Morihalda

Getting to Know Each Other - June

Question for June 19th — Are you in the habit of celebrating any lesser known holidays? If so, which ones?

• Like 5

N.B: As you can see the friendly local substitute Questioner is carrying on into Monday. Morihalda has promised to keep suggesting/writing questions but is probably not going to be able to carry-on posting them for June. 

My first answer for Monday is that I was able to observe Flag Day last week. A holiday that is likely confined to the 48+2 States. I even snapped a picture (of my little, tiny, truck window mounted flag):

IMG_1045.thumb.JPG.121e8d8e3e4ff3eebbe6e3495f773eb8.JPG

I need to figure out how to remove it before it wears out so I can store it for use next year

• Like 4

7 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for June 19th — Are you in the habit of celebrating any lesser known holidays? If so, which ones?

I don't do much in the way of celebrating holidays of any sort. I more or less just celebrate each day I'm given.

ADDENDUM: today is actually a holiday worth celebrating here in Texas. It is Juneteenth. On June 19th, 1865, General Order #3 was read in Galveston announcing the abolish of slavery.

It has been an official holiday since 1980. Freedom is something worth celebrating. 

Edited by malefactus
I forgot...
  • Like 5

20 hours ago, Egg of Coot said:

Wouldn't be the first time people wanted to burn me, won't be the last . . .

The Egg

But burned eggs are nasty :wacko:

5 hours ago, TGP said:

Um, not really. Most of the time I barely celebrate "normal" holidays.

And I always forget to talk like a pirate on sept 19. Even though I talk like one the rest of the year. :rolleyes:

• Like 8

6 hours ago, TGP said:

If it weren't for my kids, I'd barely celebrate the big ones, so no.  Other than potentially getting a day off work sometimes, meh!  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, TGP said:

1 hour ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Not particularly.

Unless International Tabletop Day counts.

That, free RPG day, free comic book day, Captain Picard day, towel day, read an RPG in public week...

• Like 5

6 hours ago, TGP said:

Not really, no.  Then again, I don't pay a whole lot of attention to the major ones anymore either.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TGP said:

I use daysoftheyear.com to find a silly holiday each day and put it up on my board at school, and then we read the date and what holiday it is (and one thing that happened in history from The History Channel) at the beginning of homeroom. 

We don't exactly celebrate them most of the time. If it's something simple like "Do a Puzzle Day" or "Talk Like a Pirate Day" then I do make some class time for it. 

Edited by Pineapple
  • Like 6

Only so we have an excuse to bring stuff in to work ::P: National Donut Day, National cherry pie day, etc.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, TGP said:

A few.

Tau Day (6/28)

International Talk Like a Pirate Day (9/19)

Bisexual Pride Day (9/23)

My Birthday (9/25)

Banned Books Day (9/25)

Ada Lovelace Day (10/10 this year)

National Coming Out Day (10/11)

Groundhog Day (2/2)

Groundhog Day (2/2)

Pi Day (3/14)

Steak and a Blowjob Day (3/14)

Groundhog Day (2/2)

May the Fourth (5/4)

Towel Day (5/25)

Lag Day (6/14)

Groundhog Day (2/2)

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, etherial said:

A few.

Tau Day (6/28)

International Talk Like a Pirate Day (9/19)

Bisexual Pride Day (9/23)

My Birthday (9/25)

Banned Books Day (9/25)

Ada Lovelace Day (10/10 this year)

National Coming Out Day (10/11)

Groundhog Day (2/2)

Groundhog Day (2/2)

Pi Day (3/14)

Steak and a Blowjob Day (3/14)

Groundhog Day (2/2)

May the Fourth (5/4)

Towel Day (5/25)

Lag Day (6/14)

Groundhog Day (2/2)

Heh... 

• Like 2

Questioner's second answer I wasn't the only one celebrating Flag Day:

IMG_1060.thumb.jpg.0ed6da8761ec65971fe5eddb33e2c951.jpg

I snapped this while momentarily parked next to a fire truck. They were showing a flag but not exactly a normal American flag. Does anybody know what is up with this variant?

• Like 4