TheOldGuard

TheOldGuard paints some very old Citadel dragons - (pic heavy!)

17 posts in this topic

I remember all of these when they first came out.

Now I feel old.....

Nice stuff though!

1 person likes this

These are all terrific, but I particularly am drawn to the black dragon. Lovely color choice and highlighting on it!

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, Ghool said:

I remember all of these when they first came out.

Now I feel old.....

Nice stuff though!

Thanks! They're around 35 years old I think.

4 hours ago, magicalgenie said:

These are all terrific, but I particularly am drawn to the black dragon. Lovely color choice and highlighting on it!

Thank you, I'm happy with how he turned out!

The gold and black dragons are my favorite. Well done on those!

1 person likes this

The Old Lizards did have a certain charm to them that your WONDERFUL work with brush & palette have enhanced. Your bases are likewise LOVELYVERY WELL DONE!

1 person likes this

22 minutes ago, Darius Glenwell said:

The gold and black dragons are my favorite. Well done on those!

9 minutes ago, malefactus said:

The Old Lizards did have a certain charm to them that your WONDERFUL work with brush & palette have enhanced. Your bases are likewise LOVELYVERY WELL DONE!

Thanks guys, I'm glad you like them!

1 person likes this

Beautiful work! I'm always surprised to see these examples of how the aesthetic has changed over the years.

1 person likes this

Those are pretty cool!  Great job!

1 person likes this

Very nice work on the old school figures. I don't think I've seen those before.

1 person likes this

Awesome job on all of them!!!

My favorites are the gold and black one.

But they are all superb painted!

1 person likes this

On 6/19/2017 at 9:23 PM, Erk said:

Beautiful work! I'm always surprised to see these examples of how the aesthetic has changed over the years.

On 6/20/2017 at 2:52 AM, hiddenone32 said:

Those are pretty cool!  Great job!

On 6/23/2017 at 0:15 PM, Chaoswolf said:

Very nice work on the old school figures. I don't think I've seen those before.

On 6/23/2017 at 0:57 PM, Xherman1964 said:

Awesome job on all of them!!!

My favorites are the gold and black one.

But they are all superb painted!

Thanks guys!

2 people like this

I love seeing old miniatures painted.  Brilliant work.

The Egg

1 person likes this

All very cool! 

Favorites:

white and black dragons

1 person likes this

nice job

1 person likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By KingMob
      Long time lurker, second time poster, first time upload.

Here is the Frost Giant Queen from the Reaper Bones 3 Kickstarter for your consideration. I was unable to participate in the Bones 3 Kickstarter as I came upon these Bones figures late in the game. However, the participants who were able placed their unwanted miniatures up on eBay, so I took advantage of opportunity when presented. I focused on Color Theory and Texture on this piece as she provided a very large palette to paint upon. These Giants provided me practice in sketching too, which makes the entire line appealing to me.

Side note: Gratitude to those who did place these minis up on eBay without jacking up the prices. I was able to purchase the both Frost Giant Royalty around cost of what Reaper will sell them at Retail. This certainly displays an ethos in the Reaper community that makes this community stand out among others. Further, having lurked for awhile: the community here is quite kind and helpful. This is a good community of miniature painters.

I like the Bones miniature range. The detail on this miniature was very close to what I expect from the metal range, and I will purchase more of the Bones range in the future. I am looking forward to the resculpt of Vanya, the Fire Giant Princess, and her new size to match the Fire Giants in D&D. The attire of this miniature is akin to the Viking attire of old, and I found my SCA ventures to assist me in painting this Viking Apron and embellishments. The sculptor did an outstanding job and I look forward to more of their work.

The FAQs were an asset that made my first foray into Bones an easier one. I had difficulty with flash lines until I picked up some diamond files, which handled them quite well without marring detail like my serrated files. The bent pieces were fixed with some boiling water and cold water quite easily. The pieces fit together like a glove, though I admit I still pinned them. (My OCD was tingling.) I did use Krylon as Primer, and the tackiness disappeared after the first coat of paint. She was sealed only with Krylon Dull Cote and exhibits no tackiness. She has been handled and there is no rubbing off of paint.

