Froggy the Great

Randomness XII: Eighteen! Purple! Squirrels!

6138 posts in this topic

It is a pervasive evil...

4 people like this

Having read what some of you people are going through makes me a bit ashamed.

I have a good life, still I feel a bit down and insecure about silly stuff like the future.

Brainweasels are on the attack!

And here you are having realtime issues.

Good vibes to you all.

7 people like this

Posted (edited)

I got up way too early today and I've got a ton of stuff to do before I head to my mom's house. I'm staying there until Thursday then going to see my nieces sometime between then and Saturday. Definitely on Saturday since we all plan to go to Seattle for a day of museum going. 

While I'm at my mom's I plan on making pockets to put into my pants and shorts. Mostly because I bought a new pair of pants and shorts and neither of them have front pockets...

ETA: So yesterday when we were at the mall to pick up my shoes I saw this gorgeous cabinet, probably for displaying fancy dishes/glassware, and thought it'd make an amazing display case for my minis. Then I saw the price. At half off it was $4400 USD. I literally said "This would make an amazing display case...*insert shocked noise* nevermind."

Edited by SparrowMarie
9 people like this

Ok, this cat is seriously insecure.

6 people like this

Posted (edited)

Brain weasels are evil. Mine are leaving me alone today so far. *knock on wood*

My cat is insecure, but someone abandoned her on the streets at about 15 years old. We took her in, that was 10 years ago... and she still follows us around like a little furry shadow and cries if one of us is late getting home. 

Edited by Argentee
9 people like this

What a lovely morning. I woke to the sound of rain. My cats being exceptionally adorable. It was hard to get out of bed this morning. I was so relaxed. Made some breakfast, watched some Pack & Rec then went to work. Ahhh. Enjoying Coffee and Chocolate covered raisins. 

rainy-day-coffee-1.jpg

8 people like this

6 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Life is depressing.

Reveal hidden contents

So, this whole move with my dad has made it glaringly obvious that his mental state has declined dramatically over the last year. My mom came to town to help with him today (allowing me to finally sleep) and she saw all sorts of reason for increased concern. 

My paternal grandmother died of something that gave her dementia. Now we're worried the same thing is happening to my dad, only much quicker. 

My brother and I need to decide what we can do quickly to help him. My oldest brother is in denial about. 

But omg, this is so hard. And I don't know what to do. And I feel so fricken helpless and scared and sad. My dad must be terrified.

Dang, girl your life is mirroring mine. I wouldn't wish that on anybody. I have way more experience with Alzheimers/dementia than anybody my age should have. My dad took care of a bunch of relatives that didn't have kids of their own when I was younger. Both Grandmas had it but they've been gone for 20 years now. Now my dad has it and my mom is showing some signs. One of the hardest things I ever did was help my mom put dad into a nursing home. After he was admitted my big sister stepped in and tried to do everything for him and it nearly gave her a nervous breakdown. Her husband blames me for it because I couldn't help her much but nobody helped me and mom for several years leading up to it. Big brother just sits and complains about how nothing we do is right. He couldn't be bothered to visit my parents for years and now he's upset.

Not a lot of advice I can give about it. Every person and situation is different. Try to discuss it with your family but I know how hard that can be. Things like this are hard enough without people causing trouble. Start looking for options so you can be prepared as it gets worse. That's a killer with this because it will get worse and any treatments are just delaying tactics. But even a delay is better than nothing. What I've found is that I can be logically prepared for things but sometimes get blindsided by the emotional side. Most of all do what you need to to keep your sanity. It hurts not being able to fix things but if you get broken then there's nothing you can do for anyone.

My dad's back in my home town now. I don't go and visit him as much as I should because it's hard. The person I lived with and supported all my life isn't there anymore. I can visit with him but his memory has totally short circuited. Some times we can talk for a half hour before everything resets and we start over. Sometimes it's 5 minutes. When I talk to him he remembers my family and asks about them but other people say he doesn't recognise them and can't remember about their families. Sometimes he wants to know how his parents are (they've been dead for over 20 years) and some days he knows better. No fun at all.

4 people like this

1 minute ago, Zink said:

Dang, girl your life is mirroring mine. I wouldn't wish that on anybody. I have way more experience with Alzheimers/dementia than anybody my age should have. My dad took care of a bunch of relatives that didn't have kids of their own when I was younger. Both Grandmas had it but they've been gone for 20 years now. Now my dad has it and my mom is showing some signs. One of the hardest things I ever did was help my mom put dad into a nursing home. After he was admitted my big sister stepped in and tried to do everything for him and it nearly gave her a nervous breakdown. Her husband blames me for it because I couldn't help her much but nobody helped me and mom for several years leading up to it. Big brother just sits and complains about how nothing we do is right. He couldn't be bothered to visit my parents for years and now he's upset.

Not a lot of advice I can give about it. Every person and situation is different. Try to discuss it with your family but I know how hard that can be. Things like this are hard enough without people causing trouble. Start looking for options so you can be prepared as it gets worse. That's a killer with this because it will get worse and any treatments are just delaying tactics. But even a delay is better than nothing. What I've found is that I can be logically prepared for things but sometimes get blindsided by the emotional side. Most of all do what you need to to keep your sanity. It hurts not being able to fix things but if you get broken then there's nothing you can do for anyone.

