Morihalda

Getting to Know Each Other - June

7 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for June 22nd -  Do you have a spot to yourself at work - a desk, a locker, a cube, an office? How you personalize it? Are you :ph34r: allowed to personalize it?

5 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

I haven't been at my new job long enough to personalize everything. When I worked at a call center I had always put up every work-relevant comic I could find that I could get past management.:ph34r:

Pretty much this. Only been here a month now. 

• Like 2

6/22: I have an office that I share with one other guy; nobody really gives a hoot what we do to personalize, so I've got pictures of my kids, various printouts of memes that I've found amusing, various awards I've won, and a large collection of Lego sets that I've built over the years.  I've been in this office for probably 5 years (of the nearly 9.5 I've worked for this company), so I've accumulated quite a bit.

ETA: Oh, and a coffee pot for the most important thing an engineer needs to get through the day...

Edited by LordJosh
  • Like 4

6/22- More like a cubbie. I got a desk, in a corner, with some random shelving above my head. And yes, I can and have customized it. Got my S.H.I.E.L.D. ID badge, my discharge certificate from the USAF, coins and trophy from my Rivercon wins, a .223 round (live) that got jammed into the brass case so far that I'm afraid to try and fire it, the plastic Ruger barrel label that they use to advertise behind the counter at the gun shop from my AR, and a sweet Cowboy Bebop poster that I picked up at Mechacon a few years ago. It's small, I'm constantly hitting my head, but it's my little corner and it makes me feel comfortable.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for June 22nd -  Do you have a spot to yourself at work - a desk, a locker, a cube, an office? How you personalize it? Are you :ph34r: allowed to personalize it?

Yeah, my company everyone gets their own office. Even interns and part timers. By seniority, we get windows. But most of the offices have windows, so no big deal. I have a small keurig, a small collection of coffee mugs, several Lego architecture sets, and family pictures including a caricature of my 10 month old and a great picture of me, my dad, and my brother all on stage jamming out to some Wallflowers. Also, a convertible standing desk, because I find myself slouching too often. And a mini-usb powered fridge next to my PC tower. And a Dilbert calendar. And. And. And. Well, yeah, this office is mine.

IMG_20170622_082416201_HDR.jpg

• Like 8

7 hours ago, TGP said:

I have desk that is personalized via piles of mostly work related stuff and mostly not work related sticky notes on the wall behind it.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, TGP said:

I have a cubicle with some family portraits, my Origins Award nomination, a couple of photos I took here at work (trees in the snow and a red-tailed hawk standing on a balcony rail that I took from my previous cube), the magnets that people in my group buy on vacation (it's a tradition), random marketing stuff from previous years (either because it was something that I was asked to photograph or because it was something I inherited from a previous employee), ....

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TGP said:

I have a desk (technically a hardware engineering bench) and a lab. If the lab were better climate controlled, I wouldn't use the desk at all. My desk is personalized by my selection of fine teas, the height of tabletop (I set mine an inch lower than everyone else's because it's more comfortable for me that way), and for decoration my Soundwave mp3 player and Ravage USB drive. The lab is not really personalized.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, TGP said:

I have a desk in a room with no separators/cubicles.  I can personalize, but haven't beyond a pen holder I made to keep my pens and pencils from being scattered and a menu for the best burger truck in town under the clear acrylic top.  One of my co-workers has his decorated with comic book character and Star Wars items.  I tend to cycle through random work related items or people leave work related items on my desk, so I haven't decorated for the safety of my personal items.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TGP said:

When I was a working Guy, I never had the sort of job that had a personal area. So I'd have to say no.

For the last fifteen or so years I've been working my craft as my exclusive "job" . My work spot it totally personalized.

It is a interesting place, although I wouldn't go so far as calling it decorated...it is just filled with lots of strange stuff.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, TGP said:

I have a corner that is mine.  I share half of the space with a "drone" computer (has specialized spatial science programs for mapping out drone captured data) that frequently gets a crowd and a student computer for our after 5 lab hours student worker.  In that area I have a PC and a 27" iMac.  I'm down to only the iMac screen and 2 x 24" widescreen monitors... so that takes up most of my available real estate (I used to have 3 x 21" but the widescreen makes up for dropping one).  I have a blizzard of post-it notes for things to make it into our ticket system and for follow up reminders.

