I've enjoyed reading about the campaign so far.  It sounds like fun.

I was told by a friend that one of the Exalted developers World of Darkness was a possible future of the world of Exalted if the Solars did not return.  I've never looked for proof though.

On 8/28/2017 at 5:42 PM, Pingo said:

Hakiran's last life was as the (canonical) Shoat of the Mire, an Abyssal child working for the dreaded and possibly most dangerous Deathlord the Dowager of the Irreverent Vulgate in Unrent Veils (called the Dowager for short). Even other Abyssals felt sorry for the Shoat of the Mire.

My frightening questions are: What happened to the Dowager?  And, if she's still around, what is she planning?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

I've enjoyed reading about the campaign so far.  It sounds like fun.

I was told by a friend that one of the Exalted developers World of Darkness was a possible future of the world of Exalted if the Solars did not return.  I've never looked for proof though.

My frightening questions are: What happened to the Dowager?  And, if she's still around, what is she planning?

Apparently, that was the initial plan, but they scrapped it.  But there are interesting bits and shards within the WOD that point back toward Exalted and interesting bits and shards in Exalted that point forward toward WOD. 

A few examples:

1.  In both the demon realm is named Malfeas.

2.  In both the capital city of the Underworld is named Stygia and exists near a place called the Venous Staircase.

3.  There are a few references in WOD to two beings called the Ebon Dragon and the Scarlet Empress (important beings in Exalted).

4.  The Abyssal Exalted are like super vampires and the Lunar Exalted are like super werecreatures. Exalted Fair Folk are like super faeries.

5.  In Exalted the Primordial machine god is named AutoChthon and his body is a realm called AutoChthonia.  In Mage, there is a mysterious place in Space called AutoChthonia that is ruled by a sentient computer.

6.  Exalted has natural sources of power called demenses.  WOD has similar things in both Werewolf and Mage (cairns and chantries respectively).

As for the Dowager.  In the game I'm running, all the Deathlords and the Abyssals were pulled into the Void when the Neverborn went into it, so they're gone.  The Dowager had an escape route planned using the Well of Udr, but the Shoat of the Mire killed her just before the end.

In practical terms, I can't have Exalted era bad guys (or good guys) surviving the change of the world in any useful form, because they would simply have taken over (being so powerful compared to WOD characters).  So, one way or another they've been removed from being active (a lot of them are just gone, others are in various states of inactivity). 

Edited by PingosHusband
  • Like 2

I am way behind on updates (and had planned to catch up a bit first - there is a hilarious werewolf status report from early on I’d like to share, with the GM’s permission), but the GM asked me to share this here now because I originally posted it on the Randomness XIII thread and things there get buried fast.

It’s what just happened in the game this past weekend.

On 1/6/2018 at 1:35 PM, Pingo said:

Off to game day. The GM said to bring all my vampires, including the half-painted ones. I’m sure it’ll be fine. See y’all later!

17 hours ago, Pingo said:

Update time!

So here’s how the game session ended: With the PCs entering the room of Caine’s empty throne in the ghost of Enoch, the ancient city, the four Antedeluvians of the clans Brujah, Toreador, Ventrue, and Gangrel rising from their seats to confront us.

I am coming to the conclusion that what we are playing in is a superhero game.

The GM disagrees, but only because the PCs’ job is not to maintain the status quo (i.e. stopping muggings and bank robberies and preventing destruction of the world), but to clean up the horrendous mess the world has become.

The game uses Exalted as the prehistory of the World of Darkness.

The game background is, to run with the superhero metaphor, as though for millennia the world has been freely run for their own interests by the casts of Arkham Asylum and the House of Secrets and the House of Mysteries and the House of Dracula and all the secondary characters from the Sandman and Adam Strange and Spider-Man and all those weird old EC comics. And now suddenly all at once Superman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, Thor, She-Hulk, Phoenix, the Scarlet Witch and the Swamp Thing appear full-fledged, with memories but no support structure. And they are tougher than most everything but vastly outnumbered in a big, complex old mess of a world.

If anyone is interested in more details of the adventure, here are some, spoilered for the eye-glazing tedium of RPG session stories, and annotated because the White Wolf vocabulary is a little weird.

Hide contents

The game session began with a little downtime housecleaning, consequences of last adventure, research and practice time, etc. The GM, kindly or ominously, warned us that we might not wish to spend all our XP.

The adventure proper began when the party’s Hong Kong-based  Solar Zenith Caste (leader-priest) (who used to be a vampire) received a frantic Skype (yes) from a Sabbat Nosferatu (sewer vampire) (who normally despised her) that a vampire relation of hers had been kidnaped from North Africa and she had better do something about it.

