56 posts in this topic

Woo hoo! Artificial timelines ^_^!

Good luck!

1 person likes this

This challenge would make me pee my pants, but I hope you knock it out of the park OneBoot!

I'll definitely cheer you on... (and privately judge your sanity). ::P:

1 person likes this

Go go Oneboot!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I gave the new Sepia liner a try, and I like it quite a bit. It's much lighter than Brown liner, even unthinned, with a nice golden brown.

The two on the left I thinned 5:1 Sepia liner : water, the next two were 6:1 liner : water, and the lady on the right I tried it unthinned. It got a tiny bit bubbly when I thinned it, so I think going forward I'll just use it without thinning it. Which I'm totally down with. :)

JZaSTNxl.jpg

I discovered that Merisiel hasn't any nose, so I'll have to paint it on, but that doesn't really bother me much.

I think I'll trim off the worst of the mold lines, touch up the liner, and then proceed with skin tones.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Edited by OneBoot
21 people like this

Considering I should try & paint up some PC minis for my RCon games, I'll be following along!

1 person likes this

The sepia liner is looking good! I've completely fallen in love with it for base coating Bones and finally understand why people want giant bottles of the stuff. It's so much easier to get bright colors over sepia liner than brown or gray. It shows off the miniature's detail better also. Gonna need so many bottles. 

3 people like this

WooHoo!  Go Go Go!  You can dooooo eeeeeet!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

On 6/19/2017 at 0:32 PM, CorallineAlgae said:

I'll definitely cheer you on... (and privately judge your sanity). ::P:

Feel free to publicly judge it too, I don't mind. :lol: 

On 6/19/2017 at 1:13 PM, CorallineAlgae said:

The sepia liner is looking good! I've completely fallen in love with it for base coating Bones and finally understand why people want giant bottles of the stuff. It's so much easier to get bright colors over sepia liner than brown or gray. It shows off the miniature's detail better also. Gonna need so many bottles. 

Oh yeah, the skin tones are going on with far fewer coats than usual, even though I'm thinning it slightly. It's very nice. It seems to be nicely durable too, since it reacted the same way as Brown Liner when I tried scratching it off with my fingernail. It came off slightly on the figures that I put the thinned liner on, and it barely came off at all on the one with the unthinned liner. Awesome! :bday:

So, I was going to just do all of the skin tones and then post, but I figured this is a WIP thread, so y'all might want to actually see the progress. :upside:

Here's Lady Masumi with 3 coats Rosy Shadow, and 2 coats Rosy Skin, both slightly thinned:

20X8uYBl.jpg

I should note that I'm sort of terrified of painting skin, female in particular, so this is totally pushing my boundaries. :)

And here's Merisiel and Galadanoth (what a mouthful; I'mma change his name to Elrohir), with 3 coats Rosy Shadow and only 1 coat Rosy Skin; that second coat makes a big difference, as you'll see:

WsNdHl7l.jpg

yfK4j0Kl.jpg

I'm doing my best to follow all of the excellent face painting advice @Corporea has given in her threads, but to me it just looks like they're all wearing light-colored war paint. Hopefully it will look okay at tabletop distance, though.

And here's Merisiel (I'm going to call her Tipsy from now on, since even after boiling she won't stand straight) and Elrohir with a second coat of Rosy Skin:

DkNaHE9l.jpg

Pk0VVU1l.jpg

I'm going to do a Rosy Highlight layer on each of them, and then I've got a different triad I put together for the other two.

Huzzah!

Edited by OneBoot
Corrected the names
20 people like this

You can do it, OneBoot!  They're already looking good!

To time capsule this thread for future forum searches, here are the names of the new Bones III minis (assuming Reaper doesn't change anything):

• (242) (Dwarf Ranger) = 77480 Durok, Dwarf Ranger
  • (154) (Lady Blademaster) = 77440 Masumi, Demon Hunter
  • (101) (Elf Archer) = 77320 Galadanoth, Elf Sniper
3 people like this

Posted (edited)

17 minutes ago, Dr_Automaton said:

You can do it, OneBoot!  They're already looking good!

To time capsule this thread for future forum searches, here are the names of the new Bones III minis (assuming Reaper doesn't change anything):

• (242) (Dwarf Ranger) = 77480 Durok, Dwarf Ranger
  • (154) (Lady Blademaster) = 77440 Masumi, Demon Hunter
  • (101) (Elf Archer) = 77320 Galadanoth, Elf Sniper

Thank you for the information; I'll update my initial post in a bit. :) I think "Demon Hunter" sounds way cooler anyways.

Huzzah!

Edited by OneBoot
2 people like this

Posted (edited)

These two went WAY faster, since there was so little skin showing. Suntan flesh for the shadows, Tanned skin for the midtone, and Tanned Highlight for the, um, highlight.

6pVpdESl.jpg

Sorry the picture isn't very good; the skin is a lot more distinguishable from the surrounding liner in person.

I think Slate Fistcrunch's face came out better, since I deliberately tried to make the midtone places bigger and the highlight spots smaller. He did end up with cheekbones sharp enough to cut bread with, though. :lol:

As far as issues, just another smooshed left ear, on Thick McRunFast:

hQKK5CYl.jpg

I dunno what the Bones molds seem to have against left ears, lol.

I'm going to be taking a break to figure out which colors I want to work on next, plus get dinner and a couple chores out of the way. I think I'll primarily focus on the Demon Hunter first, since she has the least amount of fiddly stuff.

Huzzah!

Edited by OneBoot
Corrected names
22 people like this

Woo-hoo!

>jumps on the couch with a bowl of popcorn and settles in<

Go, OneBoot!!

I'm quite liking the look of the sepia liner, thanks for using that. Very glad I got some of that with my Bones 3 stuff.

P.S. Your finger nails look all sparkly and cool.:upside:

1 person likes this

Ooooh, I really like the sepia liner too.

I could totally see leaving some minis just looking like that for some kind of stylized game.

3 people like this