Morihalda

Getting to Know Each Other - June

810 posts in this topic

On 6/23/2017 at 5:53 PM, TGP said:

Weekend Questioning June 23 to 24/25: Hot Dogs...

b) Plain buns or something fancy?

c) Mustard or Ketchup?

m) Beef dogs, Pork dogs, Turkey dogs? ...Brats (Bratwurst)??

Weekend Quest: try some new (to you) variation of hot dog or hot dog fixin's and report the results.

Bonus Essay Question: explain why the letters were b,c,m...

bun: plain, white

condiments: brown mustard and minced onion

meat: Bratwurst

When I was in school at the University of Pittsburgh there was a hot dog vendor, Scotty, who used to work right outside the Library on campus, he called everyone "Dad", and I would regularly buy a smoked sausage (plain bun, brown mustard, minced onions), coke, and bag of chips from him.  That was the pinnacle of the hot dog experience in my estimation.

3 people like this

Research

HD-Post_Reuben-Dog-e1466193494914.jpg

The Reuben Dog

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

As far as I'm aware cheese dogs are filled with little pockets of cheese. They are less than pleasant.

2 hours ago, etherial said:

And by cheese we mean "a yellowy-orange substance that is almost but not quite entirely unlike cheese".

Now available in sausage as "Cheddarbrats".

Eeeeeuuwwwwwwww.

4 people like this

Research

Chili-Cheese-Dog.jpg

The Chili** Cheese Dog

...it appears additions like diced white onions, diced red onions, or assorted mustards are (regional?) options. 

**the blighters that made this photo apparently believe beans are an allowable inclusion in Chili — which is a whole other food debate all its own.

1 person likes this

On 2017-6-23 at 5:53 PM, TGP said:

Weekend Quest: try some new (to you) variation of hot dog or hot dog fixin's and report the results.

Update:

Had a hotdog for lunch today with sliced pickles. It was really good! ::):

20170624_114716.thumb.jpg.5ce37a7122e4d58311d78cd2d34878f1.jpg

What we can learn from this:

You can put pretty much anything on a hotdog, and it will taste great, because hotdogs are great.

3 people like this

I don't have pictures but I did have hot dogs today. I put sweet & hot mustard on them for something new. It wasn't bad but I'm not sure I'd do it all the time.

3 people like this

On 6/23/2017 at 4:53 PM, TGP said:

c) Mustard or Ketchup?

Bonus Essay Question: explain why the letters were b,c,m...

b) Bread don't care... in fact, for my favorite, I'll take any plain bread and slap the Bratwurst in it while I am standing at the grill and enjoy the best bites long before anyone else gets anything off the grill.

c) Yes.  Both... and add pickle relish (either kind).  I'm also down with peppers ala Chicago-dog style

m) Bratwurst first... always Bratwurst first.  After that, I'll go Angus, Jewish and not super interested...

m2) And if you do Turkey anything in the Microwave... I'm going to have to hurt you.  Not sure what is in it, but something in turkey bacon and hot dogs that when microwaved will drift through the house and cause my intestines on the left side of my body to seize / cramp / hurt.  Not sure what it is, but I can always tell when any processed turkey is placed in the microwave... I figure that means it isn't anything good for you, so I recommend against it in all circumstances.  Don't get me wrong, I eat lots of turkey, but I prefer to cook it myself or just eat it as cold cuts.

Quest Denied: My travel to Alabama and already purchasing the final groceries for the month preclude attempting this Kawest.  

Buns, Condiments, Meat

2 people like this

From the trip to the grocery store this evening.

IMG_20170624_203931.thumb.jpg.f36612a1d1366b20cab336baaa8b672c.jpg

IMG_20170624_203938.thumb.jpg.1eae5cab29d15b047336eccb85153a97.jpg

2 people like this

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Research

The Reuben Dog

Shouldn't that be a Rye Bun?  And do they make rye hot dog buns?

Just now, hdclearman said:

From the trip to the grocery store this evening.

IMG_20170624_203931.thumb.jpg.f36612a1d1366b20cab336baaa8b672c.jpg

IMG_20170624_203938.thumb.jpg.1eae5cab29d15b047336eccb85153a97.jpg

Hmm... I think I could try either of these in the near future!

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Research

The Reuben Dog

There is a restaurant in town called Wienerschnitzle.  They serve hot dogs in various styles, one of which is a Pastrami dog and would be very yummy with sauerkraut, Swiss cheese and thousand island.

2 people like this

On phone so will keep this short-ish.

B) regular New England hot dog bum (no I don't know what exactly makes it New England style but that's what they are labled)

C) depends on the meat.  Hot dog is ketchup, spicy brown mustard, relish, and diced raw onions.  Brats are spicy brown mustard and if I'm feeling fancy grilled onions and peppers.  Italian sausage is grilled onions and peppers.  Sometimes I'll toss grilled mushrooms on the brat or sausage.

3 people like this

Plain, New-England-Style bun,
Mustard (and diced white onion),
Beef or pork, either way.

2 people like this

c) Mustard or Ketchup?

Use whole Rye buns, Mustard, Ketchup and Sauer Kraut. Real Bratwurst.

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

On phone so will keep this short-ish.

B) regular New England hot dog bum (no I don't know what exactly makes it New England style but that's what they are labled)

C) depends on the meat.  Hot dog is ketchup, spicy brown mustard, relish, and diced raw onions.  Brats are spicy brown mustard and if I'm feeling fancy grilled onions and peppers.  Italian sausage is grilled onions and peppers.  Sometimes I'll toss grilled mushrooms on the brat or sausage.

The "New England" buns are sliced on top instead of sideways...

1 person likes this

19 hours ago, etherial said:

I was too. I suspect in both our cases it was an early sign of a developing foodie who hasn't figured out how to articulate their wants/needs.

yeah, now I get very excited to try food types I've never tried. Not really so into new dishes at places where I'm decidedly "meh" (like, I'm super into Indian and Korean, but very 'meh' on Thai, so new Indian dishes = amazing, new Thai, sure, whatever, if we must).

1 person likes this