06/28/17

I'm much happier with the 4th or 5th try of the boot. Adding a knee and thigh helps a bit too! 

It's good to note here that those of us starting out - we are going to be SLOOOOW. I think I'm an hour and half into this sculpting video, and it's taken me a few days to get here. :lol: 

I also started another armature, at 30mm this time. This one I am just gonna run off with on my own, doing the muscles groups as I learned them. The pose is inspired by Kev White's shaman from the last kickstarter, as he posted a set of super nice photos of the body from every side. 

Bhdx0sQ.jpg

• Like 13

06/29/17

She'll be wearing shorts, so I think this last photo is okay. :lol::lol:

I'll be posting facebook or instagram links after today though, whichever one is nicer to me about chests. 

Hips! ::D: I need to make the knees wider as well as smooth the underside of the thighs. They look crazy bad here.

I think she also needs a slightly higher bump on her right foot.

I cut off a ton of the GS I used to wrap the wire on top to make room for fresh putty on her chest.

I need to learn how to take better quality photos (I'll go read in the photo section for that).

I've learned that adding more yellow than blue makes it easier to blend into other layers.

Is there a way to really blend cured GS with new GS, or is it better to cut off a layer and wrap the whole area over with new GS?

I need to work on overall smoothness, too! I think that general practice and increased confidence with GS will help a ton with that - I'll be working a bit faster and not using half cured putty/trying to blend into half cured putty.

sGuKtAT.jpg?1

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 11

9 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Is there a way to really blend cured GS with new GS?

Yes.  It is fairly easy on a textured surface because you can get it close and then just reapply the texture.  On a smooth surface, it takes a lot of patience and work.  In this later case you apply the new putty to the cured putty and get it as close to perfect as you can with your normal tools.  Then using a burnisher (curved or cupped tool, almost like a mini spoon) you tease the new putty into ever thinner layers over the old.  Then smooth it all and reburnish.  Smooth and reburnish.  Smooth and reburnish.  (Unless you haven't guessed, this can take a while to get it perfect).

Picture1.thumb.jpg.82dda126a9d2e1716dcdb62a3572ade6.jpg

You can also scrape seams after cure to smooth them using the edge of a sharp scalpel held 90 degrees to the surface and scrapped along to remove a small bit of GS, smoothing things. 

• Like 10

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Yes.  It is fairly easy on a textured surface because you can get it close and then just reapply the texture.  On a smooth surface, it takes a lot of patience and work.  In this later case you apply the new putty to the cured putty and get it as close to perfect as you can with your normal tools.  Then using a burnisher (curved or cupped tool, almost like a mini spoon) you tease the new putty into ever thinner layers over the old.  Then smooth it all and reburnish.  Smooth and reburnish.  Smooth and reburnish.  (Unless you haven't guessed, this can take a while to get it perfect).

Picture1.thumb.jpg.82dda126a9d2e1716dcdb62a3572ade6.jpg

You can also scrape seams after cure to smooth them using the edge of a sharp scalpel held 90 degrees to the surface and scrapped along to remove a small bit of GS, smoothing things. 

*squints at package of clay scraping tools* I think I might have one of those, not sure yet.

• Like 2

I make my own by cold forging piano wire using my bench grinder and a jeweler's anvil and hammer.

Pictures (note that the wood handle in the pictures is a 1/4 inch dia. dowel):

Spoiler

Burnisher.thumb.jpg.43cd34a055a9d7ad2c2f9434dfbf68bd.jpgBurnisher1.thumb.jpg.e9a19a7a3f3a2cb35ea626242f15410e.jpgBurnisher2.thumb.jpg.1dd60f0dbb22f22780dd417bb628fcb1.jpg

• Like 6

Here is a commercially made version you can find in many sets that works pretty good (most commercially made ones are too large for our needs, but this one is not bad):

Spoiler

Burnisher4.thumb.jpg.93fb2bad9e36ffb016c96b3db2e55ad1.jpg

59566ceb670ca_burnisher3.thumb.jpg.972907331c58c6a53b014b4493e349b4.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Speak_Centurion said:

Now that's just unfair. Mori, you are making annoyingly fast progress, it took me forever to get that far!

D: Oh no, I'm sure that if I had a day job, our speed would be quite similar!

However I am currently unemployed right now, so I'm busting my butt to learn as much art as I can for a couple months while we have the savings for rent. It took years and years to have this chance, I'm terrified of squandering it - I don't know if I'll have another chance like this again for many years. So I gotta work work work! :lol: 

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Thank you! Okay, when I try to do the perpendicular scalpel thing, it starts to pull off the top layer. Maybe I'm not doing the first part as well as I should? Or too dull of a blade, maybe too heavy handed?

