David Brawley

Free RPG day 6/17

54 posts in this topic

My store didn't have minis.

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

My store didn't have minis.

Not surprising; each box had only three. Like I said, I was amazed I was able to get all three... and a bit unsettled that the commemorative six siders went so durn fast. I don't have a die for EVERY Free RPG Day, but I do have several, and it's a bit rattlesome to realize there are others out there who feel the same way I do. Either that, or the things go for money on eBay.

I have noted that some stores simply keep and stash the rarer items; Black and Read confiscates anything that's one to a box. Dunno what they do with them, but last year's dice tower is still hanging on the end of the dice case, priced at $14.95.

The Malifaux minis were the same at each place, and were the Malifaux Child, the Graveyard Spirit, and Beta Noire; the latter two were in translucent plastic. I normally HATE their styrene minis, as they're essentially little model kits, with as many as eight or nine pieces per mini... but these were amazing once I got them assembled!

4 people like this

4 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Mmmyes, I did recall seeing a fellow who looked like your profile picture trying to keep track of what was going on around him AND verbally wrangle a rather excited five year old, who seemed to have that knack they have of being in multiple places at once... while we were all waiting for the clerks to dig out the box and lay out the goodies.

Yes, that would have been me, alright.  She loves to come to wizard's chest with Daddy because there's lots of stuff she enjoys in addition to the games Daddy likes.  (And we're working on getting her into gaming as well.)

2 people like this

2 hours ago, John Fiala said:

Yes, that would have been me, alright.  She loves to come to wizard's chest with Daddy because there's lots of stuff she enjoys in addition to the games Daddy likes.  (And we're working on getting her into gaming as well.)

Mmmyes, she did have that "unleashed in Disneyland" look to her.

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Mmmyes, she did have that "unleashed in Disneyland" look to her.

Well, she'd been in North Carolina since March or so...

It's great to have her home.

I have finished reading the Lamentations Of The Flame Princess supplement given away for Free RPG day. Hardback, no less. It's a new magic system, with spells, for the LOTFP game.

It is not the WEIRDEST thing I have ever read in gaming, but it's in the top ten. Adults only, indeed.

2 people like this

41 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

I have finished reading the Lamentations Of The Flame Princess supplement given away for Free RPG day. Hardback, no less. It's a new magic system, with spells, for the LOTFP game.

It is not the WEIRDEST thing I have ever read in gaming, but it's in the top ten. Adults only, indeed.

The fact that the spells are based off the names of metal band songs is humorous. 

3 people like this

9 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

LotFP constantly has some of the best releases for RPGs, but yeah, tends to be weirder and more adult (ish) appropriate. On the other hand, I don't know that it's any weirder or nsfw than the stuff I was coming up with when I was in my horny early teens.

8 hours ago, Talae said:

The fact that the spells are based off the names of metal band songs is humorous. 

Plus the list in the back with unused songs for you to use? Love it...

On 6/17/2017 at 8:29 PM, knarthex said:

Which one????

The Strat?

Yes!!  Sort of...

The Brooklyn Strategist! 

1 person likes this

I came about 20 minutes to my store's, and I missed out on everything that interested me.  I don't know if they got less this year or it was more popular, but every other year, I got stuff late in the day.