Morihalda

Mori Practices Sculpting!

81 posts in this topic

07/10/17

Things I learned:

- You can use the cured surface of one part as the hard surface to put your knife on to cut other parts away. Some of my seams were too thick, so I was able to cut them down to the proper size that way.

- I'm sculpting without an optivisor, since I'm watching a video at the same time I'm doing these. My seams aren't gonna be that smooth the first time when I can't see them. CALM DOWN when you see the photos, self!!

- Don't try to fix them with a dull blade. Just patiently wait for your scalpels to come in. Just. Don't. It'll catch on the GS and mess it up. :(

Things to fix but gotta post mistakes 'cause we're not perfect the first time (I'm finally learning that):

- Crazy seams mentioned above

- That thigh gap from her back side is ridiculous, part of that is camera angle and part of that is following this video but good lawd.

Things I need to learn:

- My recurring theme: How to make GS stick? I started to add the fluffies but I could feel and see the putty pulling away so I stopped. I picked it off after this photo and I'll try again tomorrow. I was liberally using vaseline today and the other parts went on great, but that itty bitty line for the fluff was rough.

19964815_467774500265307_33025706_n.thumb.jpg.0a3be408c8b4c15ea4ab48117048e45c.jpg

9 people like this

I can actually see the Vaseline on the mini, so that might be the problem.  I tend to use Vaseline as follows:

1. A very thin coat on my finger tips while I mix the putty.  This adds a bit to the putty making it stick to other Vaseline infused putty.

2. A swab on my left index finger and thumb, the part where hair grows.  In this, I wipe my tools when they start to stick.

3. Apply it to my board and other rolling surfaces.

What I don't do is ever apply it directly to a mini.

All that said, very small pieces of putty do have a hard time sticking.  Because we form them ahead and try to stick them on as is, we often don't leave enough to do the sticking and blending.  Often I will cut channels or drill holes to give small bits more purchase.  For instance, when doing a rivet or gem, I always drill a small hole first and insert the rivet as a short cylinder into the hole, then smash down and shape the head.  For a long piece like a belt, I cut a channel, press the formed piece into it, then reshape and smooth it with my clay shapers.

So for your frilly edges there, I likely would have applied them as ribbons around the base of her pants, smoothed the top of the ribbon into the pants using a burnisher, then teased out the bottom into the fluffies.  Going straight to applying the fluffies is likely why they didn't stick, as you didn't fully seal them down to the sculpt in any way.

I'm not sure that this makes sense.

8 people like this

Yeah! That makes sense! I figured the Vaseline was the culprit here - mine has turned almost liquid after camping and it gets everywhere.... I can't even "store" it on my hand anymore, it just sorta vanishes after 15 seconds. I'll replace that!

And it makes sense to give the clay something to attach to - I had smushed the ribbon of epoxy on, but I competely forgot to redo that step when I cut some off because it was too wide! I'll fix that today. :D

1 person likes this

07/12-07/13

I recharged my portable USB light and wow, these minis are horrid:upside: These bright lights really show you where the issues are!!  Good-ness. Gracious.

There are a lot of things I need to fix, but at this point I'm focusing on finishing these minis. That'll let me work on another mini with a better base, and keep improving!

Mini 1:

I need to add her triceps in, and a bit below her elbow.

I also need just more practice - that arm took over an hour. >_> 

Mini 2:

I kinda spaced out on the other mini - my husband was watching the Office and I love Jim and Pam something fierce. So I just kinda.... made the skirt? :wacko: I'm hoping flowy fabric is addressed in this video, though I highly doubt it. He seems quite happy with his form fitting clothing. I'll probably make another mini based on a figure in Hogarth's Drapery reference, and go wild with that!

Her anklet could be sitting on, well. Her ankle. Why did I even make that, and so chunky too!

And while I'm still making sure I do art every day, I've decided to not post daily here - I'll just post when I get a good bit of work in. It also means I don't have to worry about where I'm going to link photos of epoxy chests!

20046109_469208660121891_1931739508_n.jpg.3d5a6ab159d1aa85e38d3a9abdd8f344.jpg

10 people like this

Considering it's early days, those are bloody good Mori. By the standards of professional sculpting, yes they are horribly, shamefully, bad, but really it's just a case of making little tweaks and refinements and developing your own personal method until your sculpting is just-so. I am definitely in imminent danger of being overtaken.

You must be stopped.

7 people like this

Her ankle bracelet looks more like a soft leather bootlet—the top rolls down a bit. 

Might not be what you intended but the bright side is if you ever want the soft leather boot look...you've got it. 

For this mini: maybe she just wants more sensible footgear?

But the important question is: Did you learn something from this?

1 person likes this

I gotta keep truckin' on. ::D: 

28 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

But the important question is: Did you learn something from this?

Always! That's why I've got my notes. :) 

4 people like this

6 hours ago, Speak_Centurion said:

More pics please!

I will! I spent some time with my parents and siblings this weekend, but I'm ready to sculpt a whole bunch tomorrow! ::D: 

2 people like this

This isn't really a good collage but I needed to smush the photos all together for one post.

The green on the left is my first "finished" mini. I decided to leave everything I did "the first time" on there, as I want to be able to compare my future work to my ground 0. Even the hands, ouch. Normally I'd want to redo everything until it was perfect!

I noticed as I was sculpting the face that I was creating her the same way I draw faces - very angular faces and eyes. I'm going to love making elves. 1f609.png;)

However, while following the video, I found that I didn't like the particular subject, often changing parts or ignoring the video entirely. It made it difficult to follow along, though I did take notes!

I decided I'll learn it better with practice practice practice! I'm going to visit Hogarth's Drapery book! I've got some more armatures set up. 

20179622_471314569911300_1673083360_n.jpg.4badc96af69fe9ff91663b829cf2892d.jpg

12 people like this

For a first figure that is really good. Most of the proportions seem correct which is, imho, one of the hardest things. Also work on keeping things smooth. I look forward to seeing more from you.

1 person likes this

28 minutes ago, Humansquish said:

For a first figure that is really good. Most of the proportions seem correct which is, imho, one of the hardest things. Also work on keeping things smooth. I look forward to seeing more from you.

Thank you! I used Patrick Keith's armature template, as well as "Anatomy for Sculptors," recommended to me by Talespinner. ^_^

My scalpels just came in today, so I'm excited to work on making stuff super smooth between seams on my next mini!

1 person likes this

Damn it! How is Mori so good at sculpting the pelvis so soon? I am really, really struggling with the pelvis and thighs.

2 people like this