Zenith promptly checked on her youngest vampire relation, who was learning magic from the party’s Solar Twilight Caste (scholar-mage) (who used to be a WoD mage).  The vampire was fine (Twilight ran a rehab center in Scotland crawling with mages, werewolves, and vampires, by definition well-protected), but was just about to call her that he had learned of a second vampire relation, much older and better protected, who had also been kidnaped at the same time from Russia.

It was definitely vampires that did it, and evidence suggested the Tremere (a clan of warlock vampires that nobody trusts). The working hypothesis was that the kidnaped vampires were to be leverage to force the Zenith to do what the kidnappers wanted.

The party assembled: the two Solars, Zenith and Twilight; another Solar, Night Caste (spy-assassin) (who used to be a vampire assassin from Arabia); a Lunar general-tactician who used to be a were-cat of some sort and is still somewhat secretive, from the U.S.; a Lunar ninja-warrior who used to be a Naga (were-cobra) from India; and a Sidereal Chosen of Serenity (a.k.a. “Joybringer”, a sort of happiness ninja wizard, it’s weird, okay?) who had been and was still a South Korean pop singer (and the only member of the party who had known nothing of the WoD before exalting - boy, that was an eye-opener).

Sidereals can normally trace people by their fates, but not this time.

A very nervous junior Tremere vampire herald showed up with threats and demands for Clan Tremere. We were obviously meant to kill him, so we subdued him instead (The Solar priest can drain the willpower from Creatures of Darkness by chewing them out for immorality and bad choices. It’s too slow for combat time but is extraordinarily effective in conversational time.).

Except, the whole thing was a trick. The Tremere had been set up. And when the party made its way through the Tremere stronghold in Vienna they discovered (spoilered again if you actually care about WoD spoilers)

Hide contents

the clan founder, Tremere, possessed momentarily by Saulot, who he had eaten a thousand years ago. Saulot was known as a generally Nice Guy, for an ancient vampire, who had invented certain spiritual paths seeking a humane way of vampirism.  Tremere is kind of universally loathed for eating him. And - surprise! - eaten does not necessarily mean gone.

Anyhow, Saulot revealed that there were two layers of set-up. It was meant to look like the Tremere had been framed by the Tzimisce (a clan of body-horror vampires who are, we learned recently, infected by an alien virus). But the real kidnappers were a shadowy group we had never heard of called the Tal'Mahe'Ra, an ancient society of allied mages and vampires, who wanted the Tzimisce wiped out and did not mind if the Tremere went down with them.

The true kidnappers were holding the two vampires in the ghostly city of Enoch in the Underworld, which explained why the Sidereal could not find them, since the city is outside of Fate.

So the party made its way to the Underworld and infiltrated the city and quietly fought a bunch of vampires and discovered the kidnaped vampires locked in sarcophagoi in a ghostly temple and got them out and fed them some other vampires (look, it gets weird, okay?).

And then the PCs tried to sneak into the palace at the center of the city but sneaking up on Antedeluvians (the thirteen very ancient vampires who founded the vampire clans) is very hard and as soon as we entered the four seated there rose to confront us. From their appearances we gather that they are the founders of the Brujah, the Toreadors, the Ventrue, and the Gangrels.

But the day was late and so the adventure is to be continued ...

And now I find out if there is a limit to the number of posts one can quote. The GM requested I port over this little conversation too.

(Note after quoting: Well, if there is a limit, it is more than fifteen.)

On 1/4/2018 at 4:27 PM, Pingo said:

I am oddly tickled that my GM, having read a hitherto-obscure sourcebook, has discovered some interesting things that have been retconned into my PC's background because they fit ridiculously well owing to some pure coincidences.

On 1/4/2018 at 4:55 PM, Mad Jack said:

I love it when that sort of stuff happens... Little "convergences" like that make me feel connected to the larger universe, like I'm a part of or have some insight into the bigger picture.

On 1/4/2018 at 4:59 PM, Pingo said:

You betcha. In my case it was partly because there are only so many known Phoenician given names and a lot of them share certain structural elements, partly because of my PC’s chosen profession, and partly because of the timing of things in her background.

I have a canon “uncle” now. :)

On 1/4/2018 at 5:57 PM, Xiwo Xerase said:

Which sourcebook?

On 1/4/2018 at 6:03 PM, Pingo said:

White Wolf, "Lair of the Hidden", 2nd ed.

It's technically an adventure, but it's the only info on the Inconnu my GM could find.

On 1/4/2018 at 6:13 PM, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

I could be wrong, but other than the occasional member, such as in the chicago chronicles, white wolf didn't really flesh them out all that much, or at least none of the books I've been able to track down go into detail on them.

On 1/4/2018 at 6:21 PM, Pingo said:

La la la I can't hear you!

(The GM has asked us to avoid sourcebooks & stuff except for ones we would specifically know about. I've read the Brujah clanbook and some others related to contacts or very close NPCs. But I'm supposed to keep hands off other ones.)