I like how her base was round, though I am ignorant of what would be an appropriate Reaper base to place this inside of. (I currently have the King on a GW Dreadnought base, and I do not like it. If anyone reads this and has a recommendation, I surely would appreciate it.)

This Bones line of miniatures has proven to me to be a Good Idea and one I will support. I am already purchasing more of the Bones 2 line for my D&D and Oldhammer alternatives, and I admit excitement at the new of Bones 4. Based on the quality of these miniatures: you will have an additional participant. Please keep up the outstanding quality and amazing work.

I hope you enjoy my efforts. C&C is always appreciated: it is the only way an Artist can improve.

May your blends be smooth.
      Peace and blessings.

• By Ludo
      While I have jumped the gun for the official contest, I am jumping into the insanity pool and attempting to paint Ma'al Drakar in 7 days per Buglips' rules.
      I'm adding a level of difficulty by painting it at my FLGS and I'm live streaming while I do it. Because of that time constraint, I'm actually already one day in.... Gotta paint when the store is open. ...
      You can follow along over at https://www.twitch.tv/diceaddiction If you missed the stream or want to watch the past streams, they are under the videos tab. We'll be posting these to Facebook as well.

The schedule should be:

Thursday July 20th 
      1pm - 11pm (maybe midnight)
      Friday July 21st
      1pm - 10pm
      Saturday July 22nd
      1-pm - 6pm
      May stream again from 9pm on...
      Sunday July 23rd
      1pm - 10pm
      Monday July 24rd
      1pm -10 pm
      Tuesday July 25th
      7pm For wrap up only I've got to go back to work so there may be no video at all.

If there are more times or the times change, I'll post here.

Technical Specs on the livestream equipment

Laptop: Samsung - Notebook 5 15.6" Touch-Screen Laptop - Intel Core i5 - 8GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce 920MX - 1TB Hard Drive
      Ludo view camera: Built in laptop camera
      Top down camera: Logitech C310
      Pallet camera: Logitech C310
      Head on camera: Logitech C910
      Microphone: Logitech g35 headset
      Bulbs: 60w LED warm light bulbs
      Light diffusers: Coffee maker filters
      Lighting frame is home made. The lights can be slid along each axis.
      Streaming software: OBS Studio

First Day Progress Photos

The workspace

Gap filling

A coat of Reaper blue and grey liner to make everything stick.

• By Rob Dean
      I pulled this figure off my "to do" pile yesterday and gave him a fast paint job; think of it as practice for speed painting at Gencon.  Anyway, I also got him based up last night. He's the early version of Ral Partha ES-32 (or 01-032), and was later replaced by a spearman facing forward.  I like the animation of the Parthian shot pose, but a unit of them is going to look odd on a wargame table any time that they are NOT evading...

• By sigmaone
      This little guy will be a wedding cake topper at a friend's wedding this week. I wish I had the time, energy, and ability to do a better job, overall; it feels in many ways incomplete. But I really do like how the wing pattern and spine turned out. I really struggled painting his body, and frankly I'm hoping nobody gets around to looking at his legs and feet. He does look like a nice little fire drake from the top, I think.  This was another exercise in not trying to be bigger than my britches.

• By Lidless Eye
      After backing it on Kickstarter, I was inspired by Nord Games "Revenge of the Horde" bestiary for D&D 5E.  I liked their very "The Hobbit" inspired cave Goblins...backwards underground isolated and mutated.

After some negotiations, I got a friend's old "Escape from Goblin Town" set, and put some paint to it.  They've been through a large number of flesh revamps, and the close-ups show the slightly gritty texture from a primer malfunction.  I'm happy with them overall, although I'm still not sure how I like the way their hair came out.

The Horde:

The Great Goblin himself.  I think he'd be useful as a Fomorian leader or the like.

Just Gobbos!

Wise Snot, you're not a mutant!  How did you sneak in here?

• Who's Online   24 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)