Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheAuldGrump

Paranormal Romance Gaming [No Megans!]

33 posts in this topic

Annie is in her sixties - and this is her first RPG. ::):

The Auld Grump

2 people like this

Advanced the Mephisto plot - Megan's character has met with the smith and priest at St. Dunstan's, and found that she cannot enter the church or sanctuary - in spite of normally being able to handle iron with no problems.

The smith is the largest dwarf that the character has ever met - almost six feet tall, but proportioned like the other Folk of the Hill.

On Beacon Hill Annie's character has met with the other ghost in the brownstone, but does not realize, yet, that he is a ghost.

Meanwhile, in Boston, Jenny's character has met Carol Enterling - a young woman that was the ward of a wealthy business man, and then, in a bit of scandal, married him. He in his late forties, she in her late teens.

There are rumors that she is having an affair with the tutor that her husband and former guardian hired to continue her 'education'.

Jenny's character doe not have the connections with Boston's supernatural community to know the rest of the background - that the young woman was not only the businessman's ward, but also his apprentice in the arts of magic.

And that when their relationship began to become more personal, he handed her magical education off to another master - since doing otherwise would have been improper.

There is in fact a good less to be scandalized than might be expected - they fell in love, but did nothing about it until the wedding bells rang.

The tutor has, in fact, made advances - and when he does so one time too many, the good Mrs. Enterling is going to do something... memorable about it. She and her husband still love each other - though, in fact, his age is closer to a hundred than it is to fifty. (She wouldn't have minded doing something about their relationship before the wedding, but Mr. Enterling is of the opinion that traditions exist for a reason.)

Megan's character has some of this background - the difference between Knowledge [Local] and Knowledge [Arcana].

In short - I am giving Jenny a puzzle with some pieces that are in Megan's hands. ::):

She came upon Mrs. Enterling during an attempted robbery - and for the first time has seen magic in use - as Carol froze the robbers in place with a word and a gesture. (One of the possible roles that the Enterlings can serve in this story is teaching Jenny's character some magic. It is also possible that Jenny will try to rescue the far too young Mrs. Enterling from the clutches of the far too old Mr. Enterling - hilarity ensues.)

The Auld Grump

Ah, yes... forgot to mention the other role that the Enterlings are going to serve in the scenario - I am afraid that Mr. Enterling is found murdered - by a method remarkably similar* to the non-lethal attack that Mrs. Enterling uses to dissuade her tutor....

Two people will try to hire the PCs to investigate the matter - the first is the tutor - who paints Mr. Enterling in a most unflattering light, and Mrs. Enterling as mentally fragile, if not unstable.

The other is an instructor at BU - who teaches Theology and is also Mrs. Enterling's teacher in the magical arts.

Mr. and Mrs. Enterling are not merely lovers or husband and wife - they are partners - and Mr. Enterling fully expected Mrs. Enterling to stop aging at about the same age that he did. He did not expect to fall in love with his ward and apprentice, and is happier than he has ever been in his life, but it is their partnership that he values above all else - he is looking forward to an entire lifetime of happy arguments.

I may leave a slim chance for the PCs to prevent Mr. Enterling's murder.

The Auld Grump

*Similar, not identical - the flash that Mrs. Enterling uses to discourage the tutor is magical in nature - the attack on Mr. Enterling is chemical in nature.

15 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Ah, yes... forgot to mention the other role that the Enterlings are going to serve in the scenario - I am afraid that Mr. Enterling is found murdered - by a method remarkably similar* to the non-lethal attack that Mrs. Enterling uses to dissuade her tutor....

Two people will try to hire the PCs to investigate the matter - the first is the tutor - who paints Mr. Enterling in a most unflattering light, and Mrs. Enterling as mentally fragile, if not unstable.

The other is an instructor at BU - who teaches Theology and is also Mrs. Enterling's teacher in the magical arts.

Mr. and Mrs. Enterling are not merely lovers or husband and wife - they are partners - and Mr. Enterling fully expected Mrs. Enterling to stop aging at about the same age that he did. He did not expect to fall in love with his ward and apprentice, and is happier than he has ever been in his life, but it is their partnership that he values above all else - he is looking forward to an entire lifetime of happy arguments.

I may leave a slim chance for the PCs to prevent Mr. Enterling's murder.

The Auld Grump

*Similar, not identical - the flash that Mrs. Enterling uses to discourage the tutor is magical in nature - the attack on Mr. Enterling is chemical in nature.

