On 4/2/2018 at 11:39 PM, Morihalda said:

I also plan on making a couple busts of my other dark elves. I'll probably start with my boys Teldryn and Sarthis. They will be in a static pose (gasp!) so I can learn great anatomy.

HAHAHAH yeah that didn't work. I kept making more and more plans for them until I made myself stop.

I took a true break for a few weeks, playing with watercolor pencils and not trying to learn something else in a different art subject. Art is fun again, whoo!

I only have Damaris/Maeryn's hand and pistol left to resculpt, and then I'll be moving on to practicing heads and prepping for my ReaperCon entry! ::D: 

I know what my entry is going to be, I just need to solidify the general poses before I post and get started.

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 6

Sculpt all the things, fren!

• Thanks 1

I didn't quite think out my Damaris conversion WIP posts.... I have sculpting and painting all in one thread.

I've finished the conversion part, which are these particular posts in the thread I linked above.

1 - The floor and lantern

2 - Her hat (feathers not shown)

3 - Pistol base and hand

4 - Completed pistol

Next sculpting things to learn: teenagers and fluffy puppies! :wub: 

• Like 4

Hi all,

Mori's asking for some help. 

She wants the weight to be on the figure's right leg. The arms will be holding something later, closer to the body. She's saying its wrong, but can't find what needs to change.

pixlr_20180723173400179.jpg

Edited by Sabiri
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Poof, I’m here. 

4 hours ago, Sabiri said:

Hi all,

She wants the weight to be on the figure's right leg. The arms will be holding something later, closer to the body. She's saying its wrong, but can't find what needs to change.

Couple things:

1. Hip on the weight bearing leg (right) looks a bit longer than the one on the left check the measurement. 

2. Spine needs to curve to the right at the lower back then back slightly left

3 Spine is leaning back as it should when carrying a weight, but looks weird at this stage. Ignore it. 

4 shoulders could be counterposted a little more, but not much

Thats all. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Do you have the reference image for it

7 hours ago, Sabiri said:

Hi all,

Do you have the reference image(s) for the fig?

• Like 1

So you'll need the right foot to be directly in the center of the body's mass in order to support the weight. I'm pretty sure that's what Andy was saying but I wasn't sure. He definitely pays more attention to this phase of a sculpt than I do. I get it generally where I want and shore up any mistakes in later phases. Looking good!

• Like 5

No reference image, I couldn't find anything with a similar pose, and using myself often isn't an option as often as I'd like it to be. I found one photo of a girl holding a fox, it's super gorgeous but she's holding the fox all wrong and I want a wolf anyway.

I think I was able to fix a couple of the mistakes with the suggestions here, but it's been a really long week/month/year so I'm not really sure. 

Charging along -

Armature. The left leg and I have been fighting a lot since the armature was slightly off when I changed the pose. I left a lot of space between the legs, I'll fill it in when I get to clothing, or maybe earlier when I finish the legs.

pixlr_20180730133706493.thumb.jpg.c1ea323677031822b54b6c3b366f82be.jpg

Globs of superglue, cover my sins with greenstuff, juvenile wolf armature! Let's see how big of a mess I've gotten myself in with a pose like this....

pixlr_20180730133850602.thumb.jpg.e78206f6f4ce85c1c8c412a3fe2b061e.jpg

• Like 7

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 4:18 PM, Rainbow Sculptor said:

So you'll need the right foot to be directly in the center of the body's mass in order to support the weight. I'm pretty sure that's what Andy was saying but I wasn't sure. He definitely pays more attention to this phase of a sculpt than I do. I get it generally where I want and shore up any mistakes in later phases. Looking good!

Way back when I was a younger sculptor Drew Williams taught me about applying plumb lines to a figure and how they should influence your posing. It was a huge help! In a nutshell if you run a line right through the middle of the head down to the feet the line should end up being directly between the feet or directly through a foot. Exceptions being a transitional pose, a bracing pose, a pose where the model is off balance, or if normal gravity isn't applying (weightless, underwater, free fall). Keeping this in mind should help you with getting natural, balanced poses, and if you break this rule it should be because you meant to in order to get a dramatic effect!

I saw some of Rainbow Sculptor's work two years ago and really liked it, I am hoping to see more plus whatever goodies Morihalda brings to Reapercon this year!

• Like 2

First off you have some great progress going on! 

My 2 cents regarding the legs...

For her weight to be on her right foot in that pose it needs to be directly under her head for her to be balance.

For her left leg I'd say it looks like it needs to be brought backwards a bit. It looks like you are going for a left knee turned inwards pose? It should look cute when you are done!. Right now her left knee is bent sideway, giving her a knock knee look. In very general terms a knee is a hinge joint, there are a bunch of other arthrokinematics going on with the knee but generally it folds one way. To have the knee turned in you have to roll the femur in at the hip, which will twist the lower leg out. The heel will end up sticking out away from the body with the toes turned inwards. There is some play in the angles due to flexibility in the ankles and to a lesser extent in the knees but usually the toes want to point in the same direction as the knee. Knees in, toes in, heel out!

Unless you had a different idea in mind? I am just guessing at what you want the final result to be.

