is a neat freak (and I'm most definitely not) and we have an unwritten agreement that my new shelves and painting table are my territory and she will not touch things on them. The workbench next to the table is neutral territory and I will try to keep it as clean as possible. She only goes into the room with my hobby hole about once a week and if anything is out of bounds it will be packed away somewhere. Never thrown out because she's a bit of a pack rat, just a very tidy one. the cupboards under the work bench are almost half full of various materials for terrain building.

Some before pictures. This is my area when I'm in full on hobby mode.

IMG_5021.jpg

IMG_5022.jpg

IMG_5023.jpg

The original idea with the shelves was only to import my finished and almost finished minis and terrain with some room for games and books. All neatly organised by army/warband. Several months later and they are starting to clutter up with various odds and ends. Nature abhors a vacuum. One thing of note is the white box on the lower left of the first pic. I just threw that there yesterday and I call it my box of holding. It contains about 90% of my minis from Bones I, II and III. Only large monsters, painted minis and a few that are in other boxes sorted by project aren't in it. I sometimes call it Pandora's box too. Any time I open it up to find something my ideas go hairing off on a different tangent than I had planned. It might seem that it's not that much stuff but you need to remember I was only allowed this space a this year. Out at the farm I have over twice as much area where 3 more fantasy armies, 5 40k armies and most of my games and books are stored. Plus I've collected  a fair amount of junk with the idea of making terrain out of it. The photos are of my "this will be used/played with/painted soon" items. "Soon" being being a nebulous amount of time meaning possibly the next several years.

8 people like this

23 hours ago, TGP said:

June 16th -

IN terms of bang for my buck, it has got to Future Floor Polish.  I use it as a sealant, an adhesive, for scratch repair, as a polish, to form windows, etc.  It can be used as a dip, brushed on, airbrushed, etc.  Truly miraculous stuff for the hobbyist.

The Egg

5 people like this

32 minutes ago, Egg of Coot said:

IN terms of bang for my buck, it has got to Future Floor Polish.  I use it as a sealant, an adhesive, for scratch repair, as a polish, to form windows, etc.  It can be used as a dip, brushed on, airbrushed, etc.  Truly miraculous stuff for the hobbyist.

The Egg

Better be careful Egg, the unbelievers might try to burn you as a heretic...

Mine might be straight pins, as I can use them for just about every thing that a paper clip is good for, plus I mounted one in an old hairless paint brush handle as a sculpting tool...

I use 2 different gauges of paper clip as well....

Old shaker cheese containers for flocking as well...

And for the use and utility vs cost, my gaming table can't be beat!

99% of the components were salvaged from work....

8 people like this

1 hour ago, Egg of Coot said:

The Egg

What is the current name of it now..?  The  meatspace memory is reporting label changes and name shenanigans. 

2 people like this

Mine may be a extremely large (36 yards) roll of Scotch double sided foam mounting tape. I got it for like 5 bucks when the local Kmart went belly-up. I think over the past couple years I've used maybe a foot off it. I use it mainly for spray paint model parts but it also is what I used to hold minis to Tamiya spray cans for painting.

8 minutes ago, TGP said:

What is the current name of it now..?  The  meatspace memory is reporting label changes and name shenanigans. 

I do believe it's Pledge Floor Finish with Future or something. I know they are trying to phase out the "Future" part of it.

Correction!!

SC Johnson Pledge Floor Care Multi-Surface Finish

4 people like this

22 hours ago, Pingo said:

Q-tips.

I don't use them so much in the hobby (the fibers catch on minis), although I do use them to blot water out of deep areas that are slow to dry and also to mop up tiny paint messes.

But in the rest of my art they are like a third hand.  They are amazing for selectively removing or blending certain kinds of wet paint.  They serve as great first-order pencil blenders.  They are super helpful for precise cleanup.  I keep a big jar of them at the ready whenever I'm doing art.

I buy them in the 500 piece carton...

5 people like this