Well, I hope they prevent his murder.  ::(:

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Pingo said:

Well, I hope they prevent his murder.  ::(:

Always a problem when you like the victim.... (Which is why I am hoping to find a way to engineer his rescue... He is a nice old duffer.)

I am painting the actual murderer with broad strokes - the tutor did not take his rejection well.

Not being a wizard himself, he believes that what she did to stop his aggressively pressing his advances was flash powder - so he will use a similar mixture - with the addition of both magnesium and phosphorous - to murder poor old Mr. Enterling .

Given that Mrs. Enterling was indiscreet enough to use her magic in public, and given that the courts do not accept 'magic' as existing... it will be quite easy for him to pin this on her.

The professor from BU on the other hand is himself a wizard, and knows full well what Mrs. Enterling did. (While at the same time disparaging the very public display that she created. He is a Bostonian, after all!)

So it will be obvious to some that the wife did not commit the murder, but more difficult to prove her innocence.

So it will be necessary to prove that it was the Tutor, in the Drawing Room, with the White Phosphorous. (A fairly horrible way to die - I do not like the tutor at all, at all.)

The Auld Grump

2 people like this

Well, now two of the PCs have met Mr. Enterling, and discovered why you never ask a wizard about magic... It is like asking a philatelist about stamps....

He got about halfway through the discussion before realizing that Jenny's character does not believe in magic - so he interrupted himself with a demonstration.

Megan's character was quite happy not to need to be the one to explain that yes, Jenny's character's late ex-fiance was correct, and that he was a wizard as well. ('Why in the world did he let your relationship reach such a point without demonstrating what he was capable of?! Like THIS!')

And then telling her that she showed all the signs of being capable of working magic as well, given the proper training.

Still no idea of how to advance that plot past a certain point without murdering poor old Mr. Enterling.

The Auld Grump

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

On 6/30/2017 at 2:17 PM, Pingo said:

Well, be fair. "Mephisto?" Srsly? I'd think he was the devil.

Also, the Please allow me to introduce myself line has rather permeated the culture by now.

Also, she kind of has reasons to be wary, yes?

Sounds like the holy water was just luck.

Mind you, the name that I did give him was just as bad... if any of the players had ever seen Damn Yankees!... I went with Mr. Applegate. (I did steal the line 'I'm handy with fire'....)

For some reason, now I want to see the old version of Bedazzled, with Dudley Moore and Peter Cook - the remake missed the whole damned point of the movie.... (One of my favorite cinematic renditions of the Devil.)

The Auld Grump - in a long ago Changeling LARP I had an NPC by the name of Wormwood Applegate Spite - who, oddly enough, wasn't a devil.... But nobody got the joke, anyway....

Edited by TheAuldGrump
1 person likes this

16 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Mind you, the name that I did give him was just as bad... if any of the players had ever seen Damn Yankees!... I went with Mr. Applegate. (I did steal the line 'I'm handy with fire'....)

For some reason, now I want to see the old version of Bedazzled, with Dudley Moore and Peter Cook - the remake missed the whole damned point of the movie.... (One of my favorite cinematic renditions of the Devil.)

The Auld Grump - in a long ago Changeling LARP I had an NPC by the name of Wormwood Applegate Spite - who, oddly enough, wasn't a devil.... But nobody got the joke, anyway....

I always thought George Spiggott was a fantastic name for the devil.

"There was a time when I used to get lots of ideas. I thought up the Seven Deadly Sins in one afternoon. The only thing I've come up with recently is advertising."

"What terrible sins I have working for me. I suppose it's the wages."

"Julie Andrews!"

19 hours ago, Pingo said:

"There was a time when I used to get lots of ideas. I thought up the Seven Deadly Sins in one afternoon. The only thing I've come up with recently is advertising."

"Julie Andrews!"

Also one of the few versions where the devil seems to be enjoying himself.

Favorite scene - George Spiggott - Pretend I'm God, and now dance around me, singing my praises.

Stanley Moon *Dancing* - I'm getting tired. Can we switch places?

George - That's exactly how I felt!

So of course they cut that scene when they did the remake - along with half the damned (lit.) sins!

The Auld Grump

18 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Also one of the few versions where the devil seems to be enjoying himself.

Favorite scene - George Spiggott - Pretend I'm God, and now dance around me, singing my praises.

Stanley Moon *Dancing* - I'm getting tired. Can we switch places?

George - That's exactly how I felt!

So of course they cut that scene when they did the remake - along with half the damned (lit.) sins!

The Auld Grump

Well, I never saw the remake.  Never saw the point if it's not The Best of What's Left of Not Only ... But Also with Pete and Dud.

