Froggy the Great

Randomness XII: Eighteen! Purple! Squirrels!

8289 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Loim said:

The weather here is very nearly perfect. Needs to be a bit cooler, and a hard frost would be nice. 

Too many bugs? Kinda early for a hard frost... 

I totally forgot to have breakfast this morning.

Trying to find a pet sitter for the dogs. One of the downsides of moving to a new place, no built in support network of friends to call on. *sigh*

7 people like this

It is a bit early for a frost, but squirrel hunting before a frost is not my cup of tea. So yeah, bugs :). 

5 people like this

I have a backyard full of squirrels, and rabbits that are just begging to be hunted. 

---

Anyways, complaint about slow computer now actually submitted. I had tried to submit it before, but was pretty much told "No. It won't do any good. No one is getting their computer replaced." And I had to smile and tell them serveral

times that I wanted mine reported because even though I'm sure it will still be no, how do the power that be know there is a problem with everyone's computer if we don't report all the problems? 

*smiles* *smiles* *smiles*

No feelings of rage here. Nope nope nope. 

12 people like this

49 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

Day 2 of vacation. Have seen things, ate lots of good food and had a tour cancelled on me... Well I guess now's a good time for a shower before dinner.

Classic! :blush:  I think there are Cuneiform tablets that say the equivalent of this. :wub:

Have a great vacation!

11 people like this

Got some rabbits I think living underneath the brush mower that's been parked out in the front yard for nearly a year now. They often run ahead of me in the driveway when I pull in, for some reason, before finally cutting into the cornfield.

The Aussie caught a sniff of them the other day. Kind of surprised I'm not still waiting for her to come back inside.

6 people like this

I work in computer support...   

In my organisation, it's the IT support people who decide if a PC needs to be replaced. 

If a mangler says a PC needs to be replaced; we fix it out of spite...  

(They can request new PCs for new hires. Nothing else. )

Anyway, in my organisation, we sort PCs into distinct categories;

1. In support. (we buy them with 3year next day onsite support... and still get a good price. We buy a lot of PCs) 

These PCs get it all; trained monkeys to swap out dodgy motherboards, new batteries(those we usually have to buy. Only 12month warranty on batteries), more RAM, or even larger and better SSDs... 

2. Still alive. Usually from 3 - 5 years. At just over 3 years we'll consider getting a new battery, but usually, we pull a good one from a broken machine, unless we know the user REALLY needs a good one. Reinstalls happens. We may upgrade RAM, if we think it will extend the life with a year or more... Big HW issues like a bad motherboard or anything we can't pull from another damage machine will get it swapped out. 

3. Do not Rescusitate. These are on the 'replace when dead' We'll consider replacing it if it needs a reinstall. HW issues = junk&replace. For Laptops, this lasts to the end of the 6th year or so.

4. 'Replace at sight'. 

Exceptions may occur, of course. We replaced the HDDs on a series of HP EliteBook 8440 laptops after the warranty expired. (And used Samsumg 840 256GB SSDs... )

Those were placed on the 'do not rescusitate' list three years ago, and we've still not managed to replace them all. The users don't WANT new laptops. "But it works!" 

They're going to become a problem when we start switching to Win10 early next year...  

How old is your PC?

Anyways, I will NOT reccommend ay attempt at fixing any issues yourself, no matter how tempting. 

10 people like this

2 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

wrong hammer! though now I may need to add "the mc the ends the world" to the pile of crazy future antagonist pile.

5 people like this

2 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

* Only sort of "regrettably", since my son is still in HS and living at home. So I don't want that joy just right now. Later should be soon enough.

My oldest son has his BA and turns 26 this fall.  I'm ready to be a grandmother whenever he gets around to marrying his girlfriend.

2 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

It hasn't rained in over a week I'm ok with this. 

I think it's rained once or twice since mid June..  I could really use a good week of rain.  :zombie:

12 people like this

Beautiful day here in the mid Hudson Valley, perfect for elfing off on my b day. ..

12 people like this

4 hours ago, redambrosia said:

It's a beautiful day here too... :squint: This must mean the world is about to end :huh:

*peeks outside*

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood over here too. 

...I don't trust it. Better remain inside where I'm safe from drop bears. 

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

11 people like this

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

That seems much closer.

My plan is more like this

planethammer.png

7 people like this

28 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

*peeks outside*

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood over here too. 

...I don't trust it. Better remain inside where I'm safe from drop bears. 

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Or Trapdoor Alligators.... *nods*

spacer.gifhttp://somethingpositive.net/sp11222002.shtml

8 people like this

It's bright and sunny and thankfully not hot enough that I start sweating after walking two blocks. Now to summon the motivation to actually get something done. 

5 people like this

Soooo.... At the Bones IV party, Bryan and Ludo were being silly geese and got matching balloon antlers, claiming to be "Devout Morihaldans." 

Red Ambrosia said, "Ahh, devotee of morihalda, a perfect reapercon ribbon!"

What would be a good phrase to put on a ribbon that doesn't smugly sound like, "oooh look at me, come get my Mori ribbon!" 

'Cause I want silly, not pretentious. :zombie: 

11 people like this

6 hours ago, Froggy the Great said:

Ok, the kid is bouncing from furniture to furniture to game to the dog to the furniture to the dog, doing baby-talk all the while and is completely out of control.  I'd kick him outside, but there's a tropical storm on.

AAAAAAAAA!

Whip up a small hang-glider and teach him to use it, then fasten it securely to the ground with about a thousand meters of non-conductive cable. It should keep him entertained for hours...

9 people like this