On 1/4/2018 at 6:29 PM, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

Ah the Brujah, the most mild mannered and temperate of clans. 

On 1/4/2018 at 6:41 PM, Pingo said:

It’s ... complicated.

(The game is a mash-up of the WoD and Exalted. Because of the extremely high power levels of Exalted we were allowed character backgrounds that would be way OP in a regular WoD game.

My character is (or rather was, since she is no longer a vampire) a very old-fashioned Brujah, more philosopher-king than common brawler.

Mostly.

She has issues.)

On 1/4/2018 at 6:56 PM, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

I was always rather fond of playing Malkavians. During on of our live action games a beer got spilled in the kitchen and as I was mopping up the justicar came bursting in hurling accusations of sabbat activity, breach of the masquerade,etc. So I calmly proceeded to draw and fire a squirt gun at him. Needless to say this ended as one might expect and I played the rest of the evening as a wraith. This led to a subplot of trying to wrest a spell from the local Giovanni so that I could be bound, interrogated and made to give up the other sabbat infliltrators. Once that happened the look on everyone's faces was priceless when I informed them that not only did my character not even know what the sabbat was, the entire "assassination attempt" on the justicar was merely revenge for his mucking up my freshly mopped floor. Of course while everyone was focused on me the actual sabbat agents were able to achive thier goals. All because someone's sleeve knocked over a beer.::):

On 1/4/2018 at 7:04 PM, Pingo said:

My character is a solar-aspect Exalted ex-vampire. If she lets her powers rip she just melts vampires. It’s rather awkward.

She has an extended vampire family, not all of whom are hostile. In particular, she has a brother she is very close to still in the household.

It is gloriously complicated.

On 1/4/2018 at 7:25 PM, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

I can see where this would be a goldmine of opportunity. Have you tried strongarming the hostile ones into bringing you a cookie? (extra points if actual out of game cookie) 

On 1/4/2018 at 7:35 PM, Pingo said:

At the moment I’m trying to keep all the idiots alive (well, undead).

If too many more people Exalt with sun-powers, someone is going to figure out they can melt through vampires like a blowtorch through ice cream. There are too many of them I care about to let that happen.

Just maybe, with the help of other Exalted friends, I might be able to do something about vampiric nature before that happens.

On 1/4/2018 at 8:14 PM, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Things are getting tough for adventurers when oozes start wearing armor.

Okay, this requires detailed explanation. My curiosity is piqued.

On 1/4/2018 at 9:58 PM, Pingo said:

Um, okay. But it’s a lot of character esoterica, so I’m spoilering it for length. (Edit: Spoiler removed for this thread)

Rokhsana is, or was, a vampire of the Brujah clan.

As a mortal she was a healer in twelfth century Baghdad, in Persia. Technically she was a doctor, since people could get certification for memorizing medical texts and women were allowed in the classes. The Medieval Middle East was (and this is true in the real world) a pretty advanced place.

She was made a vampire by an early-generation Brujah named Eshmunazar, a Phoenician warrior from Carthage who was well over a thousand years old at the time. She was his lastborn, much younger than his other offspring. He had been wounded by some mysterious holy weapon and Rokhsana was the nearest healer to hand. She genuinely tried to help him despite recognizing that there was something bonkers in the situation and he embraced her for her integrity (She tried to talk him out of it, which he found amusing). 

So anyway the GM was reading “Lair of the Hidden” in order to research the Inconnu and approached me one day recently with a somewhat odd look and asked me if the “Eshmun” in Eshmunazar meant anything and I said it was a Phoenician god and I thought it meant “The Eighth One” but I wasn’t sure. The GM told me that there was a character in the book called Eshmunamash who was a Phoenician Brujah and doctor-physician of the same or nearly the same generation as Rokhsana’s sire Eshmunazar. The GM said this Eshmunamash had a nurturing personality that was compatible with Rokhsana’s and that he had been seeking Golconda, the semi-mythic state of enlightened vampirism that allows vampires to feed less on people, something which Rokhsana the vampire had been also making motions towards recently (until her Exaltation short-circuited the process).

The coincidences were just too amusing. The GM decided to work Eshmunamash into Rokhsana’s background.

Rokhsana’s sire Eshmunazar was a bit of a jock, so the GM decided that he and Eshmunamash the gentle healer were brothers, both very old Carthaginian Brujah of the philosophical type.

(Which is kind of nice because Rokhsana hated being a vampire for the first few decades and having a kindly uncle to talk medical matters and history with would have made things a little less terrible, for a while.)

Rokhsana lost all contact with her sire around 1350, but the GM is implying that “Uncle Amash” at least is still around somehow. Probably in some awful pickle if I know the World of Darkness, but hey.

And that is how my PC got some actual canon grafted into her background.

Edited by Pingo

A conversation from the Getting to Know You January 2018 thread, sparked by the question “What hobbying did you accomplish this weekend?”

