Froggy the Great

Randomness XII: Eighteen! Purple! Squirrels!

7 minutes ago, Crowley said:

*cough*

Na...

No! I'm being honest! They were in a hiring crunch at the time. I call it getting in under Operation Bootstrap (Simpsons joke; how Homer was hired).

Luckily, I can say my marriage was done with the highest of standards. MIL culled a lot of competitors.

• Like 12

Today feels like it is going in slow mo and I am going in fast forward.

*** Looks at coffee mug ***

*** Begins counting... 1, 2, 3...4? ***

Hmmm... nah... that's just a correlation...

Here's hoping that when I get home I have the same speed enabled... I have a couple of things that have to be done tonight, but I think I need to do a dry fit of the main components of my diorama...

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

@Pingo thx!

My English is usually pretty good, sometimes I mix stuff up...

Also, food terms can be somewhat regional. Defining those terms can involve drunken fistfights.

• Like 9

First thought upon seeing the first Starfinder AP entry: Paizo gettin' greedy. 60 pages but proudly priced at $22.99. Yikes.

That's turrible, Kenny.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

Also, food terms can be somewhat regional. Defining those terms can involve drunken fistfights.

Ah Dinner and a Show!

• Like 11

12 minutes ago, Marvin said:

First thought upon seeing the first Starfinder AP entry: Paizo gettin' greedy. 60 pages but proudly priced at $22.99. Yikes.

That's turrible, Kenny.

That's not too bad.  Most of the smaller books they have are half that size for almost that price.  Of course, the PDF price is much nicer.

• Like 2

Eh. They have shot the PF APs up to $24.99, which is too high, but they're at least 90 pages.

Guess I was expecting more supplemental material for rolling out a new line. Not super impressive at first look.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

@Pingo thx!

My English is usually pretty good, sometimes I mix stuff up...

Your written english is a lot better than most native speakers I know. But then you're probably trying to appear coherent. I'm getting so I get stuck between russian and english. I'm incoherent in two languages when speaking. Yay, me.

Woke up this morning to a wierd orange glow. Oldest sone asked, "Dad, why has the world turned orange?" I told him because everything from here to California and Alaska is burning.

A distant cousin of my dad's wanted to do the DNA test of some people here. She's from Arizona. They got the results back a few weeks ago. Vague to say the least which I hear is fairly normal. Only two things kind of stood out on my dad's. His grandmother was Souix back before there was much mixing and his test showed 18% Native American. He should be 25%. And he had a few percent of Finnish/northwest Russian. Considering that the furthest back we know of his family is the people who immigrated to North America in the mid 1800s anything could be possible. Europe isn't really that big and people did move around. Mom's family is much better documented and about the only things I'm not aware of on her side is asian, african and greek.

• Like 10

Yeah, my Dad's DNA test yielded an interesting surprise. Supposedly, my grandmother's grandmother was half Native, and was left on a doorstep of a church. DNA disagreed, as no evidence of that ethnicity existed for him nor his sister. He should have been 1/16th or so, not zero.

That led to the thought of who would claim to be part minority back then? It doesn't seem like it would be helpful at all, yet that is what the family lore said. Just bigger mysteries that probably will be unsolved for all time.

• Like 5

Huh. Literally everyone in my wife's family has deleted me on Facebook. I wonder if this means something.

IMG_0356.png

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Huh. Literally everyone in my wife's family has deleted me on Facebook. I wonder if this means something.

Probably nothing...carry on!

• Like 4

This may be just the delusional paranoia talking, but does it not bother people that these DNA-testing services collect and sell the genetic information acquired in these processes to various corporations working to monetize the human genome and so on?

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

That led to the thought of who would claim to be part minority back then? It doesn't seem like it would be helpful at all, yet that is what the family lore said. Just bigger mysteries that probably will be unsolved for all time.

My dad had a great great grandfather (so my great x3 grandfather) who was totally Cherokee honest. There were photos which caused a lot of smiling and nodding and "suuuuuure"s in the modern era but everyone born before 1940 insisted, totally Cherokee honest. But it makes sense in context. They were a Black/White interracial couple in the American South in the late 19th century, of course everyone was going to claim the guy was totally Cherokee honest. It was basic protection against lynching.

So of course after the DNA test blew the charade apart everyone born before 1940, and the many family members born after who disapprove of my sister's marriage, still insist said ancestor was totally Cherokee honest. Another reason why I haven't been to a family reunion in 15 years.

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, Marvin said:

This may be just the delusional paranoia talking, but does it not bother people that these DNA-testing services collect and sell the genetic information acquired in these processes to various corporations working to monetize the human genome and so on?

Oh, no, they are. They absolutely are. Medical and genetic data are very lucrative nowadays. I'm more worried about the data that disappears into the black market, where is that going and what will be done with it?

Of course I'd be called a paranoid autistic if I tried to warn people. Thus both of my parents got their genomes sequenced, allowing anyone with basic statistics knowledge (like me) to figure my genome. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I am less worried about monetization, and more worried about abuses like it being scooped up via national security letter, and rolled into an identification database. same as I worry about the wide spread use of fingerprints as unlock codes for phones.

but yes, unless it is being used specifically for medical diagnosis and then destroyed, the existence of a full sequence of my DNA seems like a bad risk. 

• Like 6