DefectiveDonor

WIP 77557 KS3 Mystic Circle

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I'm relatively new to painting and had to put it on the back burner for a while. My KS3 shipment just came in and I figured the Mystic Circle would be the perfect "mini" to jump back in with.  

I was out of crazy glue and could not assemble it. If your in this situation, sharpies fit inside the stone pillars perfectly.   

I used craft store black paint to base coat the stone, and inadvertently made a half wash. I'm not happy with how it pooled in some areas, but I'm going to move on an use it as a learning experience.  

Im planning on using a dremel to carve in runes on the stone. Has anyone used anything else to carve into reaper bone material?

Any tips or C&C would be appreciated.  

IMG_6541.JPG

IMG_6544.JPG

Edited by DefectiveDonor
15 people like this

Nice start so far.

2 people like this

Looking good so far.  Keep up the good work.

1 person likes this

I dremeled a rune in each column. There is 7 columns if you count the complete columns as one each so I found "runes for the seven deadly sins." 

Move put down a blue wash down followed by three grays layers of dry brushing, an off white dry brushing, and a brown wash. I think it's looking pretty good so far.  

Im planning on putting/painting moss on the stones, painting the runes the colors representing the seven deadly sins and giving them a glow effect. I would love to put some ivy on the columns but I cannot find any locally or on Amazon. 

Im leaning on an autumn-ish basing, but I'm not sure. Can you have green moss during the autumn? 

The side by side shot of the columns is before and after the brown wash. 

IMG_6584.JPG

IMG_6585.JPG

IMG_6586.JPG

8 people like this

Your runes came out great. The stones are looking ominously mystical. 

I've never bought any ivy for basing but I have some Army Painter Battlefields Lichen Summer Undergrowth (it's on Amazon, ebay, Miniature Market, etc...). Would something like that work? It doesn't have leaves like ivy but you may be able to add a bit of leaf scatter.

Spoiler

ARP-BF4109.jpg

1 person likes this

I haven't done the runes yet, that's just the blue wash.  

I actually have that product you've shown. I thought it would be firmer that it is, it's almost rubbery. I have to look up how to use it. 

I painted up the runes and attempted to make them appear to glow. I think the blue and purple came out rather well. The yellow and pink not so much at all. For some reason when painting some of the runes, the blue wash that I painted several layers ago was drawn to the top.  

I put down a layer of Gale Force 9 autumn flock, hoping it looks like leaf clutter and I mixed green paint with some dried tea leaves. That's drying now and will hopefully work well for moss. After the moss is on, I think the mystic Circle will be finished. 

IMG_6599.JPG

7 people like this

Added in some moss but it sort of looks like ivy I think. I don't think it's enough so I have some more drying today and I'm not sure if I should dry brush it a lighter green, red, orange, brown, or leave it as is. 

IMG_6663.JPG

7 people like this

I think it looks good as is but dry brushing it a lighter green could help it stand out if that's what you're looking for.

1 person likes this

Thanks. In person it looks good, but in the photos it looks a little bland.