Crowley

Free RPG day 6/17

54 posts in this topic

I might go. Maybe. 

1 person likes this

20 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

I plan on hitting several stores in the Denver area. Not enough of them participate.

Well, more do this year than did last year - I think Denver Comic Con kind of squashed the event a bit.  I'm planning on going by Wizard's Chest first thing in the morning with my daughter - they've got plenty of toys for Rose to browse through while I'm checking out what's free.

2 people like this

So, I just got back from running a few errands (including swinging by the local game store) and I got a few things.

Dungeon Crawl Classics intro/quick start thingy

and a couple dice.

Now, maybe I'm just a grumpy old man (quite possible), but I seem to remember the last time I was able to make it to one of these things, you could grab one of everything if you wanted to.

When did they institute this 'X number of items per person' chintziness?

3 people like this

Tried to go take a look today, but between this and the new 40k launch there was no place to park anywhere near the store. so maybe I'll look through any left overs next week.

2 people like this

39 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Now, maybe I'm just a grumpy old man (quite possible), but I seem to remember the last time I was able to make it to one of these things, you could grab one of everything if you wanted to.

When did they institute this 'X number of items per person' chintziness?

Well, keep in mind the stores have to pay for the free items they give away, so it's in their interest to spread the love around and attract as many customers as you can.  IIRC, Total Escape Games had a policy where you could pick one item for free, but for every X dollars more you spent you could take another free item.  Sadly, Wizard's Chest only was giving out one item, but I still picked up a card game (Loonacy) and my daughter got a plastic tiara, unicorn wand, and a plastic... thingy.

6 people like this

Also remember too, certain companies will have more of each item to offer. I think there is one item in the frpg box that is just 1. I wanna say last year Reaper had some Bones that were 1 per box.

If you're hard up on the items they do show up on ebay & online afterwards.

4 people like this

I got a pretty decent haul:

20170617_124121.thumb.jpg.f33dc8e2fac5015aee7da95331e22bca.jpg

Not pictured - clear d8 that was free and the set of toxic green and yellow dice that I bought.

8 people like this

On 6/15/2017 at 2:41 PM, Mehman said:

I had no idea D&D, er, Hasbro, didn't do anything for Free RPG Day. That's... I don't even know what to say. Glad I'm a GURPS enthusiast.

++EDIT++

After reading the above comment, namely the last sentence, it looks to me like I'm being elitist. I assure you that I'm not. As far as I know, Steve Jackson Games isn't doing much for 6/17/17. I could be blatantly wrong, though, as I usually am about this kind of stuff. I just wanted to type the last sentence above as a joke because the two "big companies" aren't doing anything. Carry on.

Steve Jackson Games has done Free RPG day stuff in the past. I think there may have been gurps stuff in past year but I'n not certain, but there was a munchkin bookmark last year. I believe Noble night still has a few.

Question: aren't all the boxes supposed to have all the same things in them? There were two stores we went to and we were there either right when they opened or fairly soon after and I didn't see any of the Blue Panther dice cups or the Wyrd miniatures minis that were supposed to be in there. I mostly wanted the die and the Starfinder book anyway.

For the record one store had would let you take whatever you wanted as long as you would use it. The other had a "one item only" policy because they had had too many people in past years just try to take everything so people who couldn't get there right away got nothing.

3 people like this

1 hour ago, Talae said:

I got a pretty decent haul:

20170617_124121.thumb.jpg.f33dc8e2fac5015aee7da95331e22bca.jpg

Not pictured - clear d8 that was free and the set of toxic green and yellow dice that I bought.

Where you the only one that showed up? LOL

5 people like this

I went over to our FLGS -- Rainy Day Games in Aloha -- this morning, three kids in tow.  They have a "one-per-person" rule also, and have had for several years now, but have always allowed the kids to each take one item.  I picked up the Timewatch/13th Age quickstart, my daughter picked up the Starfinder, because she's been starting to DM sessions over Discord, and the boys opted for a die each over a module when they saw that was an option.

I purchased up Reaper's 77299: Female Antipaladin... just because.  Rainy Day Games has become my primary source for Bones miniatures, mostly because they have a pretty good selection and keep it stocked.

4 people like this

Pain in the elf busy day at work...

Could not get to the store...:down:

1 person likes this

Hit five different stores today. Several places had a "1 item free" policy. Others allowed two or even three grabs, and one offered a free item and then you could pick another with a purchase.

Had to SCRAMBLE to get a commemorative six sider, but I was able to secure everything I wanted. Did not expect to be able to get all three of the Wyrd minis, but I got lucky....

3 people like this

2 hours ago, EvilJames said:

Question: aren't all the boxes supposed to have all the same things in them? There were two stores we went to and we were there either right when they opened or fairly soon after and I didn't see any of the Blue Panther dice cups or the Wyrd miniatures minis that were supposed to be in there. I mostly wanted the die and the Starfinder book anyway.

For the record one store had would let you take whatever you wanted as long as you would use it. The other had a "one item only" policy because they had had too many people in past years just try to take everything so people who couldn't get there right away got nothing.

I wouldn't be surprised if a store gave the employees working on Free RPG day first pick, honestly.  And some stores hide away items that they find objectionable, such as the "Vaginas are Magic" book for Lamentations of the Flame Princess.

1 person likes this

I managed to snag the Starfinder, DCC, and Vaginas are Magic books, so I'm thrilled. The store was doing a bunch of events, but I couldn't stay since my bride and I were checking out some apartments. However, I did chat with the employees (who were much more busy with 40K 8e than they were with Free RPG Day) and they'd LOVE for me to go DM for them. 

2 people like this

40k definitely overshadowed Free RPG Day.

2 people like this