Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheAuldGrump

Paranormal Romance Gaming [No Megans!]

35 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Last night, at Old Neighborhood Buffet, I ran the first session of a Paranormal Romance game set at the tail end of WWII.

This is the third time I have used this setting, each time advancing the year - the first was set in Berlin between the Wars, the second was a complete and unapologetic rip off of TSR's Ravenloft - with the villain being Strahd von Tzarovitch, a follower of Ungern-Sternberg that switched his allegiance to Germany and the Nazi party after the fall of Tzarist Russia.

During that campaign, one of the PCs got a Dear John letter from his fiance in Boston - and was killed by Strahd before he could reply, never coming home.

The new campaign is in Boston - and one of the PCs is that fiance, who has just inherited the late occult detective's business. (The breakup was because she did not believe in such foolishness.)

The dinner took place in game, as the agency met with Boston attorney Robert (pronounced Roe - Bare) Bonami....

The late detective had also set aside the funds to pay the other three characters for a period of two years, and the lawyer also brought a letter of introduction to a Texas oilman that had just purchased a haunted brownstone in Boston.

Said Texan does not want the ghost removed - he bought the place because it was haunted.

The Texan's name is Bob Goodfriend - and so far, I think Megan is the only one to pick up on the trick with the names....

Then we got interrupted by four older Japanese tourists - who all play Dungeons & Dragons. The game went on hold for the night, but we all had a very nice conversation. (Though Megan tells me that it was my Weirdness Magnet again. ::P: )

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
15 people like this

Not everyone speaks french.

Have the Japanese fans made any mention of Reggae Armor?

In one of my games I had a character named John Clayborne who was a golem.

8 people like this

I love a good Paranormal Romance novel but gaming in the genre never crossed my mind. I think it's brilliant ^_^!

Bob Goodfriend = Robin Goodfellow?

The only reason I make that reference is actually the Wizard books by Christopher Stasheff.

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, BlazingTornado said:

Not everyone speaks french.

Have the Japanese fans made any mention of Reggae Armor?

Heh - neither does Megan. ::P:

Just added a No Megans to the header, I am going to be mentioning a bit of plot....

Bonami and Goodfriend are the same... creature... and is going to be using his multiple personae to woo the woman that has just inherited the agency. Those personae will be going so far as to develop apparent rivalries, as he tries to learn exactly what the character is looking for in a beau.

If the PCs go digging, it will quickly become evident that when the detective was killed in action, he was dead broke - everything in the agency would have been sold to cover his debts - and the will itself did not exist until after he died.

And Goodfriend/Bonami really was his good friend, just not... entirely human. And much, much older than he appears. A merry wanderer of the night. The detective died while still being owed a debt by this creature - who is bound and determined to pay that debt.

The trick with the names will be repeated - the creature is unable to lie, but is very good at avoiding the truth.

The Auld Grump - the wooing may not go as planned - Jenny suspects that Bonami might be a vampire.... (He isn't... but he really does not like broad daylight, either... but the real clue is that he has a strange aversion to iron....)

*EDIT* For that matter - Megan's character is not entirely human, either - being short, very good with both machinery and metal work... and with the ability to create enchanted items. How the character feels about being dragged into this by a creature from a completely different mythology... is entirely up to Megan. ::):

Edited by TheAuldGrump
3 people like this

And, yes, by Merry Wanderer of the Night, I am referring to Robin Goodfellow - one of his other personae will have Pook Hill as his address.

Anyone who is wondering if I am stealing this version of Robin Goodfellow from the TV series Gargoyles?

Yes.

Yes, I am. (I loved that show.)

But if anyone thinks that I am going to be soft on the PCs, just because this is romance....

The Auld Grump

3 people like this

Hmmm, I almost like Megan's take on what is going on with Bonami and Goodfriend more than what I have planned.... (I was focusing more on romance, or at least my poor attempt thereat.)

I might have to add another fae into  the mix, perhaps with a name like Christopher (or Lee) Summerisle, just to freak Megan a bit. There is no reason not to use my plotline and what Megan came up with at the same time. ::):

So far, Jenny seems to like Goodfriend more than Bonami - which is kind of the opposite to what I had expected. I expected his boisterous nature and casual sexism to make Bonami seem a better choice. (She still kind of thinks that Bonami might be a vampire....) Instead, she is plotting a bit with Goodfriend - who calls her 'Little Lady' in a booming voice - to keep an eye on the smarmy and patently manipulative Bonami.

