Mehman

Pale Flesh Starting Order

Right then, I've put together a list of some paints from Reaper that I plan to order this month (so that I can get that sweet, sweet 25th Anniversary model on the down-low). This is my first serious plunge into their paint line as I've really only ordered some paints for red hair - both natural and unnatural - and for a failed project in the distant past. The question is as follows: does this list of paint below encompass a fairly large scope for creating pale skin tones?

Master Series Paint

- Tanned Skin Triad -

09043 - Tanned Shadow

09044 - Tanned Skin

09045 - Tanned Highlight

- Fair Skin Triad -

09046 - Fair Shadow

09047 - Fair Skin

09048 - Fair Highlight

- Vampiric Skin Triad -

09274 - Vampiric Shadow

09275 - Vampiric Skin

09276 - Vampiric Highlight

- Miscellaneous -

09062 - Leather White

09432 - Desert Sand

09436 - Bleached Linen

09447 - Undead Flesh

Master Series Paint HD

29822 - Suntan Flesh

29823 - Caucasian Flesh

29824 - Maiden Flesh

29850 - Elfin Flesh

Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

• Like 2

That's a fine list for painting up tanned to fair skin. I would consider adding either Rosy Skin or Rosy Highlight to the list. It can be useful for adding a hint of life to the nose and cheeks of a pale (living) figure. It's also nice to have a brick red, deep blue, or even a dark purple for shading. 

• Like 3

I have become a fan of the Golden Skin triad too. It goes well with the tan and fair. 

My dwarf zerker is with the golden triad, with a few tints of fair and tan. 

I also find that the tanned skin shadow and base are super similar (might be that my bottle of base is old though). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cyradis said:

I also find that the tanned skin shadow and base are super similar (might be that my bottle of base is old though). 

I've noticed the same thing actually.  Tried to "correct" it with some Agrax Earthshade which ended up being too much.  :p

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CorallineAlgae said:

That's a fine list for painting up tanned to fair skin. I would consider adding either Rosy Skin or Rosy Highlight to the list. It can be useful for adding a hint of life to the nose and cheeks of a pale (living) figure. It's also nice to have a brick red, deep blue, or even a dark purple for shading. 

This

• Like 2

I'd consider 09098: Clear Magenta as well. It works very well as a glaze to add some color after you have your tones set without needing to do a complete repaint. I'll note that it's quite intense, so it needs to be pretty thin as a glaze.

• Like 5

Dusky Skin is a good one, if you're tweaking the list, and Ashen Brown. They aren't must haves, but I've found them useful in painting flesh tones. 

• Like 2

For pale skin I use the Tanned Highlight instead of the Fair Shadow and will mix a little bit of white with the Fair Highlight.  I don't think there's enough difference in the Fair triad, at least not enough for my eyes to see.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Sergeant_Crunch said:

For pale skin I use the Tanned Highlight instead of the Fair Shadow and will mix a little bit of white with the Fair Highlight.  I don't think there's enough difference in the Fair triad, at least not enough for my eyes to see.

I notice a distinct difference, but it is slight. I tend to use it as a triad, then add tanned highlight as further shadowing, and occasionally a wee dab of pink into the fair skin as blush (I don't yet have the rosy triad - wishlisted). 

• Like 3

For shading pale Caucasian type skin, I recommend the colours Ashen Brown and/or Saddle Brown. It's tricky to shade because if you use something a little too saturated the shading stands out and looks weird, or it can seem way too dark, but Ashen Brown and Saddle Brown let you shade with a softer and more subtle look while still getting good depth of shadow. (Note you will likely need to mix several steps of shadow with your flesh base coat colour for a nice transition.)

You may find some of those similar. I find I only need a couple of pale flesh base colours, then I can get more variety with shadow and highlight colours, but I don't typically paint super pale skin, so YMMV.

If you don't already have Linen White, I'd add that, very good for highlighting skin, and a variety of other things. Leather White is also useful, though I'd use it less for skin. You already have the Vampiric Skin triad for a grey skin. Leather White is another kind of grey-white. It is a smidge different, but you'll get more mileage swapping in Linen White if you're at your budget limit for this order.

Bright Skin HL is a more yellowy pale skin colour than the others you've listed if that's a hole you'd like to fill. It's also very nice for highlighting medium tone skin colours.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Forgot to ask earlier:  What do you use to shade tanned skin?  I've been having trouble with that because everything seems to either be too stark (even when mixed) or not enough.  Granted, I have a relatively limited number of paints at the moment, but have more than enough to mix if need be.

For skin with a base of Tanned Skin, I mostly use Dark Highlight, Bronzed Skin, or Bronzed Skin Shadow. (I don't find that Tanned Shadow is dark enough.)

• Like 3

Thanks for all the comments, everyone! This was the one area in the paints that I was unsure about and y'all helped out tremendously. Woo hoo ^_^!

I'm going to swap out Suntan Flesh and Elfin Flesh from the HD paints for Ashen Brown and Saddle Brown and Desert White for Linen White. Truth be told, I can't afford to get anything else this time around so no Rosy Skin Triad, Golden Skin Triad, or Dusky Skin. I think I've got a substitute for Clear Magenta but I'll look into getting it at a later date. Actually, I might have Vampiric Skin already due to getting the Ghoulie Bag last Hallowed Eve so I might be able to get Dusky Skin instead of it.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Gargs said:

Forgot to ask earlier:  What do you use to shade tanned skin?  I've been having trouble with that because everything seems to either be too stark (even when mixed) or not enough.  Granted, I have a relatively limited number of paints at the moment, but have more than enough to mix if need be.

I tried tanned shadow, but it is too similar. So I start with that, and then glaze with my Devlan Mud wash. I might use Dark Skin very thinned down (don't have whole triad yet). 

Pretty much, whatever brown is darker and seems appropriate seems to be a possible option depending on thinning or mixing. 

I still want more paint colors... can never have too many colors.

Edited by Cyradis
  • Like 2