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Morihalda said:

Thank you! Okay, when I try to do the perpendicular scalpel thing, it starts to pull off the top layer. Maybe I'm not doing the first part as well as I should? Or too dull of a blade, maybe too heavy handed?

OK.  First the putty needs to be fully cured to do this.  

Second, you need a VERY sharp blade.  X-acto knife blades are not good enough, you need scalpel blades. I use 

Feather 2976#11 Feather Sterile Surgical Blade, #11 (Pack of 100) blades I get off of Amazon.  A box of 100 will last you years.  I insert them into my round X-Acto knife handle and clamp down on them with the blade parallel to the handle to give me the most control (scalpel handles tend to be flat and do not let you rotate the blade enough as you cut).

Third, for this technique, you need a very light to no pressure on the blade, letting its own weight lightly scrape the surface. It takes a lot of patience. See the blotchy area on the second dolphin behind the dorsal fin to the tail.  I smoothed that area after sculpting by scraping with a scalpel. It was similar to your thigh when I started.

03726_g_1.jpg

(Funny, you can tell the difference between when I have smoothed putty with my fingers/burnishers vs. scraping later by how shiny it is.  Dull finish was scraped.)

• Like 9

Just now, TaleSpinner said:

you need a VERY sharp blade.

Oooh, I remember those dolphins!! ::D: Yeah, that'll be the issue then. I've used this x-acto blade for a while too.

I'll see if I can't pick up a second handle and some scalpels next week!

• Like 5

06/30/17-07/02/17

Camping weekend! I was diligent and did my sculpting. I got in the groove! ::D:  I ended up sculpting standing up inside of the camper, trying to get the last of the light haha.

I wish I brought my anatomy book, I think her calf could be bigger but I'm happy with the underside of her thigh, thighs have these lovely curves on them! Just gotta figure out how to bring that out in epoxy.

Looking at it again, it looks like her ankle should be a teeny bit higher too? And I missed a part I needed to smooth on the inside left part of the knee.

I did take a break today (the 3rd), as I needed to do lots of adulting, so my art was Moana doodles.

I would love to create art one day with such heart that it makes people happy, like so many movies do for me. ^_^ 

19553926_463179530724804_8690289128482547729_n.thumb.jpg.29d6974952859e1b6f1bc1ee3c9a598a.jpg

• Like 9

looking good!

I am not so sure the ankle needs to be higher though.  Remember you have her in high heels.

• Like 1

I think the sticky-outy bits of the ankles that no one ever knows the name of, could do with being a smaller and a bit higher. The distance from the sole of your foot should be roughly the span of four fingers. Try holding your own ankle to measure.  It's hard to tell for sure looking at a photo though, and I'm almost nitpicking.

There's one possible error I *think* I can see, but depending on how you sculpt, it may dissapear so I'll shut up until you come back and say "I can't understand what's gone wrong!". And if not, then I won't look like an idiot.  Your sculpt is looking rather spiffingly good.

• Like 1

(07/05/17)

(Today's art is drawing - I need to finish a couple pictures. I'm hoping for more sculpting tomorrow!)

4 hours ago, Speak_Centurion said:

I think the sticky-outy bits of the ankles that no one ever knows the name of, could do with being a smaller and a bit higher. The distance from the sole of your foot should be roughly the span of four fingers. Try holding your own ankle to measure.  It's hard to tell for sure looking at a photo though, and I'm almost nitpicking.

There's one possible error I *think* I can see, but depending on how you sculpt, it may dissapear so I'll shut up until you come back and say "I can't understand what's gone wrong!". And if not, then I won't look like an idiot.  Your sculpt is looking rather spiffingly good.

Haha! Yeah, I did feel that they need to be higher, once I saw the sculpt in full light. It was fun looking at anatomy books, seeing how one side of the ankle is a bit higher than the other.

You can PM me for the other possible error if you'd like. ::D: I promise to not make you feel like an idiot and I always appreciate another set of eyes!

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 5

Week 2. Nonexistent. OUCH. I snuck in a little art doodle time to not break my streak!

We had our little cousin over, and surprisingly that was more than a full time job. Who knew kids took time and effort? :lol:

I did manage to add the second leg, as well as get overly excited and make a 3rd armature. It's been really fun trying different poses!

The new armature will be a kitty archer. ::D: 

19956923_467258156983608_3890979158967705888_o.jpg.c42ff706bd26ca15e117fbcdcd416187.jpg

• Like 9