And yes, the haunted house really is going to be haunted - since Jenny's character is supposed to disbelieve in the supernatural at this point.

The Auld Grump

3 people like this

As soon as the other players get here, they will be meeting another potential love interest - this time for Megan's character...

Let me introduce myself,

I'm a man of wealth, and taste....

He is salvageable, but what he is really interested in at first is The Tithe.... And Megan's character is technically fae....

The Auld Grump - the second option is nastier - she can give up a mortal's soul in her place.... The third option is harder - and would involve redeeming a truly evil potential love interest.... The fourth is banishing him from this realm, which seems the most likely to me.

They have finished the first part of the haunted brownstone.

As for the Mephisto plotline.... I have never seen a plot fall apart that quickly, and that beautifully, before... he did his introduction, and my good lady's character reached into her purse....

Remember how Jenny was convinced that Bonami was a vampire?

Because of that all the characters were carrying holy water....

So, Megan tried to banish him, which did not drive him out, but did tear away his disguise, which left him seven feet tall, with long horns, barbed tail, mustache and goatee... and deep red.

'You dare! You dare to cast me out! You owe a tithe, dear lady, and that tithe has come due... whether you, your father, or one you love, I will have a soul for your family's freedom'....

The upshot is that she has beaten him once - if she can beat him two more times then her family will have won free from the Devil's Tithe.

So, need to create some new NPCs - I was not expecting the plot to be uncovered that quickly or that thoroughly.

She will need to call her father - who has already won free from the Tithe - being baptized, confirmed, and wed as a Catholic.

And this is the third time in a row that Mephisto has been beaten - three times three to make up nine - if she can beat him twice more, the Tithe is ended.

I would like to know how Megan picked up so quickly on the nature of her visitor....

The Auld Grump

5 people like this

Well, be fair. "Mephisto?" Srsly? I'd think he was the devil.

Also, the Please allow me to introduce myself line has rather permeated the culture by now.

Also, she kind of has reasons to be wary, yes?

Sounds like the holy water was just luck.

3 people like this

Oh, he did not introduce himself as Mephisto, nor with the 'Let me introduce myself'.... That line was limited to discussions upon the forum, not actual play. ::P:

Not just luck - they are all carrying holy water - which would have been completely useless against Bonami. (Nor would there be any need to use it on him - he is trying to woo, not coerce.)

Apparently, when I used the exact same Devil in a different scenario set in the exact same setting, I played him the exact same way.... strange how that works.... (In the Cabaret sequence for my Berlin Between the Wars scenario.... where he is an opportunist, not one of the ones driving the plot.)

Smiling, never looking her in the eye, but always coyly to one side... and very obviously satisfied with himself. (Based a bit on Mr. Sardonicus.) For him it is as much about the con as it is about achieving his goal.

New NPCs - the Monastery and Chapel of St. Dunstan on Watertown Massachusetts - one pries, and one smith, both potential love interests - but if Megan manages to lead the priest away, then he WILL be chosen by Mephisto as the Tithe.

For the record - the Devil's Tithe or Devil's Teind dates back at least to Tam Lin - and was an offering by the fairies to Hell to keep their freedom, paid every seven years.

Since her father was baptized, and accepted The White Christ Megan's character is being recognized by Mephisto as the leader of her tane. (Which consists of... her, at the moment. This will be the making or the breaking of her line.)

They have a bit of time before the tithe comes due - which is, by tradition, Hallowe'en.

The Auld Grump - I forbid ye maidens all,

As wear goud in your hair,

To come or go

By Carteraugh,

For young Tam Lin is there....

4 people like this

Ah Watertown, my old stomping grounds. Heh.

Have fun!

Working on tomorrow's game - listening to this -

The Auld Grump

1 person likes this

Oh, and Jenny shared one bit of info with Megan - when Mephisto left, fuming, after Megan's character tried to banish him?

As soon as the door was closed, he started smiling again.... (He likes complications....)

First minor difficulty with St. Dunstan's? Megan will find that she is unable to enter the chapel - there is a horseshoe mounted over the door, and nails driven into the sill.... Somebody has barred the fae from the church. (Her da would have no problem - though he is fae, he is also one of the congregation - he has been invited past that threshold.)

At this point, she is also the only spellcaster in the party, and is hiding that she can cast spells.

The Auld Grump -I still have no real idea what he is going to be doing with the remaining two characters in the party. I already knew both Megan and Jenny, which made it easy. So, I am thinking... The Ghost & Mrs Muir for Annie's character, maybe? Which will tie in with the second part of the brownstone.

1 person likes this