Came up with a way to keep Enterling alive - and it brings Bonami back into the story.  All through the magic of a minor retcon! ::):

Change his main goal from 'romancing the Jenny' to 'Bringing the Jenny to the Magic' - a change that requires no alterations to what has already happened! Huzzah! It also ties in more with why Jenny's character's late ex-fiance never told her about magic - he was a Fey Tradition mage - and part of his source of power was swearing an oath, which included not telling others of where to gain magic. Robert Bonami/Bob Goodfriend/Puck/Robin Goodfellow is bound by that same oath, since he is trying to fulfill his late friend's oath.

All I will do now is sprinkle some reasons not to trust the tutor, and let Jenny know that she might be able to convince Bonami to keep watch.

This would have been so much easier if Megan were the one playing the head of the agency! ::P:

The Auld Grump

1 person likes this

7 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Came up with a way to keep Enterling alive - and it brings Bonami back into the story.  All through the magic of a minor retcon! ::):

Change his main goal from 'romancing the Jenny' to 'Bringing the Jenny to the Magic' - a change that requires no alterations to what has already happened! Huzzah! It also ties in more with why Jenny's character's late ex-fiance never told her about magic - he was a Fey Tradition mage - and part of his source of power was swearing an oath, which included not telling others of where to gain magic. Robert Bonami/Bob Goodfriend/Puck/Robin Goodfellow is bound by that same oath, since he is trying to fulfill his late friend's oath.

All I will do now is sprinkle some reasons not to trust the tutor, and let Jenny know that she might be able to convince Bonami to keep watch.

This would have been so much easier if Megan were the one playing the head of the agency! ::P:

The Auld Grump

A most excellent GM duck and reweave!

Best kind - all the changes take place on the motivational level - it just changes why he is romancing the character, not how.

Going to be fun if the PCs ever have some form of True Seeing - without his glamour, he is about five feet tall, with a pot belly, covered in hair, has hooves, and curling ram's horns. A bladder at his belt on one side, and a wicker horn on the other.

Like a less crazy and drunken version of Pan, but with a beer belly.

The Auld Grump

1 person likes this

Realized that when Bonami is actually passionate about something, he is a much more likable character - He would like it if Jenny's character chooses him as her teacher and/or lover, but her finding magic is more important than how she discovers it, and which tradition she follows.

Carol went alone into the basement of the brownstone, to spend the night - then broke open a wall when she found a stain spreading across the whitewashed bricks.... She is currently unconscious, in about six inches of putrid water, having been attacked by something

Megan, Annie, and the smith were attacked on their way from Watertown to the agency's office - and the smith has now been arrested for killing one of their assailants. With a sword. That was kept concealed in a walking stick.... Cold forged, and hammer rough.

The smith's name is Weylandsen - and a descendant of Weyland smith of folklore.

St. Dunstan, likewise, was a patron of smiths. Weylandsen is a lay member, not ordained clergy, of St. Dunstan's.

Lamed by his father when he embraced the 'White Christ' - he is dark of skin, but very tall for a dwarf - six feet tall, yet bandy legged and barrel chested.

Weyland and his kin have never payed the Tien, but Weyland himself was far from being one of the good guys in the myths..

There is a reason so many smith gods of mythology are lame - smiths themselves were often lamed, having their hamstrings cut, to prevent them from running.

Neither, for that matter, has Pwcc - Puck, Robin Goodfellow - paid the Tien, casting himself loose from first Titania and then Oberon in turn, as they each paid the Devil his Tithe.

He takes bitter joy that neither Oberon nor Titania has been seen in centuries, but he still roams the woods and fields.

The Auld Grump - tricksters are bit aside from the rest of faerie stories and mythology - even the likes of Loki - 'I say to the gods, and the sons of the gods, the things that whet my thoughts. By the well of the world, there is none with the might to make me work his will!' - after the way the gods treated Loki, I cannot blame him for turning his hands against Odin and the rest.... (Sewing Loki's lips shut to keep him from screaming, while binding him beneath a serpent's venom....) Puck is also a trickster, and older than either Oberon or Titania....

Edited by TheAuldGrump
1 person likes this

On 7/16/2017 at 10:17 PM, Pingo said:

"Julie Andrews!"

I came this close to giving Mephistopheles an alternate identity named Georgio Spiggotti.... -] [-

I'm blaming you for that! ::P:

The Auld Grump - and if the PCs nicknaming him George Spaghetti means that they underestimate him.... (You know they would, I know they would, and George, he knows too....)

1 person likes this