Two21B

Femme Fatal

15 posts in this topic

Good people of the Reaper Forums: 

It's been a while since my first WIP (that I never finished) and I am currently working on the Deadlands Noir: Femme Fatal model. I love this sculpt and I am really liking my progress on her so far. She's so sassy! 

Anyway, I have been struggling with the blue of her dress and I think I'm finally gotten most of it to the color that I want. However, I think my shadows just make her dress look dirty instead of like a shadow in her dress, so I am hoping for some insight and advice. I think I know the problem, but just want to be sure. The blue of her dress is Reaper's Brillint Blue, and the shadows are a Regal Purple and some of the Brilliant Blue mixed in. I think there lies the problem, the purple is too close to the blue? I thought that help add some dimension to the shadows, but I think it just made it look muddy instead. Could anyone confirm? And if so, offer suggestions as to what I could use instead? Shadows and highlights are still a big obstacle for me, so any advice would be a godsend! 

Thanks a bunch!! 

Oh, also. Sorry about the picture quality. I am using my iPhone camera as I don't have a proper picture set up yet. If these are hard to see, let me know and I'll try to upload better ones! 

IMG_2700.JPG

IMG_2701.JPG

19 people like this

I see what you're talking about. It doesn't look all that brown in the image but if it's more brown in person than switching to a really dark blue or mixing in a little black might be worth a shot. I've used Nightshade Purple to shade blue cloth a few times and haven't had that issue, but I haven't tried it with Brilliant Blue. Sometimes a specific blue and purple combo can mix into an odd color. If you have another dark purple you may want to try mixing it with Brilliant Blue on a piece of scrap sprue and see if the mix is closer to what you're looking for. If your shadow color isn't working, a safety net for blue is generally a little black mixed into the base blue.

I think adding slightly stronger highlights in a few places might get it a little closer to something like the example below. It isn't a high contrast example, but sometimes a little pushing with highlights can help show off the cloth's shape and accentuate the shadows. 

The highlights you have on the shoulders, breasts, hips, back and the back hem look very nice but could come up a tiny bit. Adding similar highlights along her front thighs and the bottom front hem of the dress might also help.

05f3787b8a86f1af8a800c27342e57b0.jpg

3 people like this

Thanks so much for your reply! My the solution is as simple as adding black into the base color and I'm just over thinking it. As far as the highlights go, I actually haven't added any in yet! Those are just from the overhead lamp I'm using, and im not sure if it's good or bad that they showed up the way they did. At least I'll have a reference for when I do add in the highlights! :poke: I think you're right about how much of a difference highlights on the skirt will have once they've been added in. I'll give it a shot and see how I feel about it then. 

Thanks so much again for your advice! 

2 people like this

Anytime! ^‿^ There are some really nice colors other than black for shading blue, but black always works in a pinch. I've had success using Nightshade Purple, Coal Black and Corporeal Shadow, but I don't have Brilliant Blue so I was was always shading other blues.

You never know, someday you may need a really cool-toned brown shadow color and you'll be able to pull out a mix of Brilliant Blue and Regal Purple. It could end up in your "paint trick" arsenal! 

1 person likes this

Cool figure and you're off to a great start!  

And don't worry about finishing... most of us have a healthy shelf of shame of unfinished projects... :B):

2 people like this

4 hours ago, Rahz said:

Cool figure and you're off to a great start!  

And don't worry about finishing... most of us have a healthy shelf of shame of unfinished projects... :B):

Quoted for truth! :upside:

1 person likes this

I think part of the problem that you're seeing is caused by the width of the shadow area, especially on the back of the dress. That depth of shadow would usually only be seen in very dramatic lighting or on narrower areas, and the highlights on the shoulders (for instance) don't support the "very dramatic light" interpretation.

If you were to create a lighter area or two to represent very shallow waves of fabric in the back of the dress, I think your result would be better.

And I agree that adding highlights will make the dress read better.

1 person likes this

Oh thanks for the tip @Doug Sundseth! That makes a lot of sense. I'll narrow it down and through some highlights on and see how I feel about it then. 