For personalization, I have a corkboard that covers the windows (out into the student lounge area) behind my PC monitors.  I always have several funny things up there along with work related items.  I also keep a d20 on the monitor stand.  Then there is a photo of my wife on the top deck of a cruise ship in Galveston between my PC and my iMac.  When I am involved in a play that I have a stage role in, I will tape the poster to my iMac as extra advertising (one of our faculty gives out extra credit, but others that use the labs all the time will come out as well).  And that's about it.  

• Like 1

I teach, but I don't have a classroom to myself, thus limiting customization options. Furthermore, customization should be limited to things that little hands can rip apart without grief to you or them. "It just came apart in my hands!"

I do keep a rolly toolbox filled with interesting junk and surprises... padlocked. It has been groped, examined, and abused, but not broken yet, although I do understand that at one point it rolled out of a classroom, down the hall, and fell down a flight of stairs ALL BY ITSELF...

Didn't break, though, or open. So I figure it'll do it again at least once in the coming school year.

• Like 8

I have a cubicle which I personalize to a far greater extent than others in my work area (or, really, anywhere else in the company).

Behind my monitor I have some Dilbert cartoons, a screenshot from Army of Darkness ("This is my BOOMSTICK!"), and an inspirational poster made for myself.

To my right is my whiteboard and coat rack. 

To my left are postcards from places I've been, a couple more comic strips, a "Warning: Zombies Ahead" sign.

Behind me is where I keep pictures of my kids, more comic strips, some smart-elf bumper stickers, as well as my cabinet.  On the top of the cabinet are paper-craft buildings, and a few miniatures in a clear plastic case.

Ringing the upper walls of my cube are paper-craft buildings.

I've got a Harley Quinn coffee cup, as well as a Voltron coffee cup (when did Voltron start playing an electric guitar?), and a metal model of an F-14 (VF-84 - the Jolly Rogers).

I've also got a 2-player boardgame (Carcasonne: The Castle) just in case I need it. 

It is very possible I've gone overboard.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, TGP said:

I have a cubicle. It's not super personalized right now but I've been seriously considering getting very enthusiastic in femming it up because right now it looks like the space is inhabited by the most stereotypically oblivious male nerd.... OK, other than a couple 8x10 photos of flowers I have tacked up on the wall. 

What I'd really like to do would be to totally rip off the one office I saw during the Reaper tour I went on at last year's Reapercon... I can't for the life of me remember the name of the woman whose office it was and I know I should know it ... At any rate, I walked in and looked around and thought "THIS IS HEAVEN" and took a picture or two because holy cow did I love it and some day I am totally going to use that office for inspiration in setting up my own space. It's elegant and beautiful. Unfortunately I don't have the photo on my phone any more or I'd post it up now...

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, canuckotter said:

I have a cubicle. It's not super personalized right now but I've been seriously considering getting very enthusiastic in femming it up because right now it looks like the space is inhabited by the most stereotypically oblivious male nerd.... OK, other than a couple 8x10 photos of flowers I have tacked up on the wall. 

What I'd really like to do would be to totally rip off the one office I saw during the Reaper tour I went on at last year's Reapercon... I can't for the life of me remember the name of the woman whose office it was and I know I should know it ... At any rate, I walked in and looked around and thought "THIS IS HEAVEN" and took a picture or two because holy cow did I love it and some day I am totally going to use that office for inspiration in setting up my own space. It's elegant and beautiful. Unfortunately I don't have the photo on my phone any more or I'd post it up now...

I know exactly which office you're thinking of, and yes, I agree 100% it was stunning, elegant, and perfect!

And then there was @Reaperbryan's office!! :lol:

• Like 8

13 hours ago, TGP said:

I have a cubicle at work. I'm not much of a fan of cubicles, but it's what they give me.

I have a whole bunch of work-related computer books, some random pictures, awards, toys and knick-knacks in it. I also have an adjustable monitor arm, which is company-supplied, but not standard issue.

I'm allowed to do pretty much anything that doesn't extend past the cubicle walls, damage the material, or violate basic decency codes to my cube, but I haven't done much.

I've considered more impressive decorations a few times, but... eh.  It's hard for me to get seriously attached to a cube.

My home office / hobby space is way more personal. :mellow:  

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 3