Gadgetman!

Buildone 3D printer

The cheapest edition is $99, but I'd reccommend getting one with a heated printbed.

(You need it for some materials, and for others it helps with adhesion and warping)

As far as I can see, they've mostly cut the price by removing most of the frame. 

Whether that results in loss of accuracy as it wears over time is anyone's guess. 

With a 5x5x5" build volume it should be capable of printing 4x DragonLock, OpenForge or similar 2x2" tiles at the same time. 

• Like 1

Gotta run this by my principal and see if it can go on my classroom budget for next year since it delivers in the 2017-2018 school year. 

Hmmmm....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pineapple said:

Gotta run this by my principal and see if it can go on my classroom budget for next year since it delivers in the 2017-2018 school year. 

Hmmmm....

Don't forget that this is an 'electronics' type project. Odds are that it will be delayed. Or fail miserably... 

(Read; I wouldn't use other people'ss money on it)

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

Don't forget that this is an 'electronics' type project. Odds are that it will be delayed. Or fail miserably... 

I would agree with that assessment completely. 

I am in for this though as the entry point is nice. If it is a complete failure, I am not out much. If it delivers, it is a cheap cost to learn the nuances of 3d printing. 

I'm just going to pop in and say if you really want a 3d printer there are really high quality ones for less then $200 that are prebuilt and have better resolution and you can get it this week instead of waiting forever to arrive (lets be honest, there hasn't been a good 3d printer KSer yet). r/3dprinting keeps and updated list of best printers for the price and new people.

Monoprice Select Mini 3D Printer is my recondition. It regularly goes on sale for $150-$175. It's easy to use, has a warranty (if US).  I use the $300 version (larger print bed and faster speed but same resolution) and they're great for terrain and such.

• Like 3

Better resolution?

The BuildOne is claimed to have a 50micron layer height as best setting. 

The Monoprice Select Mini 3D I believe has 100micron. 

My Wanhao i3, (which is the same as Monoprice i3) doesn't do better than 100micron, either. 

Horisontal resolution is less important. 

And yeah, if you can afford the $300 - 350 for the full-sized one, it's worth it. 

(I recently learned that my usual supplier can now deliver 3Kg spools of filament... Yes, I print enough to justify buying those volumes)

• Like 1

I think that the real point here is you can do better right now and by the time this delivers tech will have advanced and prices will have dropped again.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

Yeah, great point. 

Edit: I was also talking about the laser with the tech teacher at our school.  That seems unrealistic for something like this.  Even if it did work reasonably well, there's no setup for containing the smoke, which would be a nightmare inside a space like a classroom.

As plenty have said, this technology is advancing all the time, so it's not like the company is revolutionizing things by trying to provide one for under $300.

Edited by Pineapple

According to the project blurb, you also need to buy the case if you want the LASER, and I assume it's somewhat airtight.

It shouldn't be all that difficult to add some sort of suction to it to remove the smoke.

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 5:09 PM, Heisler said:

I think that the real point here is you can do better right now and by the time this delivers tech will have advanced and prices will have dropped again.

This.  Been there, done that personally already with a kickstarted 3d printer.  What was a good 3d printer 2 years ago when I backed spec wise was trash when I got it delivered this year compared to others.   If you want one just buy one instead of waiting for a mythological one to appear on KSer that's what you've been waiting for price wise.  If you can afford $100 that arrives in 16+ months you can save up for a $200 one and get it way before the other one arrives.

Also even the one I have can print at 50 micron like this one but that doesn't mean you should (most can print about half as thin as advertised--just doesn't generally do a great job).  Even this 3d printer says you normally shouldn't print that small right after you say you can so it shows that they're not being really straight forward about it.  

With anything that's a complicated machine it's better to get something that's already out as opposed to what looks to be a deal on KSer as not only do 3d printers have a horrible track record as a KSer so do most things that aren't tabletop or art related so we tend to look at stuff via rose tinted glasses.  

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By SamuraiJack
      About
      Daughters of Twilight™ is the first expansion for The WitchBorn: Enter Perdition™. Get everything you need to lead your courageous Dark Elves into the blinding light of The WitchBorn® ravaged world above.
      Play Where Miniatures Meet Roleplaying
      The WitchBorn: Enter Perdition is the immersive campaign-based miniature skirmish game for 2-6 players. Each player creates a war clan of adventurers to explore the dangerous world of Perdition. Portray your warriors with detailed 28mm Reaper® Bones miniatures. Play campaign-style, where your warriors continually develop, find treasures, and level up between games—If they survive the WitchBorn of course.
      Enjoy Ever-Changing Tales 
      Instead of just a skirmish with friends every time, The Witchborn: Enter Perdition is different. Recover lost cargo in the WitchBorn infested plains, survive the bitter Will-o-Wisp of the Wandering Forest, or enter the derelict cathedral turned tavern, known as “The Pit.”  Your warriors’ discoveries, wounds, and horrible fumbles are handled by apps for Android or iOS which tell a unique story every time you play. There’s no need for anyone to sit out or be a Game Master.  
      For more on The Witchborn: Enter Perdition check out our previous Kickstarter. See why reviewer Robert Oren picked Enter Perdition as a Top 10 Game for 2017.
      Meet the Daughters

