David Brawley

Free RPG day 6/17

54 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, David Brawley said:

I managed to snag the Starfinder, DCC, and Vaginas are Magic books, so I'm thrilled. The store was doing a bunch of events, but I couldn't stay since my bride and I were checking out some apartments. However, I did chat with the employees (who were much more busy with 40K 8e than they were with Free RPG Day) and they'd LOVE for me to go DM for them. 

Which one????

The Strat?

Posted (edited)

FreeRPG2017.jpg.372dd7f0fe7d6525148105bf7b7077a1.jpg The first place I went, I had to scramble for the commemorative die. There were only three, and they were in DEMAND. That, and this is the first year I've ever gone out on Free RPG Day and found myself in competition with others. People were out EARLY today. And in force.

Second place I went, they let people have two items each, and a half hour after opening, they had very little left.

Third place I went, it was one item... two if you bought something, and spent a certain amount.

Fourth place? Take any three items, we're cool. But the commemorative dice and one of a kind items are off the table; we save those as premiums for our DMs.

Fifth and last place: You vill take VUN item, NO more! And ve vill LOOK at you funny unlezz you BUY somesink!

Nevertheless, I feel like I made out okay:
FreeRPG2017b.thumb.jpg.9165efa762287f336039ddd7644c610b.jpg

Thing is... I dunno. Had it drilled into me as a youth that when one takes advantage of a freebie promo, then it's only polite to make a small purchase. And so HERE's all the stuff I BOUGHT in order to not feel bad about taking FREE stuff:

FreeRPG2017c.thumb.jpg.deb5c9316aae989a50b2ffe6d729e56a.jpg

Admittedly, it was all on clearance...

John Fiala, now that I think about it, I think I SAW you...

Doug Sundseth, I have no idea if I saw YOU or not; Total Escape does NOT have a whole lot of parking, and I had to run in and run out, while Dances With Mouselings was circling the store...

And near as I could tell, all the boxes at all the stores DID have identical contents; I felt quite lucky to be able to snag all three of the Wyrd minis, even though I had to go to three different stores to do it. But I never did see the dice cup out for grabs, even though one place was giving away the T shirt. And the ONLY place that I saw the commemorative dice, the first three people at the table snagged 'em. I'm, again, lucky the second one was me.

Used to be, I'd show up early and the store people would be like, "Oh, yeah, free RPG day... Arthur, go get the box out of the back!" and, all alone, I would pick through the mysteries.

More fun with Berni along. :wub:

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
5 people like this

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Talae said:

40k definitely overshadowed Free RPG Day.

I only saw mentions of 40K for today on the local FLGSs' Facebook pages. And I'm not really a Warhammer fan. ::(:

Edited by Cranky Dog

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

When did they institute this 'X number of items per person' chintziness?

Probably so you don't have what happened to us: literally EVERYTHING was gone within 10 minutes of our FLGS store opening. ::(:

The lady behind the counter we spoke to was shocked as well, especially since for Free Comic Book Day, the free items lasted pretty much all day. She did say that they got way less stuff for RPG day than they did for Comic Book day, though, so that was a factor. Likely also a factor was that theirs was the one and only FLGS in our entire area that was participating.

Ah well. It's not like we NEED more stuff, but MrBoot was really hoping to get one of the Syrinscape things, and I was hoping for a die (or a second Syrinscape thing, so then MrBoot could have two). Maybe next year. *shrug*

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Edited by OneBoot
forgot a word

One of my good friends convinced me to go out, one of our local stores (more local to me than him) was haven multiple demos and events.  I was leery, as the last time I went in they really were not all that friendly.  Totally different experience today.  They were friendly and I played a 2-hour demo of Dragon Age.  It was fun, and something I haven't played before.  Between that, my Shadow of the Demon Lord campaign and having lunch with one of my best friends, I'm pretty darn pleased with my day.  And I was lucky enough to get the commemorative die. 

