Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vulture

Ugh, robbed

42 posts in this topic

I ran into an armed burglar once. Several, actually. That's been almost twelve years ago now. Fools.

I'm very sorry to hear about this, Vulture, and will echo the others in saying at least no one was physically harmed.

3 people like this

That's a shame Vulture.  it sucks when the things you consider part of your life are taken.  Fortunately the only times I have had things taken, its been inconsequential or easily replicable. 

Wish I was closer, I have much camping gear that will be going unused as my current medical condition means I am not doing more than assisted day hikes for the foreseeable future.  Best of luck and if there is anything I can do to help...

3 people like this

1 hour ago, Mehman said:

I ran into an armed burglar once. Several, actually. That's been almost twelve years ago now. Fools.

You say that like there's an unusually vigorous fruit tree somewhere on the property.

10 people like this

Sympathies and well wishes. I understand the "violated" feeling, very much so; when it happened to me, the guy made a mess of my apartment, but only took a VCR (and the wrong remote) and a pillowcase.

It was a local high school student. We know this because he put the VCR in the pillowcase, and then decided to put the whole thing in his backpack. Trouble is, the backpack was full. So he took his large Shop Class text book out of the backpack to make room, and stuffed the VCR in there, and then looted my next door neighbor's place, and sauntered on out... having forgotten the textbook on my coffee table.

Cops traced it directly to him inside an hour of reporting.

9 people like this

1 hour ago, kitchen_wolf said:

You say that like there's an unusually vigorous fruit tree somewhere on the property.

:ph34r:

7 people like this

So sorry to hear this. My car was broken into before I could get the window replaced after my abuser (who I had kicked out) punched it out. Lost my poncho, a Mexican blanket I loved, and my brother's tripod. I suspected a homeless person because of what was taken (radio was left alone).

You can also check receipts from when you bought your electronics... most stores scan the serial number and it gets printed on there. If you hoard the original boxes, it's also on there. Documentation (such as warranty cards) may also have it.

5 people like this

Too late for you, but...

I suggest that people place a networked HDD in a locked cupboard, the attic or somewhere else it won't be easily found, and use that as a Daily Backup of important files. (In addition to a USB drive that they keep outside of their home, of course. Mine is at the office)

Take a walk through your home once every half year with a video camera and film everything. Store video securely.

This can also be used in case of damage to the house.

Get a better front door and GOOD locks. Make certain easy to reach windows can't be forced open.

If you have a ladder outside, either get it inside a locked building or lock it to the wall with chains.

Druggies and other opportunists will give up on your house pretty quickly and go to the next one if they can't get in.

I will suggest NOT having a front door with a window in it as thieves often smash it to get to the lock on the inside.

7 people like this

Who breaks into a house and steals a coat? And camping gear? And stops to take time to play with miniatures?  I'm assuming you've told the police about all of this right? B/c it seems to sound like maybe you were specifically targeted, not hit by some random thieves. They'd want stuff that could be easily carried and turned into cash.

6 people like this

7 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

Too late for you, but...

I suggest that people place a networked HDD in a locked cupboard, the attic or somewhere else it won't be easily found, and use that as a Daily Backup of important files. (In addition to a USB drive that they keep outside of their home, of course. Mine is at the office)

Take a walk through your home once every half year with a video camera and film everything. Store video securely.

This can also be used in case of damage to the house.

Get a better front door and GOOD locks. Make certain easy to reach windows can't be forced open.

If you have a ladder outside, either get it inside a locked building or lock it to the wall with chains.

Druggies and other opportunists will give up on your house pretty quickly and go to the next one if they can't get in.

I will suggest NOT having a front door with a window in it as thieves often smash it to get to the lock on the inside.

Also, change out the screws of your hinges for longer ones. I think I used 4" screws on my door. You can also get a metal guard plate that fits around your locks to keep the door from splintering.

caff9084-10aa-42a4-baca-83d2ab8fbaba_1000.thumb.jpg.91f16023ffc2d34ec9e4f8fac8a59e86.jpg

And a fire/flood proof safe bolted to a concrete floor to keep important papers such as Social Security cards, passports, small valuables, and such.

4 people like this

I too have had my house entered and things stolen.  (It wasn't technically broken into as we'd left an inconspicuous window open for a power cord for the lawn mower.)  Not very professional - we thought they had taken my wife's purse (with credit cards) but it turned out to be hiding under a pillow.  (Sadly, we didn't find it until after we cancelled the credit cards.)  

Much feels for you, and I hope you had good insurance - we got to replace most everything.  (Heck, the DVD player I got as a special wedding treat in 1999 was replaced by a better unit that cost a fraction of the original price. :)

3 people like this

Do't forget to get security hinges for the doors.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, Chrome said:

Who breaks into a house and steals a coat? And camping gear? And stops to take time to play with miniatures?  I'm assuming you've told the police about all of this right? B/c it seems to sound like maybe you were specifically targeted, not hit by some random thieves. They'd want stuff that could be easily carried and turned into cash.

well, we don't really know anyone around here, so that just leaves strangers. We definitely filed a report. They mostly left the electronics alone (not nice enough) and took all of my wife's nicer jewelry. I figure they took that to pawn for drugs or whatever and the camping stuff because it was pretty cool man gear, value aside (I miss my golock machete, and it was a nice outdoor jacket). they didn't bother with my stacks of unpainted/assembled minis, so I doubt they knew their value. they probably just opened the cabinet and found ranks of painted little creatures and thought they were unusual enough to investigate/snoop. the neighbor kids said they saw someone lurking and the vague description didn't seem familiar.

my neighborhood has a lot of crime - several houses on my block have been burglarized in the year since we moved in and I've had some mail stolen (i bet they were confused when they opened that package and it had tiny metal 1980s star wars background characters and not something "cool"). It gets bad around the end of the month. My neighbors have told us that they've seen people casing our place and others a few months back, so we'd already started taking precautions. too little, too late, I guess.  More is in order - that metal guard plate is looking like a must.

Edited by vulture
4 people like this

Sorry Vulture you have to deal with this. Being robbed leaves a distaste that can not really abate.

2 people like this

Sorry to hear that.  The same happened to my brother a number of years ago. 

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Another couple of tips...

Don't make your home look like a fortress. Try to keep security precautions 'invisible'.

When setting out trash, take a look at it. Does anything scream 'disposable money'?

Why leave an empty box, proudly showing that it used to hold a 63" TV, when you can break it apart and stuff the bits into a paper shoppingbag?

EDIT: That doorplate is shiny... Make it less so.

Edited by Gadgetman!
6 people like this