My dad's back in my home town now. I don't go and visit him as much as I should because it's hard. The person I lived with and supported all my life isn't there anymore. I can visit with him but his memory has totally short circuited. Some times we can talk for a half hour before everything resets and we start over. Sometimes it's 5 minutes. When I talk to him he remembers my family and asks about them but other people say he doesn't recognise them and can't remember about their families. Sometimes he wants to know how his parents are (they've been dead for over 20 years) and some days he knows better. No fun at all.

Yeah.  Those days are hard.  We went through all of that with my wife's grandfather, and moved him into our house except for the last few months.  He lived in memories.  If you could catch on to where he was and participate, things went smoother.  If you tried to get him to join the here and now, it always confused and frightened him.  I never could get his wife and daughter to understand that.  

Don't try to get them to understand.  Let them live where they are at that moment.  As a result, I continued to be a part of his adventures.  Some days I was a soldier, or in the navy.  Sometimes we worked on the railroads.  He would sometimes go back into storyteller mode where he could retell me the stories he did in days gone by... and every now and then add in a new wrinkle.  I learned not to correct him and we had some very good days together.  The hardest was when he was missing his wife (who he didn't recognize sitting next to him) or being afraid of his dad (where he nearly punched out a nurse who was trying to help him into a wheelchair).  

It's a hard journey.  No lie.  No easy way through it. But you'll be glad you made it.

6 people like this

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Thank you, everyone. I try not to post that stuff too much, but like, breaking down and crying at work isn't terribly professional. And then I try to disperse my cloud of gloom with silly stuff. :unsure:

Please feel free to vent if you need to, it's much healthier than trying to bottle it up.

1 hour ago, SparrowMarie said:

ETA: So yesterday when we were at the mall to pick up my shoes I saw this gorgeous cabinet, probably for displaying fancy dishes/glassware, and thought it'd make an amazing display case for my minis. Then I saw the price. At half off it was $4400 USD. I literally said "This would make an amazing display case...*insert shocked noise* nevermind."

$4400 was HALF price?!?:wow:

Congratulations, you're a better person than me; I would have had some rude words to say about that.

Work today----everyone here is stupid. I can see a lot of tongue biting in my immediate future...

Also, let it hereby be known that forum member Grayfax will be publicly flogged today at noon. He made a faux pas yesterday, and his punishment has been set at 1,000 lashes with a wet noodle.

Edited by Chaoswolf
7 people like this

4 minutes ago, Grayfax said:

Yeah.  Those days are hard.  We went through all of that with my wife's grandfather, and moved him into our house except for the last few months.  He lived in memories.  If you could catch on to where he was and participate, things went smoother.  If you tried to get him to join the here and now, it always confused and frightened him.  I never could get his wife and daughter to understand that.  

Don't try to get them to understand.  Let them live where they are at that moment.  As a result, I continued to be a part of his adventures.  Some days I was a soldier, or in the navy.  Sometimes we worked on the railroads.  He would sometimes go back into storyteller mode where he could retell me the stories he did in days gone by... and every now and then add in a new wrinkle.  I learned not to correct him and we had some very good days together.  The hardest was when he was missing his wife (who he didn't recognize sitting next to him) or being afraid of his dad (where he nearly punched out a nurse who was trying to help him into a wheelchair).  

It's a hard journey.  No lie.  No easy way through it. But you'll be glad you made it.

When dad's memory first started going my mom always wanted to argue with him and "straighten him out". Which was a bit amusing as her memory was always worse than his up to that point. I eventually told her to quit arguing. It doesn't do any good. Even if you win in a couple hours he won't know. All you're doing is upsetting him and yourself. For a long time dad would repeat the same stories I'd heard all my life. This spring he started saying things that weren't true and didn't happen but were plausible. The last couple months there's not much of a connection to reality anymore.

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Please feel free to vent if you need to, it's much healthier than trying to bottle it up.

Congratulations, you're a better person than me; I would have had some rude words to say about that.

Work today----everyone here is stupid. I can see a lot of tongue biting in my immediate future...

Also, let it hereby be known that forum member Greyfax will be publicly flogged today at noon. He made a faux pas yesterday, and his punishment has been set at 1,000 lashes with a wet noodle.

So Grayfax is off the hook then?:devil:

4 people like this

So I finished most of my painting this morning before work... just had to do a wash on one figure's base, maybe another wash on the terrain, and the eyes on the harpy...

And I just realized, the harpy is Bare-chested. Not allowed in show off forums.

So during lunch I'll be painting a little brass bra on the harpy.

6 people like this

Well, there ya go!

*sigh* Tine to start the day. Wait, "tune"? Gah! Time, autocorrupt, T-I-M-E. I swear, I should just turn that feature off. 

2 people like this

A spayed brush would be more appropriate.

ETA: vice a wet noodle.  Teach me not to quote.

3 people like this

5 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Life is depressing.

My stepdad is going through the early-middle stages of Alzheimer's. It's definitely a rough thing to go through. My mom is a nurse and works in a nursing home where she deals with it at work too. I commend her for her will power. I start thinking about it and just break down most days. *sends hugs*

On another note, I'm almost done with my dragon. I haven't gotten to look at it in really good light yet but I think it's reading purpley-black in a good way. I've still got the claws, teeth, and maybe some spikes/horns in a bone-y color.

7 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Yeah that was half price unless someone forgot to change the tag to the sales tag. I definitely thought some rude words but try not to burst out into them in public most days. 

4 people like this