6 hours ago, Pingo said:

Played a game session with the crew. Worked some on the figures on my painting table. 

It felt like the painting was going slowly, but when I took a look at a photo I snapped I realized there were more than thirty ongoing figures (though to be fair some at the back were just primed, so closer to twenty-five active figures), That tends to slow down the rate to ... nothing ... nothing ... nothing ... AWholeBunchAllAtOnce.

Reveal hidden contents

DSC_0096-What-I-am-painting-right-now-2018-01-19.jpg.01764635197da9d208014fc3bb4def78.jpg

Also I read up some background material for one of the games.

(Does anyone know what the folks at White Wolf were thinking when they came up with so many odd and inapt technical terms for their games?)

4 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I'd be willing to bet they were drunk.

4 hours ago, Pingo said:

A: "Amaranth"

B: Dude, what?

A: "Amaranth" That's what we'll call, wossname, when vampires drink other vampire's blood and kill'em. "Amaranth".

B: Doesn't that mean, like, birdseed?

A: (Belch)

4 hours ago, TGP said:

This would explain why I would find a shelf full of WWolf source books at Half-Price-Books&Records. RPG books might get a two shelf section and White Wolf would soak up 67% of a shelf. 

4 hours ago, Pingo said:

Word was we ran out of disk space. It’s all better now.

The WoD seems to have been super popular in the 1990s but made some bad decisions after that that turned off a lot of players.

It has been helpful, though, for getting secondhand sourcebooks very inexpensively for our game.

2 hours ago, VitM said:

WoD was the game that unseated D&D as king of TTRPGs in the 90s.  It was dark and edgy (so 90s!) at a time when D&D was trying to distance itself from "satanic" elements and discouraging you from playing the monsters and anti-heroes that were coming into vogue at the time.  It was a game that seemed approachable and  that brought in a massive influx of new players to RPGs.  Specifically goth girls, especially once the vampire LARP became a thing.  Vampire got a lot of people laid.

Sure, WW made a lot of bad decisions regarding the quantity of shovelware products they produced, nWoD was a dumpster fire, and they got into a stupid slap-fight with The Camarilla (their world wide LARP fan club, which had it's own structural organization problems), but I think a lot of it was just the changing cultural zeitgeist combined with the fact that WoD isn't really a game you teach to or play with your kids--so there's little built-in generational nerdery.  A lot of people that grew up with the game in the 90s didn't want to keep squeezing into corsets or leather pants in their 30s and 40s. ::P:   

2 hours ago, Pingo said:

:blink:

Uhh ...

We're playing it with our kids ... :unsure:

Life's lessons. :blush:

1 hour ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I think the other problem WoD has is that it's fairly fragmented (Vampire, Werewolf, Changeling, etc) with each being at the throats of the others, and even more so the time commitment involved. 

Was a really fun world though, I'm saddened the group I was part of didn't get all that far, I wanted to see how long My Brujah could survive, what with wearing a suit the whole time... (what's more "rebellious"  than dressing the complete opposite if what "you're supposed to wear"? :p) 

1 hour ago, VitM said:

So, I'm coming at this primarily from a LARP angle, but I am genuinely curious what that game looks like.  I mean, I guess it could be Vampions style (dark themed superhero game) with enough contortions so that nobody has to go out and do terrible things, or can at least pretend they don't.  Sort of like how Angel was a "vampire with a soul" so he didn't have to murder random people for their blood on the regular.  Plus he was fighting demons, which are further along the badguy hierarchy. 

(This was in response to WhoteWulfe’s post):

30 minutes ago, Pingo said:

We used to tease that the seemingly insurmountable problems within the WoD universe would be solved if the members of any one group ever actually talked to the members of any other.

A slightly deeper problem is that the different games within the WoD have contradictory and mutually incompatible histories, mechanics and rules, usually handwaved over in the sourcebooks by claiming that the groups do not communicate or indeed encounter each other all that much.

The GM has a lot of experience inventing and finding the logic within game worlds, which helps. It also helps that this game folds in "Exalted" as the world's prehistory and what's really going on.

(This was in respinde to VitM’s post):

30 minutes ago, Pingo said:

I started a thread about the game some while back (a bit slow on updates, sorry). As mentioned, it incorporates "Exalted" as prehistory, though the world looks like the classic WoD (although without much of the "World's Gonna End Next Week" portents - we all hated what the canon did to the Ravnos, for example).

It is a little bit like a superhero game since the PCs are newly Exalted characters. And it's less dark than it might be since the power scale of the Exalted is so far beyond most of the WoD.

But the vampires are still baddies and still eat people. One of the PCs used to be a vampire and did some very bad things in the past. Not everybody's hands are clean.

It's the PCs' job to try to set the world to rights. Nobody said it would be simple.

Edit: And OMG, it is so much fun ...