Gadgetman!

Buildone 3D printer

The cheapest edition is $99, but I'd reccommend getting one with a heated printbed.

(You need it for some materials, and for others it helps with adhesion and warping)

As far as I can see, they've mostly cut the price by removing most of the frame. 

Whether that results in loss of accuracy as it wears over time is anyone's guess. 

With a 5x5x5" build volume it should be capable of printing 4x DragonLock, OpenForge or similar 2x2" tiles at the same time. 

• Like 1

So want a 3d printer but not quite ready to buy yet.

Gotta run this by my principal and see if it can go on my classroom budget for next year since it delivers in the 2017-2018 school year. 

Hmmmm....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pineapple said:

Gotta run this by my principal and see if it can go on my classroom budget for next year since it delivers in the 2017-2018 school year. 

Hmmmm....

Don't forget that this is an 'electronics' type project. Odds are that it will be delayed. Or fail miserably... 

(Read; I wouldn't use other people'ss money on it)

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

Don't forget that this is an 'electronics' type project. Odds are that it will be delayed. Or fail miserably... 

I would agree with that assessment completely. 

I am in for this though as the entry point is nice. If it is a complete failure, I am not out much. If it delivers, it is a cheap cost to learn the nuances of 3d printing. 

I'm just going to pop in and say if you really want a 3d printer there are really high quality ones for less then $200 that are prebuilt and have better resolution and you can get it this week instead of waiting forever to arrive (lets be honest, there hasn't been a good 3d printer KSer yet). r/3dprinting keeps and updated list of best printers for the price and new people.

Monoprice Select Mini 3D Printer is my recondition. It regularly goes on sale for $150-$175. It's easy to use, has a warranty (if US).  I use the $300 version (larger print bed and faster speed but same resolution) and they're great for terrain and such.

• Like 3

Better resolution?

The BuildOne is claimed to have a 50micron layer height as best setting. 

The Monoprice Select Mini 3D I believe has 100micron. 

My Wanhao i3, (which is the same as Monoprice i3) doesn't do better than 100micron, either. 

Horisontal resolution is less important. 

And yeah, if you can afford the $300 - 350 for the full-sized one, it's worth it. 

(I recently learned that my usual supplier can now deliver 3Kg spools of filament... Yes, I print enough to justify buying those volumes)

• Like 1

I think that the real point here is you can do better right now and by the time this delivers tech will have advanced and prices will have dropped again.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

Yeah, great point. 

Edit: I was also talking about the laser with the tech teacher at our school.  That seems unrealistic for something like this.  Even if it did work reasonably well, there's no setup for containing the smoke, which would be a nightmare inside a space like a classroom.

As plenty have said, this technology is advancing all the time, so it's not like the company is revolutionizing things by trying to provide one for under $300.

Edited by Pineapple

According to the project blurb, you also need to buy the case if you want the LASER, and I assume it's somewhat airtight.

It shouldn't be all that difficult to add some sort of suction to it to remove the smoke.

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 5:09 PM, Heisler said:

I think that the real point here is you can do better right now and by the time this delivers tech will have advanced and prices will have dropped again.

This.  Been there, done that personally already with a kickstarted 3d printer.  What was a good 3d printer 2 years ago when I backed spec wise was trash when I got it delivered this year compared to others.   If you want one just buy one instead of waiting for a mythological one to appear on KSer that's what you've been waiting for price wise.  If you can afford $100 that arrives in 16+ months you can save up for a $200 one and get it way before the other one arrives.

Also even the one I have can print at 50 micron like this one but that doesn't mean you should (most can print about half as thin as advertised--just doesn't generally do a great job).  Even this 3d printer says you normally shouldn't print that small right after you say you can so it shows that they're not being really straight forward about it.  

With anything that's a complicated machine it's better to get something that's already out as opposed to what looks to be a deal on KSer as not only do 3d printers have a horrible track record as a KSer so do most things that aren't tabletop or art related so we tend to look at stuff via rose tinted glasses.  

• Like 2