Morihalda

Mori Practices Sculpting!

146 posts in this topic

Of course it is! You just learned several ways to NOT do things!::D: Which is actually incredibly important, because now your path to sculpting is a bit smoother because of it.

4 people like this

Sadly it seems the best way for use to learn is from our own mistakes. People in my family tend to be a bit stubborn (ha, understatement) and even when we get good advice we try to do it our way first. Good on you for keeping notes and continuing. I'd really like to be able to sculpt but have never put enough effort into it. Small conversions I can do but my few times trying to make a whole mini are unique to say the least.

2 people like this

RIP, Mr. Skeltal. You were too strong for your own feet.

I will continue my anatomy studies separately by drawing from the anatomy books and by drawing the muscles over photos - I'll probably put a few of my exercises here just for example, but I won't post those daily in a sculpting thread.

I'm going to finish making a bunch of little armatures today so that I can start practicing tomorrow, which leads to this question.

I have in my sculpting notes (I'm not sure where I got the info) to sculpt minis at a slightly smaller scale than what you want because you don't want all of your minis to be giants, and it gives you space for stretched poses. I was going to make a bunch of 32mm armatures for practice, which would mean 30mm, but when I compare the minis I own to an armature sheet, they are 35mm tall! :O So now I'm confused.

4 people like this

24 minutes ago, Morihalda said:

RIP, Mr. Skeltal. You were too strong for your own feet.

I will continue my anatomy studies separately by drawing from the anatomy books and by drawing the muscles over photos - I'll probably put a few of my exercises here just for example, but I won't post those daily in a sculpting thread.

I'm going to finish making a bunch of little armatures today so that I can start practicing tomorrow, which leads to this question.

I have in my sculpting notes (I'm not sure where I got the info) to sculpt minis at a slightly smaller scale than what you want because you don't want all of your minis to be giants, and it gives you space for stretched poses. I was going to make a bunch of 32mm armatures for practice, which would mean 30mm, but when I compare the minis I own to an armature sheet, they are 35mm tall! :O So now I'm confused.

Are you saying this would have been Mr. Skeltal?

maxresdefault.jpg

5 people like this

18 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Are you saying this would have been Mr. Skeltal?

maxresdefault.jpg

Never skip leg day.

5 people like this

Posted (edited)

this is a great idea!!!  Good progress and I'm glad you're getting the basics in first!  Sometimes it helps to visit skeletons and get up close and personal with the anatomy.  Do you have a museum near you where you could possibly ask for some time to examine the collections up close?  I know art museums will often issue sketching permits.  Many of the natural history museums might be willing to assist you if you get to know the staff. I worked at our natural history museum for 6 years as a volunteer and was able to get into the collections to sketch bones, turtle shells, feathers and such and get to know the bits. That was helpful when I was learning to draw.  I bet the curators would love to have someone interested in their work.

edited to add: um when I said visit I don't mean do like the old artists did and dig up skeleton... ;) Kidding!

Edited by Corporea
6 people like this

3 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Never skip leg day.

Hahaha! That's exactly what I said on FB! :lol: 

3 hours ago, Corporea said:

this is a great idea!!!  Good progress and I'm glad you're getting the basics in first!  Sometimes it helps to visit skeletons and get up close and personal with the anatomy.  Do you have a museum near you where you could possibly ask for some time to examine the collections up close?  I know art museums will often issue sketching permits.  Many of the natural history museums might be willing to assist you if you get to know the staff. I worked at our natural history museum for 6 years as a volunteer and was able to get into the collections to sketch bones, turtle shells, feathers and such and get to know the bits. That was helpful when I was learning to draw.  I bet the curators would love to have someone interested in their work.

edited to add: um when I said visit I don't mean do like the old artists did and dig up skeleton... ;) Kidding!

Oooh, thanks! That would be awesome! The natural science museum and zoo here are pretty good, so that will be great when I do animals. One of my favorite sections at the museum is one on the history of Native Americans - from Alaska to Colombia! - so that will be great for cool clothing ideas. 

Actual people anatomy.... I'm not so sure. I'll have to dig around here and see if there's anything. There's a health museum but it was only open when I was at work. I guess that's available to me now! ::o: 

5 people like this

some history museums have skeletons just not always on display.  worth calling to check or visiting, maybe. medical schools or community colleges might have something. Hmmmn.  maybe check and see if a local college has anything?  If you know any students, they may have access to either a life drawing lab or an anatomy lab!  If you're feeling especially ambitious or financially able, taking a life drawing class is fantastic.  I took all the ones I could in college.  It's nice having the live models and seeing the way light affects anatomy when it comes to both painting and sculpting.  They usually get a bunch of different models over the course of the semester and use different poses from class to class, so you'll have a variety of anatomy to sketch.

5 people like this

Posted (edited)

06/26/17

Step 1: Get your proportions right.

Step 2: Pose!

Step 3: "Underpin" by adding some bulk

Step 4: Realize your proportions were wrong after you posed her and try to fix it by lifting up the hips. Also your wire is still sticking out, ya goof, make that tighter next time!

Step 5: Laugh and say goodbye to those 2 hours

Step 6: Restart.... :P

19400128_460442650998492_259999338768541241_n.thumb.jpg.f20e0f5ce1243c7a99d8851794b45f69.jpg

Edited by Morihalda
12 people like this

06/27/17

Again, again! 35mm to the top of the head was much nicer to me!

I plan on cutting off the calves and feet - I bent the wire so it would go through her feet, but I decided I would like it better if I straightened out the wire and made it go through the heel. How does that sound? Or maybe she'll get wedges. ::D:

The bottom photos - I got this weird "skin" when I tried to mush the excess GS on the thigh. It went on okay, but when I tried to smooth it, it popped up a bit. When I picked at it, it all came in one sheet. What makes it do that?

These will be my references for this miniature: 
- Personal notes from various sculptors/websites
- Patrick Keith's armature sheet
- Sculpting an Anime Girl with James von Schaik video
- Kev White's WIP albums
- my boot

19437422_461048804271210_3483306781163644917_n.thumb.jpg.8b05dab22967663fed523c314c666fde.jpg

10 people like this

What are you using for lubrication? The only thing I can think of that would cause the peeling is if there was a thin layer of say vasaline on the lower layer which wouldn't allow the top layer to adhere.

2 people like this

10 minutes ago, Humansquish said:

What are you using for lubrication? The only thing I can think of that would cause the peeling is if there was a thin layer of say vasaline on the lower layer which wouldn't allow the top layer to adhere.

Ooh yep, that'll do it! I'll be sure to make sure I clean the mini off after layers. Thank you!!

1 person likes this

Actually, you get this if you don't have vaseline on your fingers while mixing the putty.  A small amount of vaseline mixed into the putty allows it to adhere to putty with vaseline on/in it.

7 people like this

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Actually, you get this if you don't have vaseline on your fingers while mixing the putty.  A small amount of vaseline mixed into the putty allows it to adhere to putty with vaseline on/in it.

Okay, I'll try that too! Thanks ::D: