It made me laugh that your post was basically like "I'm going to paint something instead of sculpting! ....so here's the sculpting I did!" ::P:

The sculpting is beautiful, of course. I really look forward to seeing what you do with this guy - sculpting and painting alike!

• Like 13

38 minutes ago, Guindyloo said:

It made me laugh that your post was basically like "I'm going to paint something instead of sculpting! ....so here's the sculpting I did!" ::P:

The sculpting is beautiful, of course. I really look forward to seeing what you do with this guy - sculpting and painting alike!

LOL.  Yeah, I guess it is second nature now.

So here's some more sculpting: ::D:

I finished the head crest, added the scales to the neck sides, enlarged the eyes and added eye lids, and fleshed out the lips a bit more.  The sculpting is now done, unless I see something else that needs work.

Spoiler

titan1.thumb.jpg.bca5c2e13014ccb0cdf0118120d393ce.jpg

titan2.thumb.jpg.e3f58f4195590198ad1e3adb13736137.jpg

I cleaned up the scales on the side of the neck a bit more after taking the picture.  The picture showed me that they still needed to be more organic.

• Like 19

Paint Has Happened!

Last night I got to a stopping spot on my current sculpt and broke out the paint.  When painting Bones, I typically prime them with one of the MSP liners.  They stick to the bones material extremely well, and other paint sticks to them.  Just a thin coat is all it takes.  My only problem is that I do not really like starting with a dark primer, so I was excited to see Reaper produce the new liner colors that came with Bones III.  I primed this guy in Sepia Liner on most of it, and a blend of Sepia Liner, Green Liner on the back scales, and Brown Liner on the furry arms:

titan3.jpg.0717f8a50a840aea31b6e8bab0c93992.jpg

titan4.jpg.67fbe28939a96c36d59b786aeaf7b496.jpg

Originally, I wasn't  planning on having him be gold and green, instead I was going to go more grey tones; I was mostly using the Sepia because it wasn't so dark. Then after having done so, I decided I really like this color combo, so I am sticking with it.  To that end, I began base coating the fine scaled areas of it with MSP Rattlesnake Leather (no pictures yet as it needs another coat).

At this point, I'm not sure what I am going to do with the belly scales, color-wise.

Thoughts and ideas welcome,

Andy

• Like 19

Huzzah for paint! :bday:

I really like the colour combo! Maybe you could return to your original idea of greys for the belly scales, but a green-hued grey to tie in with the green back scales.

• Like 3

Good idea. It will play well with the craziness that is forming in my mind now.

So I've been thinking on this in the past few minutes.  One thing I realized is that I have no emotional stake in the mini; I like it, sure, but I'm not invested in its outcome.  Really, I am painting this guy as an encounter for the table and maybe something cool to look at, but mostly to advance my skills.  To fulfill the later, I think I am going to get a bit crazy with color theory on this guy and also work on learning to use glazes for nearly everything.  If it turns out looking weird, so be it.  If it turns out amazing, well then I'll give it a killer base and throw it on the Painter table at the RC Open.

• Like 7

With your plates I think a singular horn on the snout would look good on this guy. Hmmmm if I ever get this guy I may have to try that.

Nice start, living the colors so far.

• Like 4

I did a direction change tonight, deciding to go with blues instead of green.  I really want to play with complementary color theory here.  Here is the new base coated version:

1.jpg.39975affe89b61fa0181635610540f1a.jpg3.jpg.1ce6c515c2274ee10766582b931eb4d3.jpg

Colors are as follows:

- Back scales: Night Sky Blue

- Belly Scales: Templar Blue

- Gold scales: Rattlesnake Leather

- Skin: Pale Lichen

After that, I shaded the gold scales using glazes of Rattlesnake Leather/Brown Liner, Brown Liner, and Blue liner:

1.jpg.0b856b1831f32617007157e0a94b6529.jpg2.JPG.e7a5c213b941e5b2662ff2da3db191af.JPG

The effect looks a lot more impressive in person and should pop when I get the highlights on. I have to say that using glazes instead of layers gives me a lot more fine control and speeds the process.

Next, I will be highlighting the gold skin.

Have a great night,

Andy

• Like 19

Interesting, I could have sworn the scales were a orange based color. I like that.

• Like 2

Digging it! Pale Lichen is a beautiful colour and that is some seriously nice looking shading on the scales - it's definitely going to pop beautifully when you've got the highlighting in!

• Like 3

Sorry this has been taking a back seat lately to all the sculpting I've been doing and the work on getting NightyKnight ready to go to college. I expect to get back to it later this week or next.

• Like 5