A Hidden Realm lays far beneath tortured Perdition, a honeycomb of twisting tunnels and deep caverns. For centuries, outcast Dark Elves toiled here without the touch of the sun.
      A spellcasting Morrigan leads your warriors. Then choose from stealthy Nightcloaks, deadly Vindicators, dual-bladed Deathcriers, meek Waywardens, and horrifying Soulweavers. Each Dark Elf starts with an unknown skill—until you create your war clan. And if you’re fortunate, some of your warriors may be Dark Fae like the feasting Black Annis, the nightmarish Bodach, slimy Gobelyn, enchanting Merrow, or one of many other possibilities.
      Daughters of Twilight expansion sets feature 8 Reaper® Bones miniatures. Each comes with a round base for you to assemble and paint in your own distinctive style. Many of the exclusive figures we’ve selected aren’t available anywhere yet—you’ll be among the first to own them. The awesome figures inset here are from a rendering and will replace a few of the figures depicted.
      Get Your Complete Guide to the Dark Elves
      Learn their shrouded history and the secrets of female-dominated enclaves. Recruit exotic Dark Fae like the carrion-eating Boggart, mimicking Fetch, or sinister Sluagh. Duel with sabers to dispatch dangerous foes, wield long-lost eldritch magick, and master the forgotten art of shaping living weapons and armor. Pierce armor with the Deadly Bodkin. Fire lethal hand crossbows. Lend your Dark Elves prestige with Signature Armor designed just for them. And train the Cait Sidhe and giant orb-weaver to fight alongside your warriors. 
      Guides also come with extras. Get the die-cut templates you’ll need as your Dark Elves adapt to harsh sunlight and cast unique magick. A “Dark Web” PDF roster is easy to customize. It tracks your warriors’ levels, skills, armor, weapons, poisons, loot, treasures, and Adamant—the glowing but unbreakable substance only your Artificer knows how to craft.
      Roll with “Deep Purple” Dice
      Sets come with three attack dice featuring The WitchBorn’s hit location system. A critical skewers a victim while an oops means your warrior fails miserably—sometimes with comical results. Add two D6 for rolling feats and injury outcomes and your Dark Elves will be styling.
      We Got Brom! 
      Acclaimed fantasy illustrator, Brom, painted the gorgeous wraparound cover Web of Charms.Pledge early to snare an autographed copy before they’re gone!  

• By Darsc Zacal
      For those looking for something a little different in character and style from the usual fantasy minis.

• By Gadgetman!
      One of my favorite authors have a new KS project...  
      Because there just ain't enough slice of life or baking in modern Sci-Fi books...

About
      Years ago I wrote a science fiction story about two forever-friends, unlike in almost every way--species, backgrounds, temperaments, orientations--and how they came together in a relationship that would last through every tribulation, including an intergalactic war. When readers asked me how they met, I wrote their college story. When readers asked me what happened next, I wrote how they began their xenotherapy practice. I'm still writing about them, in fact, because they are, bar none, my readers' best loved couple.
      Their names are Jahir and Vasiht'h, and they are dreamhealers.
      Some people call their story an asexual romance, but whether you go for that or prefer 'forever besties', these stories are about growing up, making choices, figuring out relationships, deciding on what your life means--or should--and baking. A lot of baking. They are cozy slice-of-life novels, and there aren't a lot of novels like them in science fiction. If cups of tea are your cup of tea, you might enjoy checking out Book 1 and 2 respectively. There's an e-book reward tier; you can choose one of them! This Kickstarter in particular is to fund the print edition for Book 3, Dreamhearth, and possibly Books 4 and 5, Dreamstorm and Family, if we hit our stretch goals.
      I love space ships and aliens and epic war sagas. But science fiction has room for quieter stories about what you want to be when you grow up, and the thorny personal challenges of day-to-day life. If you also love spaceships and aliens but want a moment's respite... you might have come to the right place.
      Stretch Goals
      We've got plenty to look forward to this time, including the opportunity for two more paperbacks!
      Bookmark 1. At $750, we'll get Jahir bookmarks! Every print backer will get one! Dreamstorm paperback. At $1000, we'll hit the Dreamstorm stretch goal, opening new tiers! Bookmark 2. At $1500, we'll get the Vasiht'h bookmarks! All print backers will get both bookmarks! Family paperback. At $2000, we'll do a print edition of the final book in the series, Family, opening Yet More Tiers! Risks and challenges
      As much as possible I've streamlined this one so it takes very little by way of work. I've gotten very good at packing and shipping things!
      I think the biggest risks are:
      1. I get hyper and start throwing in prizes and things that I shouldn't because I like running myself to ragged shreds doing stuff;
      2. I get too perfectionist about the things and fuss them to death over millimeter differences in whitespace only I am going to care about.
      I think I'll be able to handle #2 since I've done OVER NINE THOUSAND of these Kickstarters. It's #1 you all are going to have to help me with. Sit on me if I start gibbering about something that sounds impossible, please?
    • By Baphomet69
      This is for the supplement, but you can pick up the original book as well if you missed it like I did.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1155053944/the-fantastic-worlds-of-grenadier-supplement
    • By Knight of the Dinner Table

Backed one of their KS, very timely delivery, great miniatures.

all the way up to

• Who's Online   30 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)