Crowley

Free RPG day 6/17

54 posts in this topic

Friendly reminder that Saturday is Free RPG day! Go get your game on and get some free stuff!

http://www.freerpgday.com/

6 people like this

I'll be on the road for most of it.  Maybe I'll plot out some stops there and back and rake in the loot.  I'm only going to have one child with me and she games so she shouldn't mind.

9 people like this

About the only thing I look forward to is after frpg on Paizo they offer their offering for sale & for free (pdf). Now if I had a local flgs I'd be all over this!!

2 people like this

I like the commemorative dice. And the oneshot adventures and quickstarts that some companies offer are nice; I like to see what's going hot these days, as I am not as plugged in as I used to be.

I do find it kind of sad that it's been years since The World's Most Popular Role Playing Game (tm) has had anything to offer for Free RPG Day. Last thing I saw was a clear variant of one of the D&D Prepaint figures -- a ghost of some kind -- with the Free RPG Day stamp on the bottom. That was ... YEARS ago. Nowadays, Paizo still has Pathfinder stuff every year, but Hasbro's all "Meh, we're too big for that."

Y'wouldn't be if your predecessors hadn't spent a lot of time building that IP you treat so casually, guys... yer too big to recycle some art and pop out a little booklet or pamphlet with an adventure or some canon?

7 people like this

Posted (edited)

39 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

I like the commemorative dice. And the oneshot adventures and quickstarts that some companies offer are nice; I like to see what's going hot these days, as I am not as plugged in as I used to be.

I do find it kind of sad that it's been years since The World's Most Popular Role Playing Game (tm) has had anything to offer for Free RPG Day. Last thing I saw was a clear variant of one of the D&D Prepaint figures -- a ghost of some kind -- with the Free RPG Day stamp on the bottom. That was ... YEARS ago. Nowadays, Paizo still has Pathfinder stuff every year, but Hasbro's all "Meh, we're too big for that."

Y'wouldn't be if your predecessors hadn't spent a lot of time building that IP you treat so casually, guys... yer too big to recycle some art and pop out a little booklet or pamphlet with an adventure or some canon?

I had no idea D&D, er, Hasbro, didn't do anything for Free RPG Day. That's... I don't even know what to say. Glad I'm a GURPS enthusiast.

++EDIT++

After reading the above comment, namely the last sentence, it looks to me like I'm being elitist. I assure you that I'm not. As far as I know, Steve Jackson Games isn't doing much for 6/17/17. I could be blatantly wrong, though, as I usually am about this kind of stuff. I just wanted to type the last sentence above as a joke because the two "big companies" aren't doing anything. Carry on.

Edited by Mehman
Clarification
3 people like this

18 minutes ago, Mehman said:

I had no idea D&D, er, Hasbro, didn't do anything for Free RPG Day. That's... I don't even know what to say. Glad I'm a GURPS enthusiast.

++EDIT++

After reading the above comment, namely the last sentence, it looks to me like I'm being elitist. I assure you that I'm not. As far as I know, Steve Jackson Games isn't doing much for 6/17/17. I could be blatantly wrong, though, as I usually am about this kind of stuff. I just wanted to type the last sentence above as a joke because the two "big companies" aren't doing anything. Carry on.

I dunno that Steve Jackson Games has ever done anything for Free RPG day. Then again, they have all of one RPG product... GURPS... and they ARE technically a rather small outfit. Perhaps with narrow profit margins, judging from how in recent years, all they seem to do is new versions of the Munchkin card game. On the other hand, I have several promo Munchkin cards and packs; one would think they could toss in SOME durn thing.

On the third hand, SJG is not Big Monolithic Toy Company That Owns The World's Most Popular RPG, either. Hell, how much would it cost to throw in a handful of cards with a website and promo code for some exclusive downloadable content?

4 people like this

25 minutes ago, Mehman said:

I just wanted to type the last sentence above as a joke because the two "big companies" aren't doing anything. Carry on.

Yeah, neither White Wolf nor WotC are doing anything.

3 people like this

I'll be too busy with my new space marines to bother with rpg stuff.

5 people like this

My FLGS is doing both the Warhammer unveiling or some such and Free RPG day. I certainly hope to be able to stop by (I'm on call this weekend).

3 people like this

I was going to stop by my FLGS tomorrow, but now I might wait a day and go sat.

5 people like this

I plan on hitting several stores in the Denver area. Not enough of them participate.

3 people like this

Total Escape does, and we'll be painting from 10:30.

Maybe we'll see you.

6 people like this

Mine does, and I'll be down there Saturday, painting or playing games. Whatever. ^^;

2 people like this

According to the website there is not a single participating FLGS in the entire state of New Mexico. bummer.

buckyball

5 hours ago, Silvervane said:

I was going to stop by my FLGS tomorrow, but now I might wait a day and go sat.

That's funny as I was planning to visit my FLGS on Saturday to pick up a couple of things but now I think I'll go tomorrow so I don't have to deal with the crowds.

2 people like this