Thrym

Bones Lord of Death as Talisman Grim Reaper :: Thrym WIP No. Γ-58

HEY HO!

I'm back ... sort of.  Things are finally starting to wind down at work.  I haven't had my new employee start yet (July 5th) but we're hitting the slow season.  New work will continue to come in but the pile-on won't be there.

So, while I have a couple of projects sitting on the shelves ... Thrym's WIP List ... I did receive my Bones 3 order and feel the need to replace the Reaper in Talisman with a much more WORTHY version.

For those that don't recall or have never seen the Reaper in Talisman ... here's a version:

74c5732c29f8b613f83c89397a86f792.jpg

Plain jane Reaper.  Which is fine.  BUT ... my poor fellow is just a little tipsy:

reaper.jpg

I specifically tilted him on his new base but he's still listing quite to the side.

So time for an upgrade!

One of the issues I have with Bones in general is Weight.  They need a little metal shot or something in the middle of them for weight.  Anyway, I started resolving this by adding the weight to the base of the mini.  But this is the REAPER of all the LANDS of TALISMAN!  He needs something significant.  So, i am showing him with a partial column behind him and will continue the bone pile he comes with around him using the skulls and pieces @ub3r_n3rd and i bought in on.

Here's the start:

5945b1488d3c4_LordofDeathasTalismanGrimReaper-ProjectStart.thumb.jpg.205518d25356eaf5dd5566cbc286ea3c.jpg

The partial column is made from cork rounds I cut down to a particular slice and stacked with a support wire through to the bottom and super glue between each slice.  I plan to soak the cork with some diluted white glue and then spray the whole thing with Dullcote to seal it.

I think I will be adding the one of the shields from the various Bones weapons kits to the column.  It's down to a toss up between:

Shields.jpg.e1b7246b24b9d74f166569725c318d8b.jpg

Of course, your first thought is ... duh, Grave.  But, the second one is just as creepy as a piece of the column.  Especially if you are a Doctor Who fan these days.  With the skulls and bones littering the ground, I think the Virtue one might be the better route.  But ... Grave. Duh!  Hit me with your thoughts!

Since the Lord of Death is standing on a tilted grave stone, I will add at least a partial one somewhere I think also leaning.

There you go, the layout of the project and concept.

Enjoy and stay tuned!

Edited by Thrym
  • Like 17

Virtue is my vote...  it implies numerous things including death taking over territory once owned by virtue

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ub3r_n3rd said:

Lookin' good! Love that you'll use skullz!

SKULLZZ!

Yup ...  in the space next to the left of Dice with Death is the Crypt, and the Grim Reaper strides across the land finding players to take.  So, I am thinking of making the column a pedestal for a special Grim Reaper's d6 and adding two tiny d6 to represent the two d6 he uses in the space within the Inner Region.

Dice With Death
Dice with Death square artwork from the "video game". The Crypt space is to the left of it.

Grim Reaper Card

While the Grim Reaper shown in the game is plain, the new

Lord of Death mini is more elaborate.  However,

his new scythe matches the artwork around the card.

6 hours ago, robinh said:

Virtue is my vote...  it implies numerous things including death taking over territory once owned by virtue

If you didn't guess from my post, that is my leaning as well.  But I am all for someone to convince me to the Grave side.  At least until I plop the shield on the column.

Speaking of columns ... I've decided to go with a plaster on stone motif for the column.

Something like this:

594bf37f82da1_ColumnofVirtue.jpg.b7d8df45674898ba00bfb7f9945a20e0.jpg

The stone work underneath will be the base cork pieces.

I imagine I will have to sculpt the column on to the existing facade but I did recently buy plastic cake risers that I will check out first.  If those work, then time to cut some plastic.

Keep your thoughts coming.  Nothings set in stone ... until it is set in faux stone.

Edited by Thrym
  • Like 6

Ub3r ...always the barbarian wanting everything to weep blood....   :huh:

Mind you that does sound neat!:B):

• Like 3

Paint Day came and I finished working on the base, primed and "blacked" it.

To start off, I spackled the front of the column with Green Putty and glued the Shield of Virtue over it.  I left the spackle rough to give some texture to the surface.

Then using bits of really thin slate I wrapped the rest of the piece in rock.

596384bee39cf_StoneColumn-Primed.thumb.jpg.5a9d87c66fc924fde5f7a001cd36c3df.jpg

From here it was time to add some more details to the base.  Or as Ub3r would say ...

SKULLZ!!

596393352dc15_StoneColumnn-BlackWashed-Skullz1.jpg.ed1bd66480a9840d2bd54d62e6bfb8f8.jpg

59639335c00a4_StoneColumnn-BlackWashed-Skullz2.jpg.ae9d79f63a1753bde36859321af5babc.jpg

There will be a larger pile of skullz behind the reaper on top of the "stone" below the shield.  It's there to fill out the pile without wasting skulls.  I'll be adding a bit more bones and skullz around the integral base to blend the base in but I will also be sanding back the bottom of the base to thin the bottom edge out a lot.

I'll also be adding more pieces of rock to the face of the column to simulate the broken column look.

Next up ... more Bones & SKULLZ!!

Enjoy and Stay Tuned!

Edited by Thrym
  • Like 9

All I can think of when I see this is, "What do we say to the god of death?" "Not today."

Very cool!

• Like 2