4 people like this

1 hour ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Doug Sundseth, I have no idea if I saw YOU or not; Total Escape does NOT have a whole lot of parking, and I had to run in and run out, while Dances With Mouselings was circling the store...

Did you come by around lunch time? If so, we were probably nearly all next door at the Greek place. (Yumm!)

Sorry to have missed you.

3 people like this

I ended up - because my FLGS was doing the 'you can has two! Only two!' thing - my two, and Mr. Thorne's two, because he couldn't make it. >.>

I nobbled the Starfinder thing (Goblins! In space! AAAAAAAGH!), the Vaginas are Magic! book, TORG! and Conan. When you have to pick ..

I sat and painted and generally attempted to be helpful and stuff. There was gaming (Numenera, D&D, probably other stuff), and a fair amount going on. It was a good day.

2 people like this

2 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

FreeRPG2017.jpg.372dd7f0fe7d6525148105bf7b7077a1.jpg The first place I went, I had to scramble for the commemorative die. There were only three, and they were in DEMAND. That, and this is the first year I've ever gone out on Free RPG Day and found myself in competition with others. People were out EARLY today. And in force.

Second place I went, they let people have two items each, and a half hour after opening, they had very little left.

Third place I went, it was one item... two if you bought something, and spent a certain amount.

Fourth place? Take any three items, we're cool. But the commemorative dice and one of a kind items are off the table; we save those as premiums for our DMs.

Fifth and last place: You vill take VUN item, NO more! And ve vill LOOK at you funny unlezz you BUY somesink!

Nevertheless, I feel like I made out okay:
FreeRPG2017b.thumb.jpg.9165efa762287f336039ddd7644c610b.jpg

Thing is... I dunno. Had it drilled into me as a youth that when one takes advantage of a freebie promo, then it's only polite to make a small purchase. And so HERE's all the stuff I BOUGHT in order to not feel bad about taking FREE stuff:

FreeRPG2017c.thumb.jpg.deb5c9316aae989a50b2ffe6d729e56a.jpg

Admittedly, it was all on clearance...

John Fiala, now that I think about it, I think I SAW you...

And near as I could tell, all the boxes at all the stores DID have identical contents; I felt quite lucky to be able to snag all three of the Wyrd minis, even though I had to go to three different stores to do it. But I never did see the dice cup out for grabs, even though one place was giving away the T shirt. And the ONLY place that I saw the commemorative dice, the first three people at the table snagged 'em. I'm, again, lucky the second one was me.

Used to be, I'd show up early and the store people would be like, "Oh, yeah, free RPG day... Arthur, go get the box out of the back!" and, all alone, I would pick through the mysteries.

More fun with Berni along. :wub:

Oooh crushed. Good choice.

2 people like this

For various reasons I got out a little late in the day, so at my FLGS there must have been quite a few people.  They did have the 1 per person sign out, but all the Starfinder and Conan books had been taken;  I could have had Numenera, but I ended up with a copy of Troll Lord's Borderhounds thing.  I ended up buying a Goodman Games book called "How to Write Adventure Modules That Don't Suck", off the "new stuff" rack, about which I knew nothing in advance.

1 person likes this

13 hours ago, Talae said:

40k definitely overshadowed Free RPG Day.

Yes, it seemed that way at the store i went to; they had one of those cardboard cutouts of a space marine standing outside the store as well as stuff in the windows. It wasn't until one actually got inside the store that there was any mention of Free RPG day.

1 person likes this

I think it's a great concept but it's sad how many stores don't participate in marketing their own business.  And if the store is out of give-aways soon after opening, disappointing many customers the rest of the day, then there is a flaw in the distribution system.  I would be interested in seeing more online and downloadable options, maybe with a code you could only get at the flgs. 

I did not go by our local stores.  They are half an hour down the highway in opposite directions and neither participated last year.  They were in the list of stores, and we wasted a lot of time driving around for nothing. 

1 person likes this

Well, if you saw me telling a 5 year old girl on a scooter to not run into people, that was me.  My daughter was scooting around the basement level of the Wizard's Chest while I was browsing.  I only went to the one store, because chasing promos across a bunch of different stores is a pain, plus, my kid just came home from exile in North Carolina, and so I wanted to spend more time with her than other things.