• Like 2

@GHarris Thank you for pointing out the left leg! You can see in my armature that halfway through I went, "oh yeah, no, I want it to go this way instead," and completely changed the direction of the knee. I honestly should just have reshaped it but I thought I was awake enough to remember my changes. It looks like I've been subconsciously smushing the clay over to match the wire inside instead of the new plan.

I'll see if she needs to be pushed back a bit - I know Andy mentioned that it was fine how awkward it looked without putty on it, but again, I've probably subconsciously pushed her forward since. I didn't work on her today but I need to take some profile pictures next time!

I think I didn't work on her today because I took one look at the wire tangle I've created and decided to "save" that for tomorrow.

--

And how it always goes, my brain gives me a chance for art and now there's like 15 projects I want to do. I remembered to write one of them down! Another bust. ::D: I'll try to get the armature and core down before ReaperCon so I can bug people about it.

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 2

LOTS OF PHOTOS INCOMING! My new phone has a very basic camera, so I'm sorry about that in advance.

On 5/8/2018 at 11:15 AM, Morihalda said:
On 4/2/2018 at 11:39 PM, Morihalda said:

I also plan on making a couple busts of my other dark elves. I'll probably start with my boys Teldryn and Sarthis. They will be in a static pose (gasp!) so I can learn great anatomy.

HAHAHAH yeah that didn't work. I kept making more and more plans for them until I made myself stop.

Remember that one time that was like every other time where I got too excited and too ambitious? Add in a ridiculous year and well, I didn't get too much done on the art side of things. We kept talking about canceling ReaperCon, but ultimately decided early last week to go. And I know you don't need an entry to be at the con, but I really value the judging there - I would absolutely love to become a professional sculptor one day, so I neeeeeed that critique!

I only have a couple days so I needed something that required little thought on creativity to give me more time on the mechanical side. I decided on a character I made in Guild Wars 2 - her face, clothing, fabric colors, and attitude were all things I decided on sometime last year and was happy with. It was also nice that the sculpting parts would be challenging and the painting would be simple. I could put her in a neutral pose, all the other stuff was thought out, and I wouldn't be bored out of my mind by trying to work on a boring person with boring clothes in a boring pose.

Meet Kahdeh! Some parts were very much simplified or omitted.

Wow, I wish I had been sculpting by my computer - these details are much easier to see here instead of squinting at a phone....

image.thumb.png.6894e221755b15d017892a6676988bd9.png

I was curious about how long it takes for me to make a mini, but I didn't want to stress myself out with a timer. So I added a clock to most of my photos.  I also discovered that if I made the main foot wire longer than the other, I could situate it on the cork easier!

1 - Starting with an armature I made sometime last year

2 - 20 minutes to bend everything correctly

3 - 1 hr 20 minutes to get a pose and base coat of putty. Goodness! I found taking forever here was worth it though - putting the clay on the body and legs was relaxing. I also just like leg shapes.

Image may contain: 1 person

Getting the body sorted out. This took about an hour. I am IN LOVE with Beesputty.

I ended up taking the clay off the arms completely because I am just not practiced enough to do it all together. They kept getting in the way!

The legs are also different thicknesses in this photo - I wanted to see which I liked more once I got the torso blocked out. I liked the wider one more. ;)

No automatic alt text available.

I spent about two and a half hours on the skirt and boots here. The sturdier fabric was rolled out, had a piece of linen smushed on it for texture, and then stuck on with very slight movement added to it. I redid the lighter fabric several times. I wasn't happy with fewer, more uniform, thicker folds because it made it "feel" too heavy. It was kinda cool to see the differences on that.

image.png.2e82e56be17bffc00f6d005ce1a66a3d.png

Current spot. It took me two hours to get the image on the left. For just one arm. No hand, no armor. I need extra practice with arms!!

The forearm looks a little wonky in the left image since I had started closing the gap between the arm and body in preparation for the armor.

It took another hour to get the arm details on, softly scream a bit when I realized how thin her arm was, and then another 30 minutes to add some more clay.

image.png.764b694940b3491f7796832d6d808cdf.png

Also I dropped her (this surprises 0 people) and I broke two of her fabric squares. So those are staying off 'til I'm done with her and they get liquid Beesputtied on for the last bake.

Gameplan:

T: Finish other arm(or), bake. Get base putty on hands.

F: Hands! Prepare for wonky hands, I'm runnin' outta time. Bake! Get started on her head.

S: Burn through a bunch of heads until one actually works. Bake. Add sunglasses, hair, any final little details, final bake! Prime!

S: Paaaaaaaaaint

M: emergency extra day

• Like 11

Oh did I mention at all during my previous post that I also want to make a dragon? No? I guess that would have fallen under the first paragraph of, "Mori too much energy and ambition, sit your butt down for a minute." 

Well. I also want to make a teeny dragon.

"Fear meeeeeee...."

No automatic alt text available.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Tough day so I didn't get much arting done. Good thing I had that extra day in my schedule. I.... Sculpted a shoulder and set up the armature for the baby dragon.

Who is now a wyvern.

But I was really taken with the idea of him crawling around like a cute little bat.

pixlr_20180823234837558.thumb.jpg.ab39eb16c8fb3aa3f90e238cd0a0daf7.jpg

Edited by Morihalda
I should probably add a photo.
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1