Sign in to follow this  
vulture

Ugh, robbed

While I was working today someone burgled my house. they sacked the place and made off with some stuff.

my minis were disturbed; played with, even. some were damaged and I suspect a few might be missing from my completed collection. :angry:

Other than that, the guy(s)seemed like pros. well selected point and method of entry, very targeted & efficient, no finger prints. odd.

Ouch. Hope everything gets sorted out okay, and I hope you had records of all your serial numbers on electronics, firearms, and other high value objects that may have had them. Having worked at a police department as a clerk, I know that without serial numbers there's no real way of tracking stolen property with any accuracy.

For the future reference of everyone, I recommend taking pictures of both the valuable things you own and their serial numbers, then storing copies of those pictures on your choice of cloud storage as well as keeping them locally on a USB stick or flash card somewhere.

• Like 10

So sorry to hear this vulture.

I hope things get back to normal for you as quickly as possible.

I experienced the same thing myself a few years back, so I understand what you're feeling.

• Like 3

Just now, vulture said:

I think the worst part is the intrusiveness of it. Definitely a violating feeling.

Yep. That bothered me for quite a while.

Had to change a few things to make the house more secure and had trouble sleeping for awhile, but it did get better.

Though there were pics on the computer and camera they stole from me that I still get angry over losing when I think about it.

I hope the things they took from you are replaceable.

• Like 4

Oh no!  I'm so sorry.  That's terrible.

• Like 5

I'm glad no bodily harm came to you vulture! :hugs:

Edited by redambrosia
Forgot a word...
  • Like 6

We were burgled about 4 years ago. Same as you, the stuff is replaceable, it's that feeling of being insecure in your own home that is the lasting damage. It does (mostly) go away with time. 

We lost essentially all of our honeymoon photos and a lot of the photos and videos of our daughter's first year. Thankfully my wife was able to get a lot of the stuff about our daughter back because they were still saved on Facebook and in emails. The honeymoon photos are gone though. 

Edited by Pineapple
  • Like 4

I'm sorry to hear about this.  Hopefully, nothing too important was taken.

The Egg 

I had a break in a few years back. Thing is I think who did it I heard outside pausing by my window a few nights before. (I had forgotten to lock it after having it open on a hot summer night.) The person who targeted me was most likely a druggie, who was looking for an easy score. 

They missed my my laptop though because they made such a quick search of my bag, and thought about taking my TV, but decided against trying to carry my 28 inch 1992 CRT because it weighed 50-75lbs. :lol:

I too had that violated feeling, it sucked. I hope your insurance makes the financial pain not too bad, and that they didn't take any very hard to get limited editions. 

• Like 5

Sorry to hear that, but glad nobody was hurt.  Wish there was a "Dislike" button because liking this post doesn't feel right.  My wife and I were burgled about 15 years ago.  Only took an electric shaver as far as we could tell, but they had obviously been through a lot of stuff.  Several townhouses in our complex got hit and we figured it was kids.

As mentioned above, if you have serial numbers on anything that was taken, that will help immensely as odds are your stuff will get taken to a pawn shop.  Unfortunately, one of the biggest misconceptions out there is that its easy to get fingerprints when in reality, most surfaces don't leave very good finger prints.  We had a case in our county several years ago where we were prosecuting somebody for being a meth cook.  We knew the house where he was alleged to be cooking (though he wasn't one of the residents).  He claimed he had never even been in that house, so we sent the police out to try to collect finger prints (this was right after he was arrested and within a day of when he was alleged to have last cooked).  Police didn't find a single finger print.  Of anyone.  Including the four residents who lived there.  Anywhere in the house.  

So yeah, unfortunately with most burglaries you either have to catch them in the act, catch the bragging about it, or catch them pawning the stuff in order to catch them.  :(

• Like 7

Thanks for the support all, though, its sad to hear that so many people have had a similar experience. 

/redacted because it was a depressing overshare/

The more I find missing, the more dejected I become. They targeted my camping stuff, and effectively stole my children's summer. They took my jacket; it rains a lot in Seattle. It's raining today. 

Edited by vulture
  • Like 2