Froggy the Great

Randomness XII: Eighteen! Purple! Squirrels!

8414 posts in this topic

37 minutes ago, Zink said:

Your written english is a lot better than most native speakers I know. But then you're probably trying to appear coherent. I'm getting so I get stuck between russian and english. I'm incoherent in two languages when speaking. 

Seriously, the non-native English speakers who dwell on the forums have really solid writing. After grading science papers and homework from native-speakers, this is easy reading. I wouldn't have known unless you mention it. Science kids need more writing classes. 

13 people like this

9 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Did you not get rain at the end of last week? It rained on Friday and Saturday here. Just a little, but it was lovely! Washed some of the ash away :rolleyes:

Yay! I'm helping!

If I get some antlers, can I have one even though I'm not going to reapercon? :huh:

My my toe is feeling better. The doctor gave me some anitbotics and some stuff to do to bring down the swelling. Oddly, she seemed as adverse to chopping it off as my hubby. :rolleyes:

Of course! ^_^

I'm glad your toe is better!

7 people like this

Finally heard word from family in Miami. Guess I shouldn't complain about the heat since they have no electricity for fans or AC.

8 people like this

37 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Huh. Literally everyone in my wife's family has deleted me on Facebook. I wonder if this means something.

You were absolutely charming in the Bones Kickstarter comments, so I don't know what's up.

Edited by Pingo
Removed double post
6 people like this

26 minutes ago, Marvin said:

This may be just the delusional paranoia talking, but does it not bother people that these DNA-testing services collect and sell the genetic information acquired in these processes to various corporations working to monetize the human genome and so on?

Oh it bothers me plenty.  Which is why I can't be bothered to look into it.  Why should I?  My parents were both born in Denmark and the records there are extensive.  My mom's been able to trace people back to the 1600s.  However, since I've got brown eyes, I know there's something other than pure Viking in my family past.  I'd rather romanticize it than know the ugly truth.  Besides, my entire family is still as Danish.  

9 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

I am less worried about monetization, and more worried about abuses like it being scooped up via national security letter, and rolled into an identification database. same as I worry about the wide spread use of fingerprints as unlock codes for phones.

but yes, unless it is being used specifically for medical diagnosis and then destroyed, the existence of a full sequence of my DNA seems like a bad risk. 

This is pretty much the reason why we did actually get one DNA test done.  Testing to find out how the body processes medication is incredibly useful when you're trying to figure out why the meds don't work.  

7 people like this

42 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

Yeah, my Dad's DNA test yielded an interesting surprise. Supposedly, my grandmother's grandmother was half Native, and was left on a doorstep of a church. DNA disagreed, as no evidence of that ethnicity existed for him nor his sister. He should have been 1/16th or so, not zero.

That led to the thought of who would claim to be part minority back then? It doesn't seem like it would be helpful at all, yet that is what the family lore said. Just bigger mysteries that probably will be unsolved for all time.

Claiming to be part Native American has been quite fashionable at times.  There is a long tradtition of romanticizing Native Americans as exotic and vaguely desirable (but of course, historic and absent from modern life).

There were times when it would have been less painful to claim Native American ancestry than African or Italian or some other group considered undesirable at the time.

2 people like this

5 hours ago, pcktlnt said:

. Adult life seemed so different when I was a child. 

Yes, it certainly did.

5 hours ago, Grayfax said:

Early lunch... long lunch... makes the day go faster.

Of course, it helps if you have comp time or some other mechanism to leverage for a longer lunch periodically...

See below...

5 hours ago, Crowley said:

The whole not having to badge in and out helps with that. :devil:

Yes, it definitely does.

So does our very loose policy: 'you have x minutes for lunch, use it whenever you want to'

Edited by Chaoswolf
7 people like this

And time to call it a day... And take care of my stupidly long to do list for tonight. 

Taco Tuesday!!

7 people like this

At my favorite assignment of the year. Paramedic science graduation/pinning. 

Another 7 of them just got their credentials. 

9 people like this

Awesome.

During the days I was sick at home a friend asked me to repair an old Matchbox Lesney car that has been in his family since the sixties or so (at least that's what he said).

They had redone it several times and repainted it and stuff and as it was a very dear piece to his father, he now wanted to have it completely refurbished.

Sure. No problem, I said.

What he gave me was this:

jykm-2dr-5570.jpg

It really took me weeks to clean it entirely and fill up some of the broken areas. I couldn't repair everything, as the car is really old and therefore quite stable in specific areas, so I was afraid I would break it trying to flatten some of the bulges. Repainted it according to his wishes ... that is what the original looks like:

Original Austin Metropolitan Taxi

And my version:

jykm-2hf-eda0.jpg

jykm-2hg-77ab.jpg

Also made a small show case for it out of a stamp set case and a blister sponge.

When I gave it to him he was so happy and impressed that he - though I didn't want any money for it - gave me 35 Euros (approx. 41 dollars) and a set of different pieces of chocolate.

I am a bit stunned. Didn't know I'd be able to make someone that happy. Well, i guess - mission accomplished.

Edited by Knochensack
Grammar Warfare
17 people like this

Mmm, chocolate.

7 people like this

Just now, Marvin said:

Mmm, chocolate.

Sorry. I already ate it.

10 people like this

Yesterday was 16 years after 9/11. A dark day. Commemorations were held. Some solemn moments.

Then I opened Facebook, and get assaulted by all the conspiracy theories that have also been running for 16 years. Not quite as solemn.

6 people like this

Ah, truthers. Gotta love 'em.

2 people like this

I'm not saying it was aliens, but it was aliens.

9 people like this