2 people like this

Alright, I've done some more work on the dress. I'm still not entirely happy with it, something just doesn't look right to me. But I've added highlights and adjusted the size of my shadows and I think it looks much better than before. I have to move on though as I've already spent 3-4 hours on the dress alone. I've gotta keep trucking! 

I went from Brilliant Blue to Sapphire Blue and then up to True Blue. Definite improvements, but not where I would like it to be. 

Next I will work on gloves, her gun, and shoes. I hope to have her finished by Saturday so I can move on to the next one. I have absolutely no idea how to do her gun, so any tips or suggestions would be awesome. As well as any suggestions, critics, and the like for the rest of the project! 

Thanks for looking! 

IMG_2703.JPG

IMG_2704.JPG

10 people like this

When I am stuck on something not looking right moving on can be a good idea.  Sometimes a thought about a way to make it better will burble up while I am doing something else and I can do a bit of adjustment.  It also helps keep the painting fresh, if that makes sense.

I've found some simple approaches that seem to work okay for guns.  I paint them solid black or very dark blue first.  Then I drybrush a tiny bit of cold grey or metallic silver sideways over the corners and edges and they're done.  Sometimes I paint solid silver over the black (black under silver makes it pop more) and then go back in with a dark neutral wash color to bring out the details.

All this should be done before finishing the hands, since metallic paint gets on things and is hard to get off.

3 people like this

I've made a little bit of progress these past two days. I've been working a lot, so I haven't had a chance to do much, but I've been able to finish her gun and shoes at this point. @Pingo, thanks for the info about how to paint the guns. I tried both suggestions, and decided to go with the silver over a black base, and then do a dark wash over the top of it. I might change my mind later, but that's where I am at so far. 

The shoes were difficult for me, as has been most of this mini, actually. <_< I thought she would be simpler because there are less parts to get hung up on, but turns out that the lack of over detail made it more diffult to determine where the shadows and highlights should go. I imagine I will get better at figuring it out as I paint more. 

Anyway, this is what I've got so far. The shoes I painted with a mix of Dark Elf Shadow and Pure Black, washed with Nuln Oil (which didn't change much) and then I did some highlights up to shadowed stone. I attempted glazing for the first time and found that I liked the effect a lot, even if my contrast is too low. It really helped to blend the colors together and I imagine that I will be utilizing this technique a lot. Tomorrow I will finish the gloves, hair, and hat, and then do some touch ups, and she'll be done! I hope to have my first Show Off post tomorrow! ::D:

Thanks for looking and any wisdom that may be provided! 

IMG_2707.JPG

IMG_2708.JPG

13 people like this

Another update! I've got the gloves and hair almost done. I'm off to work for a few hours though, and plan to finish the rest of her tonight. I am not happy with the gloves, more contrast issues, but I'm pretty happy with the hair! I'm gonna go up to leather brown I think. Hopefully the highlights look like actual light instead of highlighted hair, since that's not what I am going for. 

I am really struggling with the black and how to highlight/add more contrast. I've got a general sense of where the highlights should go, but once I put brush to figure it seems I lose any direction I had and just put paint on the figure wherever I can. Hopefully I'll get over that in time. 

Hopefully my next post will be in show off this evening!! Thanks everyone for all of your help! 

Oh, also. I decided to crop the photos so you can see the figure better, for some reason that never occurred to me until earlier today. :rolleyes: So I am sorry if the pictures are blurry, shaky hands and iPhones don't mix well for picture taking. 

Also again, please excuse the blob of brown under her left eyebrow and the lack of a right one. Like I said, shaky hands and I don't have time to fix it before work. WIPs aren't supposed to be perfect, right?? :poke:

IMG_2710.JPG

IMG_2711.JPG

11 people like this

She's looking good!  The blue dress does look a lot better and her hair could be done now (or not) depending on how much you want to move on.  

Black is a really tricky color to highlight, and sometimes it helps to think about what type of material it is.  Black leather is going to have much stronger reflective properties than black wool, and her gloves could be either.  Looking forward to finding out what color her hat is!  ^_^

1 person likes this

Thanks so much! She's all finished and on the Show Off board. Now I just have to figure out how to put her in her base...