Parenting.

I keep thinking if I won a ton of money I'd want to open up my own game store.  I think it could be fun, if I didn't have to worry too much about making a profit. :)

3 people like this

I think they could do better to organize games. Free RPG Day would be a perfect day to encourage your customers to come and demo games. Reward those people wifh something. If cost is the issue, then reward them with something like a place on the wall of people that demo stuff, or an extra raffle ticket and raffle off a few items.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Inarah said:

I think it's a great concept but it's sad how many stores don't participate in marketing their own business.  And if the store is out of give-aways soon after opening, disappointing many customers the rest of the day, then there is a flaw in the distribution system.  I would be interested in seeing more online and downloadable options, maybe with a code you could only get at the flgs. 

From talking to the people at Total Escape, this year there was notably more response than in previous years. (Single data point, so not all that valuable, but there you go.)

There's a cost to the Free RPG packs, but it's my understanding that a store can buy as many as they like. But like anything else, matching supply to demand in advance is a bit tricky.

I think the freestuff thing only really works if you can carry the stuff home when you're done. But I absolutely agree that the best way for a store to capitalize on a giveaway would be to make it an event that actually uses some of that stuff in demos. That would almost certainly increase the chance of further sales to the bargain hunters. And you really want to push the popular stuff. E.g.: If you were to get a couple of decent GMs to run Pathfinder/Starfinder goblin adventure throughout the day, I suspect you'd get much more in increased business than if you just put the freebies on a table. But that's really hard to organize for most stores.

3 people like this

2 hours ago, John Fiala said:

Well, if you saw me telling a 5 year old girl on a scooter to not run into people, that was me.  My daughter was scooting around the basement level of the Wizard's Chest while I was browsing.  I only went to the one store, because chasing promos across a bunch of different stores is a pain, plus, my kid just came home from exile in North Carolina, and so I wanted to spend more time with her than other things.

Parenting.

I keep thinking if I won a ton of money I'd want to open up my own game store.  I think it could be fun, if I didn't have to worry too much about making a profit. :)

Mmmyes, I did recall seeing a fellow who looked like your profile picture trying to keep track of what was going on around him AND verbally wrangle a rather excited five year old, who seemed to have that knack they have of being in multiple places at once... while we were all waiting for the clerks to dig out the box and lay out the goodies.

45 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

From talking to the people at Total Escape, this year there was notably more response than in previous years. (Single data point, so not all that valuable, but there you go.)

There's a cost to the Free RPG packs, but it's my understanding that a store can buy as many as they like. But like anything else, matching supply to demand in advance is a bit tricky.

I think the freestuff thing only really works if you can carry the stuff home when you're done. But I absolutely agree that the best way for a store to capitalize on a giveaway would be to make it an event that actually uses some of that stuff in demos. That would almost certainly increase the chance of further sales to the bargain hunters. And you really want to push the popular stuff. E.g.: If you were to get a couple of decent GMs to run Pathfinder/Starfinder goblin adventure throughout the day, I suspect you'd get much more in increased business than if you just put the freebies on a table. But that's really hard to organize for most stores.

I was there a little after eleven; place was jammed with people chatting, but I was lucky to get the last Runequest booklet. And yes, the Greek place next door is fantastic; we always eat there when we're in the neighborhood.

Seems to me there were plenty of people there LAST year... but then again, I was there last year, and there was still plenty of loot when I arrived. THIS year, it looked piranhafied.

I believe Crit Castle ordered two Free RPG Day packages; they had a double set of the Wyrd minis, and more dice than they knew what to do with.

And I agree that demo packs would be a neat touch; I thought that's what the Wyrd folks were doing, as they had a freebie adventure/Quickstart, AND three minis per box... but after a brief perusal, the minis didn't seem to have anything to do with the adventure. Although they were well suited to my Bones Graveyard...

1 person likes this