Sign in to follow this  
Shinobis Shinpads

Help Identifying Old D&D Metal Miniatures

Hi everyone!

I'd really appreciate some help identifying some old miniatures if anyone can. I bought a ton of figures, most of which were pre slotta, and I'm left with a 100 or so that after a week of research I still can't identify! They are all in the pictures shown below. Very few of them have markings and if they do they are usually just random numbers (rather than any manufacturer). Pretty sure that most, if not all, will be before 1985 and I doubt any will be citadel (although I may have missed a couple). 

I am working on this constantly so finding things from time to time, such as the vampire upper right in picture one I've just identified as Asgard, as is the wolfman bottom left of picture 6 (pleased with that one as wanted it for a while!!)

As I say, any help would be so very much appreciated, and possibly rewarded with free pancakes. That's how keen I am to identify these little folk. Thank you so much in advance!

IMG_6739.JPG

IMG_6740.JPG

IMG_6742.JPG

IMG_6743.JPG

IMG_6811.JPG

IMG_6812.JPG

IMG_6814.JPG

IMG_6815.JPG

IMG_6816.JPG

Edited by Shinobis Shinpads
Updated pictures
  • Like 1

First photo, third figure bottom row---I'm pretty sure that is an old grenadier miniatures mummy.

Last photo, blue and green painted ogre/troll---looks like it might be a very old Citadel figure.

Theres a group on facebook called old school miniature or vintage lead. Those guy would know.

• Like 1

First glance, looks like the majority are old Asgard, Archive, and maybe some Heritage... I'll poke through the Lost Minis Wiki tomorrow when I get some time...

First pic, bat-thing in first row is Asgard Fantasy Monsters FM 10 Giant Bat... Next to it is Asgard Fantasy Monsters FM14 Spectre, next to him is Asgard Fantasy Monsters FM 31 Vampire (v. 2)...

Second pic, the rats appear to be Asgard Fantasy Monsters FM6 Giant Rat...

Bottom pic, the chicken head (and the body in the bottom left corner of the pic above it) is Asgard Fantasy Monsters FM 12 Cockatrice (v. 2) - I believe the wing under the dinosaur's tail is the correct wing for the cockatrice (bit hard to tell from the pic, but the nubs and holes look right) so you seem to have both of them...

I believe the dinosaur-looking thing ( and the long tail that goes with it) is actually Asgard Fantasy Monsters FM 58 Wyvern Attacking, but I don't see the wings for it...

Sixth pic, right bottom corner, left to right - Archive's Middle Earth series 528 Low Orcan with Axe, 525 Low Orcan Archer, 526 Low Orcan with Glaive (blade is broken off), and 529 Low Orcan with Scimitar...

• Like 6

The only one I know for sure is the blue and green one in the last photo. He's an old GW or Marauder (GW subsidiary) ogre. I bought him 20+ years ago for my bloodbowl team and still have him.

• Like 2

in the 5th picture, the two winged demons on rectangular bases at the left are Minifigs Valley of the Four Winds figures; you can almost read the VFW48(?) on one of the bases in the picture.  

• Like 1

You guys have been fantastic! Special thnaks to Mad Jack as I cleared a fair few. I've updated the pictures removing what I've had identified and adding a few of halflings and dwarves. This is the last of them, just these left and I will have identified around 700 pre slotta miniatures!!

• Like 6

First pic, first row...

fifth fig - Grenadier 2002 Halflings small box set, (G) Camp Guard...

seventh fig - Grenadier 2003 Dwarves small box set, (G) Axeman...

First pic, second row...

third fig - Grenadier 2002 Halflings small box set, (H) Slinger....

sixth and seventh figs - Citadel Fantasy Specials FS62 Village Children...

• Like 1

Thanks again guys. Mad Jack, the Asgard identification has proven to be massive. Just realised a load more are in there, including lady troll, the rabbits, the frog and a few more. I only have about 30 more to identify which is great. That gandalf looking wizard is the one I really want right now!

• Like 1

Late in the day (as I recently came upon this on t'internet -  but did you ID all the Asgards? You have a couple of rare ones there! There is the zombie (bottom right in one pic) and also the running hornhead (very rare! 2 left of the female Troll). Great basis for an Asgard collection. There is now also an Asgard Miniatures Collectors Facebook group. Happy days! 

I'm in the middle of writing a book about Asgard - which will have the most comprehensive identification guide yet produced (if all goes to plan). They made over 500 large scale minis plus a few hundred 15mms. The sculptors went on to be world renowned in both the gaming industry and in the wider art world (check out what Nick Bibby does now!). I recently managed to get in touch with a chap called stan Pochron (up to now an unidentified sculptor) and found out that John Blanche actually sculpted a mini for them - the Trunkhand Tuskoid from the Creatures of Chaos range. Lots of Asgards are still made by Viking Forge in the US and Alternative Armies in the UK.

A lot of folk aren't aware of the sheer range of sci-fi, western Gunfighters and Historicals they produced. They also pioneered big minis - the dragon and Giant by Nick Bibby were amongst the biggest sculpts done in the late 70's.

• Like 3